ADVERTISEMENT

Progressive Resistance Training _ hate to add another OT but need help

PSU-Knocker

Jun 4, 2013
Obviously I'm an older lifter. What I'm having trouble with is a plateau. I can't seem to advance my loading during any of my exercises. I have been doing two sets of ten to twelve reps. and have been stuck at the same weights for about six weeks. My joints really ache when I'm doing these exercises, so I believe I'm pushing my bodies limits. Am training about three times/week.
This is disturbing because I feel that I'm not making progress - wasting my time (when I could be wasting it here). :)
Can anybody offer solutions? I'm thinking about taking a couple of weeks off. Would this help?

Obviously I'm an older lifter. What I'm having trouble with is a plateau. I can't seem to advance my loading during any of my exercises. I have been doing two sets of ten to twelve reps. and have been stuck at the same weights for about six weeks. My joints really ache when I'm doing these exercises, so I believe I'm pushing my bodies limits. Am training about three times/week.
This is disturbing because I feel that I'm not making progress - wasting my time (when I could be wasting it here). :)
Can anybody offer solutions? I'm thinking about taking a couple of weeks off. Would this help?
I'm probably older than you, but taking a week or two off is helpful to me every now and then. Also when you do resume, try increasing your reps rather than increasing weight if your joints are hurting.

Tread carefully in taking the advice of anyone on this board except Felli, on this topic. To me, ten-twelve reps is too much. I consider three sets of six or seven reps to be about right. Another standard answer is that you're plateauing because you're not doing anything different; that's something I sort of agree with.

Look, not that I know anything, but I've always found Dan John on t-nation.com to be really clearheaded about things, someone who really fosters the kind of self-examination you need to posess to improve in the gym. Here's his search results on that site: https://www.t-nation.com/searchResu...teurl=www.t-nation.com/&ref=&ss=1400j336642j8

You're doing too many reps if you want to increase weight ... Should be even lower than what LionJim said; try 3 sets of 5 reps; add weight on the last set and try to get to 5 each time. You'll be increasing in no time.

You need to vary sets , reps and exercises, deloading ( doing app 60% of weight and sets and reps every fourth week). Weight training is like saying eating it says very little specifically.

I do some higher reps, lower reps,medium reps and vary exercises as needed due to various factors.

You need to vary sets , reps and exercises, deloading ( doing app 60% of weight and sets and reps every fourth week). Weight training is like saying eating it says very little specifically.

I do some higher reps, lower reps,medium reps and vary exercises as needed due to various factors.
Also, it would help a whole lot if you came in with a written plan for your workout on a particular day. Tell yourself, "I'm going to do this because...." You have a plan, you stay focused, and you will get more out of your workout. Me, I had a great workout on Sunday, my best of the summer and a terrible workout today, my worst of the summer. I really needed to come in more focused.

Tread carefully in taking the advice of anyone on this board except Felli, on this topic.
This is funny because this is the only poster I have on ignore - and I'm not joshing.

I want to thank each of you for your responses - these are solutions I shall try.
It's not like I'm a weakling. I like to use the cable machines because the load can't fall on me and I am nearly always increasing the loading over the previous user by significant amounts.

Its important to always change up your routine to shock the muscles. Too long at one routine allows the muscles to adapt and stabilize. Do fewer/heavier reps for a few weeks, or do the exercises in reverse order. Maybe do lighter weights in a speed workout. Switch to free weights for a couple of weeks. Do negatives with a trusted spotter. Just change it up.

Its important to always change up your routine to shock the muscles. Too long at one routine allows the muscles to adapt and stabilize. Do fewer/heavier reps for a few weeks, or do the exercises in reverse order. Maybe do lighter weights in a speed workout. Switch to free weights for a couple of weeks. Do negatives with a trusted spotter. Just change it up.
or work with a spotter to get you thought the stick points.

Also, it would help a whole lot if you came in with a written plan for your workout on a particular day. Tell yourself, "I'm going to do this because...." You have a plan, you stay focused, and you will get more out of your workout. Me, I had a great workout on Sunday, my best of the summer and a terrible workout today, my worst of the summer. I really needed to come in more focused.

I always have a plan, I actually hired an online coach, Josh Bryant. He has a few books available on Amazon.

I have some shoulder issues, a knee issue and a strong back. so my coach works around the issues and we try to lift as much as possible weight wise with these restrictions. He will cycle up and down weights trying to improve while keep me healthy.

Ahhh, the riddle of steel!

I think the thoughts expressed here are pretty much spot on. I've gone through the same agg as you and agree with folks that changing things up... even just changing angles, slowing up the rep, or using HIIT as a jump-start every few days fools the body and allows you to make advances.

i also understand the joint thing.. my body was not designed to bp 350 [which i got to using a smith machine, loading ever-bigger plates, and letting my wrists adapt to the new weight, then moving it just a bit each day.. over time, the weight got bigger and the rep looked more like it's supposed to.. i gained about 40 pounds over a 6 month stretch... and my blood pressure went along for that ride..really bad idea] and my joints suffered... so i changed up and i like the results even though my number declined. rather than focus on bigger weight, i prefer feeling and looking great and the big number wasn't ideal for me.

so my best advice is to follow the consensus on this page... good luck and God bless you for staying in the game!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT