ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt - Penn State basketball game in the works for next season

There are reports that University of Pittsburgh will face off with Pennsylvania State University.

According to Craig Meyer with our partners at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, a deal is in the works for the two rival basketball teams play each other next season.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/04/07/report-pitt-to-play-penn-state-in-basketball-next-season/

This would be great. With our stellar basketball recruiting class next year we might well beat the pitters in basketball. That would prove that we are better than the pitters in every single collegiate sport. football, wrestling, volleyball, baseball, basketball, every sport.

Reactions: Ski and step.eng69
This would be great. With our stellar basketball recruiting class next year we might well beat the pitters in basketball. That would prove that we are better than the pitters in every single collegiate sport. football, wrestling, volleyball, baseball, basketball, every sport.
Yes, but they still have us beat in National Championships :mad:

This would be great. With our stellar basketball recruiting class next year we might well beat the pitters in basketball. That would prove that we are better than the pitters in every single collegiate sport. football, wrestling, volleyball, baseball, basketball, every sport.[/QUOTE

Beating them in BB next year (doubtful) would prove nothing in regard to where the respective programs are. So, if Pitt would happen to beat us in the FB game next year, are you ready to say their FB program is better than ours?

I heard the location will be Prudential Center in Newark. I go there every year to watch my Seton Hall Pirates play. Would be awesome watching PSU pack the Rock and beat Spitt. BTW, they sell booze there!

...the two rival basketball teams..."

comment_X9qR6nLWgCWMpulWEDByWZRmvfY28fOm.gif

Reactions: dwiz
I heard the location will be Prudential Center in Newark. I go there every year to watch my Seton Hall Pirates play. Would be awesome watching PSU pack the Rock and beat Spitt. BTW, they sell booze there!

Any reason given for why they would play there? As part of a tournament?
If not, and if picking a neutral site is important, go to one of the many arenas in the state outside of the home courts. Even in Pbgh or Phila, a presumed home court advantage for one or the other, but 'neutral', would be preferable. Maybe Hershey? Allentown?

If not, and if picking a neutral site is important, go to one of the many arenas in the state outside of the home courts. Even in Pbgh or Phila, a presumed home court advantage for one or the other, but 'neutral', would be preferable. Maybe Hershey? Allentown?

Pitt fans won't travel to the game if it's anywhere outside a 1 hour radius of Pittsburgh.

No reason given why. Might be part of a doubleheader with Villanova vs ND. Someone posted the rumor on a rivals pay site without a link so take it FWIW.
The rumor was posted before this thread was started so it may have legs. Time will tell.

No reason given why. Might be part of a doubleheader with Villanova vs ND. Someone posted the rumor on a rivals pay site without a link so take it FWIW.
The rumor was posted before this thread was started so it may have legs. Time will tell.

MSG is also mentioned. That makes more sense than Newark. Can still do the doubleheader. With Nova-ND, would be a sell-out for certain.

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr

Every big program in the country tries to get as much exposure in and around NYC as possible.

Do you think the players want to play on the stage NYC can provide or Hershey? We're trying to become big time in basketball and this is what we need to do more of.

Why do you think the Big Ten Tournament will be at MSG in 2 years?

Every big program in the country tries to get as much exposure in and around NYC as possible.

Do you think the players want to play on the stage NYC can provide or Hershey? We're trying to become big time in basketball and this is what we need to do more of.

To be played when mid-major conferences are holding their tournaments. That Delany can do anything.

Not sure how you got the leap of logic that I think players would prefer Hershey to NYC. I didn't state that anywhere.
To clarify my point so you can put other words in my mouth later: A one game event in Newark is less a big deal than being part of a tournament or double-header there (as I asked/surmised). And as I indicated in a later post, certainly MSG trumps all even as a one game deal. The players no doubt love going to big arenas in major cities, first and foremost NYC. But players aside, a one-off in Newark is less appealing for alums and for marketing and even TV than a two-game event or tournament there or a one-game event at a PA neutral site. We are recruiting Phila hard - the Wells Fargo Center or the Palestra would be huge to our players and our recruiting. I agree that MSG in any set-up is tops.

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
To be played when mid-major conferences are holding their tournaments. That Delany can do anything.

Don't you think that's actually a benefit? The Big Ten Tournament will be THE event that week.

Not sure how you got the leap of logic that I think players would prefer Hershey to NYC. I didn't state that anywhere.
To clarify my point so you can put other words in my mouth later: A one game event in Newark is less a big deal than being part of a tournament or double-header there (as I asked/surmised). And as I indicated in a later post, certainly MSG trumps all even as a one game deal. The players no doubt love going to big arenas in major cities, first and foremost NYC. But players aside, a one-off in Newark is less appealing for alums and for marketing and even TV than a two-game event or tournament there or a one-game event at a PA neutral site. We are recruiting Phila hard - the Wells Fargo Center or the Palestra would be huge to our players and our recruiting. I agree that MSG in any set-up is tops.

I'm guessing it's part of a doubleheader.

We should be playing in Wells Fargo too. I wish we would schedule some Big Ten games there. Play Syracuse there.

Don't you think that's actually a benefit? The Big Ten Tournament will be THE event that week.

No, and neither do the commissioners of any other major conferences. I imagine Delany isn't particularly happy about it either.

I'm guessing it's part of a doubleheader.

We should be playing in Wells Fargo too. I wish we would schedule some Big Ten games there. Play Syracuse there.

Once we become a consistent factor in the B1G, I think we'll draw more consistently big crowds to the BJC. Maybe to become a factor as a result of recruiting success, we need to play a home game away from home now and then. I wish it was the other way around, but we need to play the hand the BJC deals us and get creative around that to establish a real hoops presence in the conference and beyond. I can see both sides of that neutral court argument.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT