ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton at Rutgers...

Ashnault equally earned the win, as much as Kolodzik earned the loss. Ashnault was awesome. Kolodziki did absolutely nothing. Even when he was down 4-1, it was Ashnault who was on the attack. That was very impressive for Ashnault.

Princeton’s coach provided a little extra motivation by saying Ashnault couldn’t score on Kolodzik.
Not a good idea. Can you ever imagine Cael saying something like that?

...Ashnault dominated #1Kolodzick
10-2 ... !

125-Glory (P) WBF R0-P6
133-Suriano (R) WTF) R5-P6
141- (P) WDec R5-P9
149-Ashnault(R)WMD 10-2 R9-P9
157-VanBrill (R)WDec 9-3 R12-P9

Ayres said he couldn't score on Kolo and Ash held up ten fingers to the coach after the match. That was pretty funny!
Ayres needs to shut his piehole before matches.

I’m defense of Ayers, someone asked him a question of how he thought the match would go and said he didn’t think Ash could score. He also gave Ash a lot of credit. Even did another interview later saying in no way he was trash talking. He has a lot of respect for Ash.

The clip made a lot of headlines of course but in no way was he trying to talk trash. Ash obviously took it as bulletin board material and probably gave him a little more motivation

Ayers seems like a good dude and doing good job with the program.

Ashnault equally earned the win, as much as Kolodzik earned the loss. Ashnault was awesome. Kolodziki did absolutely nothing. Even when he was down 4-1, it was Ashnault who was on the attack. That was very impressive for Ashnault.
I don't recall Kolodzik taking a single legit shot from neutral.

Ayres said he couldn't score on Kolo and Ash held up ten fingers to the coach after the match. That was pretty funny!
Ayres needs to shut his piehole before matches.
Was wondering what the hell Ashnault was doing there, holding up ten fingers. LOL.

Wow. Dominating. Kolodzik never got close to offense. He’s either going to figure out how to close space and get to his ties or be willing to shoot from deep. Seemed like he could never get into Ashnault and never thought about shooting from separation.

Reactions: diggerpup
125-Glory(P) WBFall - Team P6-R0
133-Suriano(R) WTF 6-5
141-Keller(P) WDec 9-5
149-Ashnault(R) WMDec 9-9
157-Van Brill(R) WDec 9-12
165-Tiongson(P) WDec 12-12
174-Grello(R) WDec 12-15
184-Parker(P) WDec 15-15
197-Brucki(P) WDec 18-15
HWT- Colucci(R)WMDec 18-19 !!!

Colucci is a transfer from Lehigh...

Last edited:
I’m defense of Ayers, someone asked him a question of how he thought the match would go and said he didn’t think Ash could score. He also gave Ash a lot of credit. Even did another interview later saying in no way he was trash talking. He has a lot of respect for Ash.

The clip made a lot of headlines of course but in no way was he trying to talk trash. Ash obviously took it as bulletin board material and probably gave him a little more motivation

You may be right. However, one could take the position that a big-time wrestling coach needs to have better media awareness than to make a comment like that. Whether he intended to talk smack or not is quite beside the point after a comment like that. It reads like smack talk, regardless, and he should know better than that.

You may be right. However, one could take the position that a big-time wrestling coach needs to have better media awareness than to make a comment like that. Whether he intended to talk smack or not is quite beside the point after a comment like that. It reads like smack talk, regardless, and he should know better than that.

Which is why so many coaches answer questions like Bellicheck does with one word answers or no real answer at all. And when coaches answer like that the fans complain about that. It's a can't win situation for coaches.

Cut Ayers a break, he is trying to get some pub for his school which otherwise isnt getting any.

Its something Goodale has been riding to a perennial top 10 finish for years.

hate the game not the player.

...Ashnault dominated #1Kolodzick
10-2 ... !

125-Glory (P) WBF R0-P6
133-Suriano (R) WTF) R5-P6
141- (P) WDec R5-P9
149-Ashnault(R)WMD 10-2 R9-P9
157-VanBrill (R)WDec 9-3 R12-P9
A shame Princeton couldn't win out from here, because R12 might be the most apt Rutgers description ever. (Or second to Perennial Top 10 Rutgers.)

Which is why so many coaches answer questions like Bellicheck does with one word answers or no real answer at all. And when coaches answer like that the fans complain about that. It's a can't win situation for coaches.

All he had to say is that he thinks it will be a tough, low-scoring match. Period. There's honesty and there's stupidity. IMO, his comments fell in the latter category.

All he had to say is that he thinks it will be a tough, low-scoring match. Period. There's honesty and there's stupidity. IMO, his comments fell in the latter category.
And not just in hindsight either -- Ashnault beat Kolodzik at nationals a couple years ago.

I enjoy how Rutgers fans are falling all over themselves like they just beat Iowa instead of a short-handed Princeton team (by a point, at that). BOOM!

They are the best team in NJ and that means something.....

Reactions: danoftw
I don't recall Kolodzik taking a single legit shot from neutral.

Was wondering what the hell Ashnault was doing there, holding up ten fingers. LOL.
Kolo didn’t even take a half shot, even in the 3rd when he had to make something happen.

It wasn’t a big deal at all actually, and it didn’t effect the outcome of the match. Like ashnault wouldn’t have wrestled as hard if he didn’t say it, that’s silly. When ashnault came over to shake hands Ayers was smiling and half laughing about what ashnault did, they both were. It was actually a pretty cool moment, Ayers backed his belief in his wrestler and Ashnault showed out with his belief in himself. There was nothing negative about what happened before during or after the match whatsoever.

It wasn’t a big deal at all actually, and it didn’t effect the outcome of the match. Like ashnault wouldn’t have wrestled as hard if he didn’t say it, that’s silly. When ashnault came over to shake hands Ayers was smiling and half laughing about what ashnault did, they both were. It was actually a pretty cool moment, Ayers backed his belief in his wrestler and Ashnault showed out with his belief in himself. There was nothing negative about what happened before during or after the match whatsoever.

You're welcome to your view. Mine is different, to say the least. A smart head coach doesn't make inflammatory comments about an opponent, regardless of whether you think it impacts the match. And, judging by Ashnault's gestures it most certainly did provide extra motivation for him. Not that he needed it.

You're welcome to your view. Mine is different, to say the least. A smart head coach doesn't make inflammatory comments about an opponent, regardless of whether you think it impacts the match. And, judging by Ashnault's gestures it most certainly did provide extra motivation for him. Not that he needed it.
Think you are being overly harsh on coach Ayers , first he has done a great job in building Princeton wrestling. I think he has the best program in NJ and always comes across as a gracious individual. He and his staff are involved in the local wrestling community and doing what they can to grow it. Hard to think anyone would be this harsh who has met him.

Think you are being overly harsh on coach Ayers , first he has done a great job in building Princeton wrestling. I think he has the best program in NJ and always comes across as a gracious individual. He and his staff are involved in the local wrestling community and doing what they can to grow it. Hard to think anyone would be this harsh who has met him.

The staff's mat behavior at the Lehigh match was hilarious. It was like watching a bunch of 4 year olds in a bouncy castle. Nothing mean-spirited done by them but a total riot. I was LMAO the whole time.

Don't know enough about the man to make a character judgment. I'm only saying that, in this instance, he made a mistake. That's all.

Reactions: Dogwelder
The Princeton and RU programs are relatively friendly. We share an RTC with them. Now Kolodzik and Ashnault aren’t working out together, but the coaches and athletes know each other. Context is key here.

I’m probably the most “get off my lawn” person when it comes to celebrations/antics (everyone should do the Jason Nolf) but this was just a coach saying my guy is stingy and it getting blown outta proportion.

The Princeton and RU programs are relatively friendly. We share an RTC with them. Now Kolodzik and Ashnault aren’t working out together, but the coaches and athletes know each other. Context is key here.

I’m probably the most “get off my lawn” person when it comes to celebrations/antics (everyone should do the Jason Nolf) but this was just a coach saying my guy is stingy and it getting blown outta proportion.
Beat me to it. Ashnault and Ayers have a relationship from the shared RTC. This was them having some fun with each other, no different than in the room except out in the public.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT