ADVERTISEMENT

***PODCAST: Penn State STILL has not named a starting QB***

Not surprising considering the need for a quality backup and the transfer portal. If you read between the lines from what he said, the offense has elements that emphasize both player’s skills.

Not surprising considering the need for a quality backup and the transfer portal. If you read between the lines from what he said, the offense has elements that emphasize both player’s skills.
So we don't have a quarterback it appears.

Apparently we have three according to Franklin.
I guess he doesn't really have to name one ahead of time if he's worried about someone going to the portal. But I think they'll kind of figure it out when someone gets more playing time and someone gets none. When says it took Allar 13 or 14 practices to throw an interception I think we have our answer, so why be silly about it?

I personally have not bet on PSU or any other games, but with the rise of legalized gambling I think the more information available beforehand the better. They should take a cue from horse racing instead of the Kremlin.

They can't officially go into the portal until the end of the season, so that shouldn't be much of a factor here unless it's not Allar, which I doubt. I've never seen a true 2-QB system work out, so I hope they are just talking about some packages that take advantage of Pribula's running ability.

OK, if you're not gonna do it I will. Allar is going to start.

giphy.gif

They can't officially go into the portal until the end of the season, so that shouldn't be much of a factor here unless it's not Allar, which I doubt. I've never seen a true 2-QB system work out, so I hope they are just talking about some packages that take advantage of Pribula's running ability.
You can’t go into the portal till after the season, but you can sure save a year of eligibility if you so chose.

Reactions: bluehair666
I guess he doesn't really have to name one ahead of time if he's worried about someone going to the portal. But I think they'll kind of figure it out when someone gets more playing time and someone gets none. When says it took Allar 13 or 14 practices to throw an interception I think we have our answer, so why be silly about it?

I personally have not bet on PSU or any other games, but with the rise of legalized gambling I think the more information available beforehand the better. They should take a cue from horse racing instead of the Kremlin.
I’m sure the players already know who it is and that’s all that matters.

Reactions: marshall23
People have to stop saying this. It's always a factor to avoid losing a year of eligibility

I wouldn’t put it past Franklin to start Beau just to show everyone he is in charge. And surprise WVU with some option/QB runs.
If he really wanted to do that, he should start one of the walk on qb’s and run the triple option on the first series.

He already redshirted it doesn’t matter if he sits out or plays every game. He will have the same eligibility left.
Who are you claiming redshirted?
Allar played in 9 games last year which was his first year on campus

Who are you claiming redshirted?
Allar played in 9 games last year which was his first year on campus
I was referring to Beau Pribula. Like most I am assuming Allar is the starter. Honestly I think the sole reason he hasn't named a starter publicly is to keep the media circus away from Allar.

I was referring to Beau Pribula. Like most I am assuming Allar is the starter. Honestly I think the sole reason he hasn't named a starter publicly is to keep the media circus away from Allar.
Oh okay thats fair but the assumption in this scenario (at least IMO) is that some believe Beau should be starting (or Franklin prefers him) and Allar will play for 5 weeks or so then we go to Beau to keep Allar from leaving. I don't think the concern is keeping Beau for the year.

If he is stringing Pribula along, he's going to lose him
One of them is probably going to leave regardless after this year unless Allar looks like a first round pick in 2025.
No QB is going to be willing to sit for 3 years...at least very few.

Just my 2 cents but:

Could Franklin be staying mum to perhaps take some pressure and heat off Allar?

For example, he names Allar the starter 2nd week of August, the amount of press, questions, interview requests probably triples and Allar is forced to deal with more noise?

As a parallel, does anyone know how Franklin dealt with McSorely being named starter in his first year?

Just my 2 cents but:

Could Franklin be staying mum to perhaps take some pressure and heat off Allar?

For example, he names Allar the starter 2nd week of August, the amount of press, questions, interview requests probably triples and Allar is forced to deal with more noise?

As a parallel, does anyone know how Franklin dealt with McSorely being named starter in his first year?
JMO--but it worries me if he's worried about Allar dealing with pressure. That's part of being a QB.

It’s just Franklin bring Franklin. He loves being the mysterious one, being coy and not disclosing anything. It’s all a chess game and this is how he plays it.

Has nothing to do with either QB. Just his style.
I think (hope) that's the case. The whole "coddling" Allar theory is terrifying.
I wouldn't be shocked though if he's just trying to keep both QBs as happy as possible.

JMO--but it worries me if he's worried about Allar dealing with pressure. That's part of being a QB.
Yeah I agree with you but with the caveat- this is the most hype a PSU qb has received since probably Kerry Collins. Couple that with the fever pitch hype surrounding rest of team, that's a lot for a 19-20 year old first year starter.

I think (hope) that's the case. The whole "coddling" Allar theory is terrifying.
I wouldn't be shocked though if he's just trying to keep both QBs as happy as possible.
My absolute hope is both are playing fantastic and push each other. That, to me, would be the best possible reason. Allar will absolutely start. But as long as QB2 is nipping at his heals, I’m happy. Always just 1 hit away.

Honestly don't know what the issue is. Who needs to know who the starters at every position other than those on the team?

I don't think the portal is an issue. No one is going now anyway. Pribula came here knowing it would be unlikely that he supplants Allar as the starter. He red shirted last year, Allar played.
Allar starts this year and next and Beau takes the reins '25 and '26. Any playing time he gets in the interim....due to injury or inefficiency of Allar is cherry on the sundae. It will be his job if he can stay ahead of any recruits coming in. That has likely been the plan since CV left. It's true all three could not stay.....

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with you but with the caveat- this is the most hype a PSU qb has received since probably Kerry Collins. Couple that with the fever pitch hype surrounding rest of team, that's a lot for a 19-20 year old first year starter.
I would say Hack was more hyped and he started day 1. I agree about the expectations being higher for this team so the combination is possibly higher for Allar but I'd still say Hack.

Honestly don't know what the issue is. Who needs to know who the starters at every position other than those on the team?
Well, if you're a reporter covering the team for one I think it would be nice to know prior to the first snap who the starters are, especially if there are any surprises. I guess Saban did basically the same thing this year and Paul Finebaum called him a bully for his treatment of the media. That doesn't seem to me to be the case with Franklin, but since it's unusual I'm going to comment on it.

I don't really need to know anything about what's going on. But then again, i don't need to watch Penn State football or invest any time in it. I choose to do so for various reasons. It is customary for coaches to release depth charts prior to the first game. It has been customary for James Franklin to release one. I want to know why it hasn't happened here.

I believe whoever starts at QB on Saturday will be the best for the job. 😉
Part of me wonders if Smolik might not getting more consideration than people think.

Pribula was recruited by the OC Franklin fired and was a late bloomer at QB.

Allar effectively came with Yurcich, but Franklin's not really been that enamored with dropback QBs like Allar - look at his treatment of Hack.

Franklin personally went to Iowa a couple of times to recruit Smolik, who would probably be in the McSorley mold size-wise with a better arm.
Franklin has also commented on him a few times.

Because of the media hype Franklin is almost forced to play Allar, but I wonder if he's conflicted about it on some level.

Part of me wonders if Smolik might not getting more consideration than people think.

Pribula was recruited by the OC Franklin fired and was a late bloomer at QB.

Allar effectively came with Yurcich, but Franklin's not really been that enamored with dropback QBs like Allar - look at his treatment of Hack.

Franklin personally went to Iowa a couple of times to recruit Smolik, who would probably be in the McSorley mold size-wise with a better arm.
Franklin has also commented on him a few times.

Because of the media hype Franklin is almost forced to play Allar, but I wonder if he's conflicted about it on some level.
I agree with what you’re saying. It’s certainly possible that Coach Franklin may be trying to keep West Virginia guessing or trying to keep the quarterbacks as competitive as possible. By not revealing who the starting quarterback will be, he could be keeping the element of surprise on his side and keeping the competition between the quarterbacks at a high level. It will be interesting to see how things play out on Saturday. We shall see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT