ADVERTISEMENT

Post Game Review

Richard the LIONhearted

May 29, 2001
I earned the name "Pussyhearted" and "Fainthearted" last week for my thoughts on the IA ability to exploit some Penn State weaknesses. I felt the game was going to be like this - a passion play. I feared the PS defense ability to contain the IA run game, but I was wrong -- the PS defensive line dominated much of the game. I think we learned a lot about the ability of the defensive line last night that Akron and GA State games did not. Kevin Givens played end last night and really caused problems.

IA showed how to defend PS's offense - soft zone, keep everything in front, contain McSorley in the pocket, tackle well, eliminate the big play, make PS go on sustained drives. Jack Ham called IA's defense scheme and play last night as "one of the most disciplined that he has ever seen in college" - tells you something. IA hit Barkley a lot when he didn't have the ball. All a part of their scheme.

So, what is Moorhead's response to IA's tactic? Last night there appeared to be few adjustments, both in game and at halftime. Essentially the response was to ride Barkley even more -- not a bad plan! But, for most of the game, PS appeared to be a one-man offense, albeit featuring the best player in the game today. Still, for as team with as many supposed supporting weapons, there were few offensive answers other than 26 for most of the night. That is a red flag for the rest of the season.

Other things:
*#28 shouldn't have to cover one-to-one in obvious passing situations. He was exploited
*Fields and Wade traded the Nickel spot all night series for series

*RT is a major problem. I hope Wright can go the rest of the way in 2017
*Do not like the short side pitch play to Barkley - was used a bunch of times last night with no impact
*PS does not appear to have quick strike threat at WR that can go the distance
*26 is like Herschel, only better.
*Two games to get better until the BYE and then the conference giants appear on the schedule; FG kicking has to be worked on

Execution was the issue not Iowa’s defense. RT was a problem and, if you watch some inside runs plays, Gesicki whiffs on a lot of necessary blocks. He usually takes the wrong guy and not the first guy he sees. Gesicki is great as a receiver but a liability when we keep him in to block

Reactions: Obliviax
I thought that several of our blitz and d-configurations were either too aggressive or the guys got caught up out of position. You X and O opinionists will need to tell me if that was an Iowa wrinkle that crossed them up, or just heat of the moment mistakes and attempts to push the issue defensively. In any case a team should not be stout all night on everything but 3 plays. Another item to work on.

I don't see RT as a problem. If Wright can't go for an extended period of time, Mahon is also an excellent RT, and has played there extensively. We have some interior depth. Injuries are never ideal, but we can overcome this one.

IA showed how to defend PS's offense - soft zone, keep everything in front, contain McSorley in the pocket, tackle well, eliminate the big play, make PS go on sustained drives. Jack Ham called IA's defense scheme and play last night as "one of the most disciplined that he has ever seen in college" - tells you something. IA hit Barkley a lot when he didn't have the ball. All a part of their scheme.

So, what is Moorhead's response to IA's tactic? Last night there appeared to be few adjustments, both in game and at halftime. Essentially the response was to ride Barkley even more -- not a bad plan! But, for most of the game, PS appeared to be a one-man offense, albeit featuring the best player in the game today. Still, for as team with as many supposed supporting weapons, there were few offensive answers other than 26 for most of the night. That is a red flag for the rest of the season.

I've read this take more than once in last few hours but to be honest, and not to take anything away from Iowa - I think if you're going to give PSU nearly 600 yds of offense and 40 minutes of time of possession you're probably going to lose that game, badly, 99 times out of 100.

So, not sure Parker put a blueprint out there as much as maximized how own team's best chance (at home) and it just happened to pan out in a close game where his team played their balls off. Most teams that try this will not be so lucky.

Also, with a fraction of a second better pass protection (mostly at the expense of Nelson struggling to get going) on a couple of Trace throws, that game probably opens up to a comfortable PSU lead and we cruise in the 4th quarter. The beauty of sports is the games are played on the field and hats off to Iowa for playing with so much heart and emotion, but I'd take PSU's chances against that gameplan pretty much any day.

I earned the name "Pussyhearted" and "Fainthearted" last week for my thoughts on the IA ability to exploit some Penn State weaknesses. I felt the game was going to be like this - a passion play. I feared the PS defense ability to contain the IA run game, but I was wrong -- the PS defensive line dominated much of the game. I think we learned a lot about the ability of the defensive line last night that Akron and GA State games did not. Kevin Givens played end last night and really caused problems.

Other things:
*#28 shouldn't have to cover one-to-one in obvious passing situations. He was exploited

*Do not like the short side pitch play to Barkley - was used a bunch of times last night with no impact
*Two games to get better until the BYE and then the conference giants appear on the schedule; FG kicking has to be worked on

Blowhard....keep blowing...no one is listening.

I don't see RT as a problem. If Wright can't go for an extended period of time, Mahon is also an excellent RT, and has played there extensively. We have some interior depth. Injuries are never ideal, but we can overcome this one.

I think Wright - "Big Bacon" will be fine there - but, RT caused an INT and the "fumble"[Trace was clearly in throwing motion] AJ Epenesa really impacted that area.

I’m not going to call out individual players for a horrendous game, but I hope Wright gets better really fast.

I thought the problems on offense had more to do with Iowa’s defense blowing by the right side of our line. It wasn’t pretty at all—a lot of the plays ending in pressure or a sack had open receivers downfield.

Reactions: Cosmos

Other things:

PS appeared to be a one-man offense? With seven (I lost count) batted down balls who's to say how ineffectual our passing game was. It was a masterful game plan by Ferentz. The 'red flag' for the rest of the season is Red Zone or short field offense. And I hope JoMo gets the plays in on time.

Reactions: mulva49
I’m not going to call out individual players for a horrendous game, but I hope Wright gets better really fast.

I thought the problems on offense had more to do with Iowa’s defense blowing by the right side of our line. It wasn’t pretty at all—a lot of the plays ending in pressure or a sack had open receivers downfield.

I still maintain it is missed blocking assignment. There were times the DE rush was uncontested.

You got one part right! Iowa gave up 600 yards on D and had 3 "splash" plays on O. You lose 99/100 when that happens. Last night was ALMOST the exception. But, alas...

Exactly! If all you had was the highlight reels you would think Iowa was an offensive juggernaut.

I thought Pry was a little too aggressive when he didn't need to be. Case and point the 70 yard TD.
Totally agree. On that play, which I believe was 3rd down, I was hoping to see 4 rushing and 7 defending rather than bringing the house. You live by the blitz and you die by the blitz. IMO, there was no reason to blitz there, especially when the blitz was pretty consistently being picked up by Iowa most of the game.

Reactions: Grass
There were a lot of positives but there are things to look at for next week : RT / the right side of the line was responsible for a lot of our offensive problems. There were multiple instances of the Iowa LDE coming in unblocked. It wasn't always the same PSU player either missing a block or avoiding contact. I will have to rewatch some of the game to try to understand why this was happeneing.
We do need more receivers to step up. Polk had a rough night with two drops. Iowa was forcing us to throw a lot of underneath stuff and this seemed to catch us off guard. Naturally, SB provided some major help here but this defensive strategy is something we can expect to see from here on out.

It was a great game and I tip my hat to the Iowa defense for repeatedly keeping us of the end zone and blowing the game open. Overall I'd say last was the best the Penn State team has played all year, especially when you factor in the environment and level of competition (Iowa is a legit top 25-30 team. None of our other opponents are close to that). The defense played lights out save 3-4 costly blunders and a few ugly penalties. They made the Iowa offense look really bad, and this surprised the hell out of me given the way some of our earlier opponents ran the ball.

As for the offense, they racked up 579 total yards, averaged 5.8 YPC on the ground and only had three "3-and-outs" on something like 14 possessions. As you would expect, we struggled a bit at RT with Wright out (Nelson was getting worked over; he's doing the best he can but he's clearly not himself. Fries is just a redshirt freshman). The number of tipped passes was staggering but again, let's give Iowa some credit here. The receivers played great.

Field Goal unit gets an "D". The missed 41 yarder and blocked 31 yarder nearly cost us the game.

I earned the name "Pussyhearted" and "Fainthearted" last week for my thoughts on the IA ability to exploit some Penn State weaknesses.

I agree the game further exposed the weaknesses of the Penn State offense. There is a cost to not ever lining up under center -- one of which is you can't run QB sneak, which would have been helpful.

However I do think if this game were played at the Beav, PSU probably would have won handily. Kinnick is truly magical in the way it inspires Iowa. I expected this kind of game largely on the strength of playing in that crazy place at night.

Finally PSU would probably have taken control in the 4th Quarter had O'Neil's crew not decided to play for Iowa the entire second half. Most of their calls were legit, but the sheer volume of calls and the number of cheap fouls (and the total absence of fouls on the home team) made it clear this was the old time anti-PSU animus coming out. I hope Franklin takes it up with the conerence. O'Neil is bad news.

When you already have to beat a team as good as Iowa, AND the fans screaming for 3 hours at the top of their lungs, AND the officiating crew -- it is tough to win. PSU was incredibly fortunate to win.

I agree the game further exposed the weaknesses of the Penn State offense. There is a cost to not ever lining up under center -- one of which is you can't run QB sneak, which would have been helpful.

However I do think if this game were played at the Beav, PSU probably would have won handily. Kinnick is truly magical in the way it inspires Iowa. I expected this kind of game largely on the strength of playing in that crazy place at night.

Finally PSU would probably have taken control in the 4th Quarter had O'Neil's crew not decided to play for Iowa the entire second half. Most of their calls were legit, but the sheer volume of calls and the number of cheap fouls (and the total absence of fouls on the home team) made it clear this was the old time anti-PSU animus coming out. I hope Franklin takes it up with the conerence. O'Neil is bad news.

When you already have to beat a team as good as Iowa, AND the fans screaming for 3 hours at the top of their lungs, AND the officiating crew -- it is tough to win. PSU was incredibly fortunate to win.

There was one Akrum Wadley run where an OL nearly tackled Manny Bowen.

John O'Neill is a total piece of shit. I wouldn't help him out of a car accident.

Reasons this game was as close as it was...

1) Turnstile at RT. I have alot of sympathy for what Nelson has gone through, but he just can't handle any speed at all.

2) Crowd noise and a fast play clock. It seemed alot of times, the offense wasn't in sync because they were being rushed to get the play off in time. A bunch of times I even noticed the ref pausing McSorley with <20 sec left on the clock.

3) Batted balls. McSorley needs to pump fake more. The one time he did, it gave him a wide open lane to complete a 15 yard pass.

4) Refs in 2nd half. Enuf said.

5) Play calls. What was that running pitchout to Barkley? Also, what happened to the jump balls to WRs? Godwin is gone, but you still have Blacknall and Johnson.

All in all, I can't believe Iowa's defense was still standing in the 4th quarter. I was sure they'd be gassed by then and give up at least 2TDs.

Reactions: Pride
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT