ADVERTISEMENT

Poster PSU2UNC, re: UK board

JWB389

May 16, 2017
I've given up reading that UK board. Some decent people, but a few seem pretty small time. You quoted stats and they call you arrogant. Then they pull out the Southern speed myth. That's some funny stuff. I have not read one objective source that favors UK in this game and they are just utterly insulted by every stat, each of which seems to favor us, but...you know....they're in the SEC.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
I still don't understand the need some people have to figure out what opposing fans say about PSU.....and then come back to a PSU board, post about it, and act shocked that an opposing fan base would be homers and say mean things.
Maybe they like seeing people post about their posts?

I still don't understand the need some people have to figure out what opposing fans say about PSU.....and then come back to a PSU board, post about it, and act shocked that an opposing fan base would be homers and say mean things.

There is a tendency among our fan base to want to be loved for how wonderful we are. "Success With Honor" has been our mantra for 50 years. We believed it and we expected everyone else to believe it too. Unfortunately, most outsiders never did. Then came the Sandusky scandal, and its abysmal handling by our BOT, which validated the worst suspicions of those outsiders. Now, many take gratuitous shots at all things Penn State and use Sandusky as justification. I think it's time to stop preaching "Success With Honor", shut our collective Pie Hole, and just go about the business of winning athletic events with actual student athletes. We don't have to toot our own horn. Just get it done and others may give us more credit, and respect, than we are getting now.

I've given up reading that UK board. Some decent people, but a few seem pretty small time. You quoted stats and they call you arrogant. Then they pull out the Southern speed myth. That's some funny stuff. I have not read one objective source that favors UK in this game and they are just utterly insulted by every stat, each of which seems to favor us, but...you know....they're in the SEC.
So they're part of the South now? They had other ideas back in 1861.....

There is a tendency among our fan base to want to be loved for how wonderful we are. "Success With Honor" has been our mantra for 50 years. We believed it and we expected everyone else to believe it too. Unfortunately, most outsiders never did. Then came the Sandusky scandal, and its abysmal handling by our BOT, which validated the worst suspicions of those outsiders. Now, many take gratuitous shots at all things Penn State and use Sandusky as justification. I think it's time to stop preaching "Success With Honor", shut our collective Pie Hole, and just go about the business of winning athletic events with actual student athletes. We don't have to toot our own horn. Just get it done and others may give us more credit, and respect, than we are getting now.

Or, just stop giving a shit about what other people think.....and stop using every chance you get to lament yesteryear.

I think the Kentucky board has been pretty fair to us.

From my years in Kentucky - their football fan base is good. I can appreciate the loyalty among some of them: it's not easy rooting for a football team that has had limited recent success. They do tend to fill out Commonwealth Stadium pretty well, in good years and in bad.

It will never happen, but I've always thought UK would be a decent target for B1G expansion.

Ah the ole southern speed that the SEC wants to spout continuously. I remember that same conversation with many LSU fans before the Citrus Bowl in 2010 and when Penn State won they immediately blamed the rain and grass field for the loss. Funny thing is both teams played on the same field. The Citrus Bowl now has artificial turf, so that excuse can’t be used anymore.

I live in Texas and the people that buy into the ‘southern speed arguments’ are predominantly from the SEC. Not so much in BIG 12 country, where they run some pretty amazing offenses too. I guess they just run faster in the southeast ?

Lastly, anyone need who believes Penn State lacks team speed is simply living under a rock. It wasn’t the case back in 2010 and certainly isn’t the case now. If anything, we are faster with CJF than we’ve been in the past, when we’ve played SEC schools and speed was never an issue back then either.

Reactions: BBrown

Good post and now I'm hungry for pie, specifically apple crumb crispy thingy.

I remember the last time we played in the Cap One Bowl and almost everyone was upset about playing such a low ranked LSU team. Don't overlook anyone, like, say MSU. I hope the team has their eyes on the prize.

I usually check out our opponent's blog sites to get something closer to journalism, but "aseaofblue" has way more hoops coverage than bowl coverage, so I checked out their rivals site.

Some of the things they were posting were just nutty, so I provided some statistics for context (e.g. Sanders and Snell are statistically very similar, our defense creates more havoc plays than theirs, etc) and they pretty much lost their minds.

I went in very respectful, but as their crazy came out, I became more honest (like someone posted above I think we win this game handily).

Reactions: TheGLOV

Though obviously a Penn State fan, I am pretty objective. This UK team reminds of the old Penn State teams or for a current comparison, Iowa. They are disciplined and sound defensively, tackle well, run hard on offense, can’t throw the ball worth a damn. I don’t see a definite win by any means. If McSorley gets healthy we should be fine, but UK will not roll over.
*Caveat being that UK will not challenge Penn State if either of their stars sit out.

Though obviously a Penn State fan, I am pretty objective. This UK team reminds of the old Penn State teams or for a current comparison, Iowa. They are disciplined and sound defensively, tackle well, run hard on offense, can’t throw the ball worth a damn. I don’t see a definite win by any means. If McSorley gets healthy we should be fine, but UK will not roll over.
*Caveat being that UK will not challenge Penn State if either of their stars sit out.
Schematically they might be similar to Iowa, but I think skill position wise they remind me more of Wisconsin (with a QB who can run). I don't think Snell is as good as Thomas, but I think UK is just as one dimensional (their passing game is poo). If they try to throw the ball with any consistency, I expect 2+ INT for our DBs. If they don't try to throw it, we stack the box like we did against UMD and stifle their run.

Schematically they might be similar to Iowa, but I think skill position wise they remind me more of Wisconsin (with a QB who can run). I don't think Snell is as good as Thomas, but I think UK is just as one dimensional (their passing game is poo). If they try to throw the ball with any consistency, I expect 2+ INT for our DBs. If they don't try to throw it, we stack the box like we did against UMD and stifle their run.

Yeah, Wisconsin is a fair comparison as well. I wouldn’t underestimate Snell. He’s a tough runner. We should be able to bottle him up pretty easily with their lack of passing, but he’s good.

Why do you feel the need to comment on it then - you could just ignore the thread but no you need to make sure you get your 2 cents in. Sorry but hypocrites drive me crazy and this country is full of them now.

That’s pretty well said.

I will never stop preaching "Success with Honor."
(for the record, that's not what I'm doing on the UK board).

I am sure you are not alone, but I doubt many people outside the Penn State community are buying it. A friend I know who also preaches it tells me he has been met with derision and even hostility, depending on the audience. In most cases, Sandusky is offered in rebuttal and those who do that have no desire to listen to opposing views. Because so many outsiders, when hearing the phrase, think of Sandusky, I personally think it's counter productive. To each his own, but I think it should be retired.

I am sure you are not alone, but I doubt many people outside the Penn State community are buying it. A friend I know who also preaches it tells me he has been met with derision and even hostility, depending on the audience. In most cases, Sandusky is offered in rebuttal and those who do that have no desire to listen to opposing views. Because so many outsiders, when hearing the phrase, think of Sandusky, I personally think it's counter productive. To each his own, but I think it should be retired.
You are entitled to your opinion.

And when I say I preach it, I don't I pretend PSU does things the right way and no one else does. It's a noble idea and one that everyone should adopt.

You are entitled to your opinion.

And when I say I preach it, I don't I pretend PSU does things the right way and no one else does. It's a noble idea and one that everyone should adopt.

We can certainly agree on that.

Ah the ole southern speed that the SEC wants to spout continuously. I remember that same conversation with many LSU fans before the Citrus Bowl in 2010 and when Penn State won they immediately blamed the rain and grass field for the loss. Funny thing is both teams played on the same field. The Citrus Bowl now has artificial turf, so that excuse can’t be used anymore.

I live in Texas and the people that buy into the ‘southern speed arguments’ are predominantly from the SEC. Not so much in BIG 12 country, where they run some pretty amazing offenses too. I guess they just run faster in the southeast ?

Lastly, anyone need who believes Penn State lacks team speed is simply living under a rock. It wasn’t the case back in 2010 and certainly isn’t the case now. If anything, we are faster with CJF than we’ve been in the past, when we’ve played SEC schools and speed was never an issue back then either.
There are fast kids in the south and not so fast kids, just like everywhere else. Even if there are more in the south, Kentucky’s football team is getting left with the ones who aren’t so fast. By the time the big time programs sweep through and take what they want, Kentucky is left with the ones those programs didn’t want...you know, the slower ones. I would bet a kid who’s in the top 25% of speed in the north is faster than those in the bottom 25% in the south.

They have a one word vocabulary down this way 3 letters long and it's not even a word and they can't even spell it.

No one gives a crap and you'll never change any outsider opinions. And I'll add, I've seen certain materials, or at least part of them. You're also wrong.

Again, I agree. It's perceived as arrogant to no one cares. PM me, I have somethign to run by you.

I've given up reading that UK board. Some decent people, but a few seem pretty small time.

When you visit our (UK’s) public football forum, you must keep in mind that, perhaps 20% if the participants are our not-so-well disguised Cardinal friends from Jefferson County (Louisville).

Or they feel the need to seek validation by proving they have a bigger internet dick than opposing fans.

By visiting your board, mine has now grown, substantially. I couldn’t help but notice more of your folks on our board, than ours, here. The ladies of Pennsylvania, shall be doubly blessed!

We don't have to toot our own horn. Just get it done and others may give us more credit, and respect, than we are getting now.

A wise admonition that could apply well beyond sports.

So they're part of the South now? They had other ideas back in 1861.....

My Great grand father was a slave owner who wore Blue, and marched with Sherman. Perhaps a majority of slave-owning families remained loyal. It has oft been told me that Kentucky “joined” the Confederacy in 1865, when many of the same “reconstruction” rules were applied to folks who had remained loyal, as were applied in the Deep South.

I think the Kentucky board has been pretty fair to us.

We all have arses with opinions. Our fine-feathered friends likely join in for shrill remarks to lower the conversations.

It will never happen, but I've always thought UK would be a decent target for B1G expansion.

That came close in the mid-sixties when Mississippi was burning. Ironically, the University that first integrated Southern Football, has borne the brunt of post-civil rights angst, due to the 1966 national basketball championship game. In the movie, they showed two large Rebel flags being waived. Had that occurred at a UK game, Kentucky fans would have grabbed them. Not necessarily from a Civil Rights perspective . . . but because that flag was Old Miss’s symbol, uniquely in the SEC. Interestingly, the Kentucky football coaches first played an African-American player, against Old Miss!

Lastly, anyone need who believes Penn State lacks team speed is simply living under a rock.

Yep. Too many 4 and 5 stars on that roster.

This UK team reminds of the old Penn State teams or for a current comparison, Iowa. They are disciplined and sound defensively, tackle well, run hard on offense, can’t throw the ball worth a damn.

There you have it. A Coach recently told me “we brought Big Ten Football to Kentucky.” And we (mostly) like it. Our passing woes have mostly been laid at the feet of a youthful QB and receivers, and playing style.

I would bet a kid who’s in the top 25% of speed in the north is faster than those in the bottom 25% in the south.

Yes. And the way you put that would easily square with those who discuss it in the South.

They have a one word vocabulary down this way 3 letters long and it's not even a word and they can't even spell it.

I would have thrown at least one comma into that run-on sentence.

But to each, their own!

Again, I agree. It's perceived as arrogant to no one cares. PM me, I have somethign to run by you.

As to the PM, I don't know how to do that, but even if I did, my wife indulges my posting here on the condition that I never make contact with any of the other posters, either in person or on line. I have mentioned this before, but her "no contact rule" goes back to a serious situation that an extended family member got into on another (non sports) message board. Fortunately that all worked out, but since it bothers her so much, I promised I would comply until such time as she changes her mind. So far she has not. Sorry.

Everyone should try to operate that way, I agree. but you don't need to remind everyone else about it.
Why not? Someone needs to lead and it's good to remind people to do what is right. This isn't a school thing. It's the right thing for everybody. And frankly, it should be a public motto, even more so after Sandusky. And I'd be happy if every program adopted it. No copyrights for a motto like this.

Reactions: pandaczar12

You forgot your patented, "Penn State is no longer the Penn State I knew and never will be again."

It doesn't matter what others think. If they believe that Success With Honor never existed, it is their prerogative to be wrong. I don't have to suppress what Penn State really was and still is because people are stupid.

Why not? Someone needs to lead and it's good to remind people to do what is right. This isn't a school thing. It's the right thing for everybody. And frankly, it should be a public motto, even more so after Sandusky. And I'd be happy if every program adopted it. No copyrights for a motto like this.

Other schools are free to use it if they legitimately live and breathe it. Many don't. Penn State always has.

Reactions: Howie'81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT