ADVERTISEMENT

Predict who repeats as NCAA champion(s)

I'm confused. Are you saying 50 of 100 titles (10 years x 10 weight classes) were seniors?

I have no idea what you're talking about, Roar. :rolleyes:

Yes, that is what I said. I see that it was a mistake. There were 50 returning champs between 2007 and 2016. I used my logic to surmise that the other 50 were seniors. This is the sort of thinking that my college professors used to call "stupid."

I'm editing the original post again to clear that up.

Last edited:
Roar, a question back at you. Did you notice any trend that more underclassmen are becoming champs over time? I can't imagine a repeat of 1984 these days given the skill level of kids coming out of high school.

Only have 7 years handy, so not much history...and statistically speaking, can't prove or disprove anything. That said, here's some facts;

From 2010 through 2016;
-- 41% of NC's are Seniors
-- 24% are Juniors
-- 23% are Sophomores
-- 11% are Freshmen
-- and yes, 1% is missing due to rounding.

-- 7 Seniors were NC's in 2010, and it's been either 3 or 4 per year since.
-- Freshmen have won 2 NC's during 3 of these years (2010, 2014, and 2015)
-- 2016 was the only year of these 7 where Soph's and Freshmen equaled the number of NC's won by Seniors and Juniors (5), though in 2 years (2012 and 2014) Soph's and Freshmen won 4 of 10

I have no idea what you're talking about, Roar. :rolleyes:

Yes, that is what I said. I see that it was a mistake. There have been 50 returning repeat champs in the past 10 years. I used my logic to surmise that the other 50 were seniors. This is the sort of thinking that my college professors used to call "stupid."

I'm editing the original post again to clear that up.
Love a guy that is self-deprecating...

Reactions: jtothemfp
Looks like 7 in 1983 and 2005. And 1997 (looks like you typed 1987, but meant 1997) and 2001 also had 5. Check me on it, though...I'm getting older, you know!
Yes, 1997, sorry.
And I have 6 for both those years. In 1983 Sheets would later repeat, but that was his first. Cuestas, Anderson, Burley were one-timers.
In 2005, there were actually 8 repeat champions, but it was the first championship for 2 of those 8 (Hendricks and Dubuque). Esposito and Lee didn't repeat.

Yes, 1997, sorry.
And I have 6 for both those years. In 1983 Sheets would later repeat, but that was his first. Cuestas, Anderson, Burley were one-timers.
In 2005, there were actually 8 repeat champions, but it was the first championship for 2 of those 8 (Hendricks and Dubuque). Esposito and Lee didn't repeat.

Compare...
Davis
Zalesky
Carr
Schultz
E. Banach
Burley (also won in 1979)
L. Banach

Rosholt
Jones
Lee (also won in 2003)
Ware
Bertin
Pendleton
Mocco

Compare...
Davis
Zalesky
Carr
Schultz
E. Banach
Burley (also won in 1979)
L. Banach

Rosholt
Jones
Lee (also won in 2003)
Ware
Bertin
Pendleton
Mocco
Should've known I'd be wronged. Yeah, Burley and Lee escaped me, probably b/c my spreadsheet has them listed as 1/1 in both entries. Thanks.

Tough stat to find, but am wondering who was the last national champion to certify at two weights, wrestle at one, but win a title at the other weight? Thx in advance.

Penn State is going to repeat as Champions. :)

Nothing else matters!

Tough stat to find, but am wondering who was the last national champion to certify at two weights, wrestle at one, but win a title at the other weight? Thx in advance.

Don't understand this question. Are you saying they recertified at a higher weight during the season because of a weigh-in? If this is what you are asking, I'm sure there are a more than a few that fit this profile as not everybody wrestles down at their preseason certified lowest weight class.

I'm not smart enough about the certification process, but that part of the question doesn't make sense to me. Who certifies at 2 weights? You cert at your min and wrestle up from there. No need to recert higher, and can't go lower than min. Maybe it was different decades ago, before the over-cutting deaths caused rules changes.

Regarding the 2nd part: would need to establish some # matches threshold. Cox went heavy last year, but I think far fewer times than the question you're asking.

Guess without researching: did Chris Perry win 174 the year he dropped from 184?

I do like the question.

I'm not smart enough about the certification process, but that part of the question doesn't make sense to me. Who certifies at 2 weights? You cert at your min and wrestle up from there. No need to recert higher, and can't go lower than min. Maybe it was different decades ago, before the over-cutting deaths caused rules changes.

Regarding the 2nd part: would need to establish some # matches threshold. Cox went heavy last year, but I think far fewer times than the question you're asking.

Guess without researching: did Chris Perry win 174 the year he dropped from 184?

I do like the question.

I thought Perry wrestled 84 during his shirt, then was the 3rd seed at 74 and lost in the semis(not to ER) his RsFr year?

I thought Perry wrestled 84 during his shirt, then was the 3rd seed at 74 and lost in the semis(not to ER) his RsFr year?
I looked it up. 2012 -- his RSSO year, started 184, dropped to 174 in January. #2 seed at nationals, lost to Amuchastegui in the semis, took 3rd. He wrestled 184 the entire 2011 season, went 2-2 at nationals.

I looked it up. 2012 -- his RSSO year, started 184, dropped to 174 in January. #2 seed at nationals, lost to Amuchastegui in the semis, took 3rd. He wrestled 184 the entire 2011 season, went 2-2 at nationals.

And now he is 74kg. Wow

Wow, tough crowd, lol!! Keep looking guys, may have missed others...I did it in 15 minutes after all ;). Oh, and I am advancing in age...start a new decade on Sunday!!

Happy birthday Roar. Using my sister's math you would now be 20 so no more beer for you. :(

Reactions: RoarLions1
Not sure of the exact answer you are looking for, but I know in 1959 Lehigh's Philipsburg native Ed Hamer wrestled a heavier weight (177?) while winning his EIWA title and the next weight down (167?) winning his NCAA title. Yes same year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT