ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt is It ... for an overall pathetic athletic department, that is

tumblr_lfxme07dcJ1qzlcrm.gif

I like the following link within that article...

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ch-to-Penn-State-rivalry/stories/201706280198

That article concedes the point that Pitt needs the game to ensure a sold out stadium for recruiting purposes yet offers no real reason why Penn State needs the game. Then at the end is says, "Penn State? It's your move".

As for the original topic, it's proof to Pitt fans of what we already know. Pitt is pitt-thetic. They've never won an NCAA championship in any sport. And no, the NCAA doesn't sponsor a championship at the FBS level.

Last edited:
Here's the relative rankings of the B1G schools:

7. Michigan
8. Penn State
9. Ohio State
21. Wisconsin
24. Minnesota
27. Nebraska
37. Michigan State
38. Illinois
41. Indiana
43. Maryland
44. Northwestern
47. Purdue
54. Iowa
64. Rutgers

And yet, they have more combined national championships than the top ten schools on the list, added together.

Reactions: john4psu
What a drain on that already struggling conference they must be. What exactly did they bring to the table? The Cranberry Twp. market if there's ever an ACC Channel?

Reactions: boddyebsen
According to the Lair, we compromised our morals in order to have success in women's basketball and gymnastics. Apparently all of our other national championships are lily pure, at least.

A good summary of what we already know. crapstain cindy reilly and his ilk will, of course, break out the crayons to try convince each other that it isn't true.

A good summary of what we already know. crapstain cindy reilly and his ilk will, of course, break out the crayons to try convince each other that it isn't true.

It's one thing to show you're an idiot fan of a school that your own fans already know. It's another thing to demonstrate and prove it to the entire internet.

It really is amazing the schools that Pitt is behind athletically. They don't even fit in with some of the MAC schools.

SPitters swear the article is pure propaganda written by a PSU grad.
The only sport they care about and anyone cares about is football and men's basketball.
SPitt ranks #1 in Football National Championships, speed racing on sidewalks and Athletic Integrity.

I'm actually surprised to see Maryland so low. Obviously they suck at football, but I thought they were pretty decent in other sports.

The only sport they care about and anyone cares about is football and men's basketball.
SPitt ranks #1 in Football National Championships, speed racing on sidewalks and Athletic Integrity.
Has anyone pointed out that the PPG article is based on the Yahoo Sports article which was written by Pat Forde, who is not a PSU grad.

Reactions: step.eng69

Don't forget that they are the #1 college football team in the western half of PA that plays in a pro-stadium.....I think I significantly qualified that :)

Reactions: step.eng69
I like the following link within that article...

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ch-to-Penn-State-rivalry/stories/201706280198

That article concedes the point that Pitt needs the game to ensure a sold out stadium for recruiting purposes yet offers no real reason why Penn State needs the game. Then at the end is says, "Penn State? It's your move".

As for the original topic, it's proof to Pitt fans of what we already know. Pitt is pitt-thetic. They've never won an NCAA championship in any sport. And no, the NCAA doesn't sponsor a championship at the FBS level.

What I took from the article....

1. Pitt's AD gets that they are NOT PSU and the only way to play PSU is to "fit inside PSU's scheduling philosophy"
2. Pitt admits publicly that PSU is their biggest draw for attendance/revenue purposes

My take.
-meh. don't care about playing a middling little sister on the left side of the state. NO real benefit to beating them. REAL downside if they occasionally upset. Lose Lose situation
-maybe I'd consider it if the schedule was 2 games in Happy Valley for every one at Pitt. If PSU made the trip 2 to1 back when Pitt was 'more' relevant, then times have reversed. Also, this probably fits better into PSU's "scheduling philosophy" that Lyke mentioned.

But mostly...meh

Last edited:
What I took from the article....

1. Pitt's AD gets that they are NOT PSU and they only way to play PSU is to "fit inside PSU's scheduling philospohy"
2. Pitt admits publicly that PSU is their biggest draw for attendance/revenue purposes

My take.
-meh. don't care about playing a middling little sister on the left side of the state. NO real benefit to beating them. REAL downside if they occasionally upset. Lose Lose situation
-maybe I'd consider it if the schedule was 2 games in Happy Valley for every one at Pitt. If PSU made the trip 2 to1 back when Pitt was 'more' relevant, than times have reversed. Also, this probably fits better into PSU's "scheduling philosophy" that Lyke mentioned.

But mostly...meh
A 2-1 would make sense if we still had 4 OOC games per year, but since we only 1 away game every two years, a 3-1 or a 4-1 would be more palatable. Rather schedule just about any other P5 team that wasting the away game on a mediocre Pitt team twice a decade. 1 visit to Heinz filed per decade would be OK if it means Pitt at the Beav instead of the stiffs from the MAC 3 or 4 times, but not if it's only 2.

#Nofootballcutlureatpitt #movelaong

The thread on Pantherlair discussing this article about Pitt being one of the worst athletic programs in the country has turned into a Sandusky/JoePa thread.

It's all they have.

And once again, that's when you know we've won. For them, mentioning Sandusky is the same as waving the white flag of unconditional surrender.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT