ADVERTISEMENT

Planning on a cruise ..... any suggestions ....

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
but I don't want to be with the common folk. I am PSU after all :)

I found this article in the Times today, so I'm good to go !!!

" In an Age of Privilege Not Everyone is in the Same Boat"

MIAMI — Behind a locked door aboard Norwegian Cruise Line’s newest ship is a world most of the vessel’s 4,200 passengers will never see. And that is exactly the point.

In the Haven, as this ship within a ship is called, about 275 elite guests enjoy not only a concierge and 24-hour butler service, but also a private pool, sun deck and restaurant, creating an oasis free from the crowds elsewhere on the Norwegian Escape. With disparities in wealth greater than at any time since the Gilded Age, the gap is widening between the highly affluent — who find themselves behind the velvet ropes of today’s economy — and everyone else. It represents a degree of economic and social stratification unseen in America since the days of Teddy Roosevelt, J. P. Morgan and the rigidly separated classes on the Titanic a century ago. While choices for the rich are expanding, poorer Americans are benefiting less from product innovation, according to new research by Xavier Jaravel, a graduate student in economics at Harvard.

I live in Orlando, so not too far for the limo to drive me to Miami, I'm sure the cruise will send one for me.

Fly to Stubenville, OH, then cruise up the Ohio River to Pittsburgh and take in a Pens playoff game!!!

Reactions: YogiMan71
If I really wanted a cruise without 4,000 other passengers I'd take a cruise on one of the many small cruise ships which are afloat. For example, Princess Cruise Lines has the Pacific Princess which holds just shy of 600 passengers. It's a much more intimate atmosphere and I could roam the whole ship instead of hiding in one area simply to protect my privacy. Another advantage is smaller ships are able to get into some shallower ports where the megaships can't go. Most of the small ship cruises are a bit more expensive but the experience is much different than sailing on one of the modern mini-cities. Google "small ship cruise lines" and check them out.

Reactions: EPC FAN

MIAMI — Behind a locked door aboard Norwegian Cruise Line’s newest ship is a world most of the vessel’s 4,200 passengers will never see. And that is exactly the point.

In the Haven, as this ship within a ship is called, about 275 elite guests enjoy not only a concierge and 24-hour butler service, but also a private pool, sun deck and restaurant, creating an oasis free from the crowds elsewhere on the Norwegian Escape. With disparities in wealth greater than at any time since the Gilded Age, the gap is widening between the highly affluent — who find themselves behind the velvet ropes of today’s economy — and everyone else. It represents a degree of economic and social stratification unseen in America since the days of Teddy Roosevelt, J. P. Morgan and the rigidly separated classes on the Titanic a century ago. While choices for the rich are expanding, poorer Americans are benefiting less from product innovation, according to new research by Xavier Jaravel, a graduate student in economics at Harvard.

I live in Orlando, so not too far for the limo to drive me to Miami, I'm sure the cruise will send one for me.
I'm not a cruise person but friends are and they like Silversea and Seabourn (sp?). Based upon what they've told me I may take one of those lines down the road sometime.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Why not go Windstar where they have luxury yachts? The small ships have 148 guests and even use sails. Some of the prices aren't too bad, and some offer free air and hotel. Their largest ship has 310 guests. Go for the gusto!

Elite? Hardly! How wealthy are you if you get on a ship with others you don't know, even in a sequested area? How ghastly! Have they no vessels of their own?
sb10067155k-002-senior-man-wearing-tuxedo-portrait-gettyimages.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
Crystal is an excellent option. Limited number of guests crew to guest ratio is excellent. Above all they do not nickel and dime you with "extras".
Some cruises leave from Miami.

All major cruise lines have become "pedestrian Petri dishes". As a norovirus survivor (Celebrity cruises, cough..cough.....also my very last cruise after 5 or so), all I can say is....

How much are you willing to spend?

Assuming you're not Donald Trump or George Soros (mods: notice the politically-neutral insertion), here are my recommendations:

• Medium sized 4star: Crystal
  • Small sized 5 star: Silverseas and Seabourne
Aside from the above,

1) The fewer passengers the better.

2) You might be better chartering a sailboat and exploring the Virgin Islands.

Last edited:
Our first cruise was about 5 years ago on Regent Seven Seas. Mediterranean cruise around 600 passengers so pretty small boat though it didn't seem like it. Had a wonderful time. About 40% US 40% Aussie, 10% Brits and 10% other. Really first class and the company was first rate all the way. The trips are inclusive so if you don't drink might not be worth it. For us on the other hand......:)

Reactions: Sharkies
Agree on the BVIs charter. Wife, teen son, and I took a Marinemax 38' motor catamaran around the British Virgin Islands for 9 days last July. Roughly $6000 without a captain. Went where we wanted, when we wanted. Total privacy - your own boat! Grilling steaks on the upper deck, snorkeling, fishing, falling asleep under a palm tree after too many Painkillers, exploring the Baths at Virgin Gorda, sleeping out under Caribbean stars. Save the big cruise ships for when I'm 90 and can't do it alone.

Agree on Seabourne Cruise lines - small luxury ships. Cavier and Champagne room service if you want it. You get a personal butler. It's expensive but worth it

Silver Seas and Windstar are both worth looking into also.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Just being honest, been on three cruises including high end and to me they all basically sucked. They are floating buffet tables for fat people, Breakfast Buffet, Lunch Buffet, Ala Carte Dinner, Midnight Buffet, Dessert Buffet. If you want to gain 15 pounds, go on a Cruise. If you want to go bowling on a Boat, go on a Cruise, if you want to be mostly confined to a Boat, go on a Cruise.
To me they all suck, will never go on one again, plus diseases are rampant.

Agree on the BVIs charter. Wife, teen son, and I took a Marinemax 38' motor catamaran around the British Virgin Islands for 9 days last July. Roughly $6000 without a captain. Went where we wanted, when we wanted. Total privacy - your own boat! Grilling steaks on the upper deck, snorkeling, fishing, falling asleep under a palm tree after too many Painkillers, exploring the Baths at Virgin Gorda, sleeping out under Caribbean stars. Save the big cruise ships for when I'm 90 and can't do it alone.
That sounds great but a bit pricey. Maybe, we will look into it sometime. My wife and i tried a cruise a couple times, but have discovered we very much prefer the all inclusive hotels in the Carribean. We go somewhere every winter and it will never be a cruise again. We bounce around to different destinations, but the Riviera Maya in mexico is our favorite.

thank you for the reference I started reading shipping out by Wallace pretty funny
Shipping Out was renamed A Supposedly Fun Thing ... for the essay compilation book, but you probably know that now. Wallace has incredible observational skills. Glad you found it. All of his essays are excellent.

I think you're making a political statement vs. actually asking for advice. I read this article as I'm somewhat related to the industry.

This is a necessary step to lure the high paying customers. Not quite sure what is wrong with what they are doing to you?

Planes. Separated by classes. Lounges at airport, same.

Housing (in NYC for example) separated by classes. Many of the top building require interviews before you can buy and the two requirements seem to be money and religion (or race, never sure).

There are already several cruise lines catering to the wealthy. Oceania for example. The mainline companies want that incremental dollar so are providing private areas for people who want to pay more.

Very standard and very stupid article. The Titanic in it's day is AA flight 1. You never even see the first class get on since they shoot right in from the lounge and turn left instead of right. There's an equivalent NY / LON flight. Just haven;t done it as much.

LdN

I think you're making a political statement vs. actually asking for advice. I read this article as I'm somewhat related to the industry.

This is a necessary step to lure the high paying customers. Not quite sure what is wrong with what they are doing to you?

Planes. Separated by classes. Lounges at airport, same.

Housing (in NYC for example) separated by classes. Many of the top building require interviews before you can buy and the two requirements seem to be money and religion (or race, never sure).

There are already several cruise lines catering to the wealthy. Oceania for example. The mainline companies want that incremental dollar so are providing private areas for people who want to pay more.

Very standard and very stupid article. The Titanic in it's day is AA flight 1. You never even see the first class get on since they shoot right in from the lounge and turn left instead of right. There's an equivalent NY / LON flight. Just haven;t done it as much.

LdN

To "your" credit it was exactly that. Points out that very few actually read what is posted beyond the "title". I meant it to be more humorous than political. But it could be viewed politically. We are who we are :)

Reactions: step.eng69
Our first cruise was about 5 years ago on Regent Seven Seas. Mediterranean cruise around 600 passengers so pretty small boat though it didn't seem like it. Had a wonderful time. About 40% US 40% Aussie, 10% Brits and 10% other. Really first class and the company was first rate all the way. The trips are inclusive so if you don't drink might not be worth it. For us on the other hand......:)
Agree, Regent Seven Seas definitely one of the higher end Cruise Lines. Really nice. No Inner Cabins, and 3 five star restaurants, outside of the regular dining room on the ship. Great food, no buffets and trough bags with this line. I was on the Mariner, and Voyager, I think it was, for Alaskan Cruise and a Baltic Cruise. I would definitely go again, both were fantastic. I also took our sales staff on a cruise once as part of an annual promotional event. 100 of us as a group on a 5 day cruise ship out of Miami, we had a lot of fun.

To the op, just make sure you pick the right cruise line, lots to choose from, depending upon your budget and preferences, so you really enjoy and expectations are met. One easy tip, always get an outer cabin, preferably on a higher deck with private balcony, if within your means. Have fun!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT