ADVERTISEMENT

"Prevent"-you-from-winning defense

Playing prevent defense with 2:00 to go, the opponent starting from their own 25, and giving them 10-15 yards per play is dumb. OTOH, when there is only time for one more play and the opponent needs a long TD to win, you need to put six or seven guys in the end zone. What FSU did was dumb.

Reactions: psu00
Playing prevent defense with 2:00 to go, the opponent starting from their own 25, and giving them 10-15 yards per play is dumb. OTOH, when there is only time for one more play and the opponent needs a long TD to win, you need to put six or seven guys in the end zone. What FSU did was dumb.
Exactly. There’s a difference between letting the other team bleed you to death with those types of passes with that much time left and not playing prevent when the other team had time for one play and is 60 yards away.

has someone suggested that any defense is best to play all of the time? I must have missed that

I've seen a lot of commentary complaining about how prevent defense only prevents you from winning. Well, I guess this is an example of why coaches play prevent defense--FSU decided not to and paid the price: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-loss-jacksonville-state-totally-unacceptable
You are seriously over-simplifying the issue. The prevent defense is an essential tool in the toolbox just like tempo, RPO, read option, jumbo set, shotgun, pistol and any every schematic gimmick coaches have come up with over the years (aka wrinkles). Over-reliance on a gimmick or using it at inappropriate times is the problem. Florida didn't use it when they probably should have and paid for it. Tom Bradley went to the prevent much sooner than he should have against Michigan in 05 putting the game in the officials hands. Score, time, down and distance tends to drive these decisions. Sometimes it is based on a personnel limitation or who has momentums.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT