ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction thread for date on which major sporting events will resume in US with full crowds in USA.

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
I'll define "major sporting event" as follows.

Any regular season or playoff game in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, college football or men's college basketball.

The beginning of any major golf tournament, which is any major other than the British Open.

Indy 500.

Any of the three Triple Crown horse races.

Any major tennis tournament, which I think means just the US Open because the other majors are played elsewhere.

Add another major event if you think I forgot one.

And it has to be will a full crowd and without social distancing.

I'll go first. I'll guess July 4th.

Any regular season or playoff game in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, college football or men's college basketball.

The beginning of any major golf tournament, which is any major other than the British Open.

Indy 500.

Any major tennis tournament, which I think means just the US Open because the other majors are played elsewhere.

Sports will start again in fall but more than likely stadium capacity will be cut in half.

LdN

NHL and NBA will have each of their regular seasons shortened, and they will both begin on June 1, 2020. Playoffs will start for each of these sports in mid-June.

Baseball and Basketball July 1st. No hockey

I think this is closest to the truth (of any of the posts thus far). Though I do think there would be social distancing regulations at the start.

Hockey occasionally has issues with "ice in the arena for May/June game is not good because it is 85 degrees outside." That would be even more of an issue if they try to play in July & August.

I think this is closest to the truth (of any of the posts thus far). Though I do think there would be social distancing regulations at the start.

Hockey occasionally has issues with "ice in the arena for May/June game is not good because it is 85 degrees outside." That would be even more of an issue if they try to play in July & August.
If basketball resumes, hockey will too. They will either both resume or both will cancel. Hockey can start their games later (8:30 or 9PM start times) to avoid the heat issue.

If the virus returns in cold weather social distancing will continue next fall and the 2020 football season will be at risk. Even this summer, beaches, restaurants, concerts, and all stadium events will be threatened. People will continue to work from home and grocery orders and other retailers will shift to delivery.

Gut feeling is that this NBA and NHL season will be called off, Premier league will resume sometime in June behind closed doors, NFL will play behind closed doors starting in September, college football for 2020 will be called off.

Gut feeling is that this NBA and NHL season will be called off, Premier league will resume sometime in June behind closed doors, NFL will play behind closed doors starting in September, college football for 2020 will be called off.

Ugh

U.S. Open is talking about delaying the US Open until later in summer.

Although the United States Golf Association is sticking to its edict to have a decision by mid-April, a report in the New York Post on Thursday night said the U.S. Open would be postponed but with the intention of still playing at Winged Foot Golf Club in suburban New York later this year.

The 120th U.S. Open was scheduled for June 18-21 in Mamaroneck, New York, but the club was shut down several days ago in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and all worked halted in setting up the tournament.

"[We] remain hopeful about late summer, [maybe] early September,'' a source told the Post regarding a change in dates for the U.S. Open, adding that the club is "optimistic'' the event will take place at the venue that last hosted the championship in 2006, when Geoff Ogilvy was the winner.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/i...ording-report-usga-says-no-decision-mid-april

I think NBA and NHL are done for the season and will be surprised if we see any baseball, either. I am very worried about the NFL and NCAAF also. Man, I hope I am completely wrong.

NBA and NHL will be back, probably without fans. MLB will play a half season. Problem is the paranoia about this will last long after the disease is controlled. People will be afraid to be within 6 feet of someone for many months to come.

NBA and NHL will be back, probably without fans. MLB will play a half season. Problem is the paranoia about this will last long after the disease is controlled. People will be afraid to be within 6 feet of someone for many months to come.

And reasonably so. Lots of people don't know if they have had it or will have it. Realistically the only was to quell this before a vaccine is developed is to have widespread blood testing for antibodies to see if you truly have developed immunity. Until then everything is so foggy people won't know what to do.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
I saw this graph in a tweet. It is only Ohio but it shows how efforts are flattening the curve, at least in that state. Relative to this thread, it shows things aren't going to get better until May 1st at the soonest. I am afraid all major sports for this summer are over. I'll also be surprised if football is played, unless they find some kind of very effective treatment:

LKEGGCIKNJDBFOHSQQEAGWVWNU.png

Baseball will return no later than 6/15. All games will be televised but there will be no tickets sold. 70% of revenue, I believe, is TV. I look for the first few weeks to be played in Florida/Arizona at spring training sites and there will roster allowances.....I.E. I believe 3 additional pitchers.
This will permit a schedule that will permit MLB to play more games and hence maximize revenue. Its also possible that playoff and WS will be pushed back a month and games will be played a neutral warm weather venues.

Indy 500.

The Kentucky Derby

This’ll put a quiet end to the 40 minor league teams that MLB has on the chopping block. RIP state college spikes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT