ADVERTISEMENT

Pine Valley .....

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
rated by most experts as the best course in the World. Has anyone played there? I do know one person that has. Why is it so good. I also know that Trump tried to buy it some years ago. He was rebuffed. So he bought Pine Hill (a pretty OK course but he has made it a decent resort - Trump National Golf Club)

Played there twice in November and it was really special. Very difficult course - tough greens complexes and undulating greens. Fair off the tee. It was in great shape and the course is very natural looking. Also great experience with caddies if you like walking the course.

No houses around the course so it is a pure golf experience. Great range to warm up but I did not get the chance to play the short course which I hear is pretty cool.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
On the last Saturday of September every year, Pine Valley opens up the course to outsiders in the afternoon so that you can walk it and watch the final matches of the Crump Cup, which is a very prestigious mid-Am tournament. Really cool experience if you ever get a chance to go to it. It's not very well advertised and is kinda an "under the radar" event as many don't know about it.

I played Trump Philly many times back when it was Pine Hill. It's a really good course, similar to Pine Valley, but not even in the same ball park in terms of quality. People that have played it since Trump took over say that it's been tweaked some and is even a little better than before, but there is only one Pine Valley.

This is a good recap of Pine Valley...

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/pine-valley-golf-club/

I have several very good golfer friends who have played there and rave about it.

when i was playing regular, I was a pretty decent mid-80's type who would hit a bad one and make up for it with a great counter and save the hole.

I asked an older pro friend who was familiar with my game and had played there often just how i would have fared at PV.

He was an 80 year old still shooting mid 70s at serious courses and he smiled a moment, laughed at the imagery, then said... [words forever etched in my memory]..

'you are far too inaccurate to play there. your 85 likely turns into a 150.. although you'd probably rip every club from your bag and beat the hell outta somebody along the way. i suggest you refuse any invitation or the devil's ahole might be where they find ur carcass.'

i steered clear. lol

Played twice over a weekend this past September. Very easy to understand why it is a perennial #1 in the world. Virtually every hole is a visually memorable experience. Exceedingly fair but a number of 180 -200ish yard carries off the tee to reach what are wide fairways. But hit it crooked and the doubles will pile up. The thing that makes it most unique are the green complexes - deep bunkers, undulating greens, false fronts, interesting chipping areas and the shot angle you have from the fairway to the green can be the difference between a clean, straightforward approach to an almost impossible shot to get anywhere near the pin. Having played quite a few of the top 20 courses in the world rankings, Pine Valley is a completely unique experience and very deserving of it's top ranking. As a bonus, Tom Fazio designed the practice area - best I've ever seen - and also a 9 hole short course where his assignment was to duplicate the par 3's on the main course and the second shots on 5 of the par 4 holes - he has been quoted as saying it may have been his hardest design job and you absolutely recognize very hole when you play the short course after playing the main course. And if you read about the history of the course, what is the most amazing fact is that it was designed by an amateur golfer - George Crump - and it was the first and only course he ever designed - and he died before the last 4 holes had been fully completed. Simply a sublime experience.

Would never turn down an invite to play Pine Valley. Played it once and found it fair if you hit a straight ball. Shot 89 on my first and only attempt and was a 14 at the time playing out of Secession. Stayed out of Devil's Asshole bunker but we all went down into it to see if we could get out. No comment. Important to listen to the caddy(certainly your first time, still remember him today). I'd tell you the holes are memorable but would need to jog my memory. I'm 70 now. If you love Snapper Soup you gotta have it. Again don't be afraid to go and share in the reverence for a great course.

Another great Pine Valley substitute is World Woods Pine Barren Course. For golf nerds, World Woods is a must-go destination.

9261.jpg

untitled-1-XL.jpg

Played twice over a weekend this past September. Very easy to understand why it is a perennial #1 in the world. Virtually every hole is a visually memorable experience. Exceedingly fair but a number of 180 -200ish yard carries off the tee to reach what are wide fairways. But hit it crooked and the doubles will pile up. The thing that makes it most unique are the green complexes - deep bunkers, undulating greens, false fronts, interesting chipping areas and the shot angle you have from the fairway to the green can be the difference between a clean, straightforward approach to an almost impossible shot to get anywhere near the pin. Having played quite a few of the top 20 courses in the world rankings, Pine Valley is a completely unique experience and very deserving of it's top ranking. As a bonus, Tom Fazio designed the practice area - best I've ever seen - and also a 9 hole short course where his assignment was to duplicate the par 3's on the main course and the second shots on 5 of the par 4 holes - he has been quoted as saying it may have been his hardest design job and you absolutely recognize very hole when you play the short course after playing the main course. And if you read about the history of the course, what is the most amazing fact is that it was designed by an amateur golfer - George Crump - and it was the first and only course he ever designed - and he died before the last 4 holes had been fully completed. Simply a sublime experience.

I've played several times and this is an excellent recap of the course and overall experience.

Staying in the cabins... Turtle soup...overall dining and wine selection just adds to the amazing experience.

As far as the course I would add that this is one of those unique courses where you will... Or can easily use every club in your bag.

Caddies are great... Teeing off on the first hole can be pressure packed depending on who is " watching"..,when you get to 18 take a look at where the back tee's are.... Now that's pressure!

Literally every hole is very different ... TRUST your caddy!

IF round moving along well and you have time.., drop your ball in the Devils Asshole just to see what it's like getting out of the hole... It's one thing getting it out... But getting the ball to stay on the green afterwards is a whole another experience in itself.

And good luck on 5...A par 3 if there is any wind...yikes....

I've played both Pine Valley and Augusta National which many feel of course are two of the top courses...for me... Pine Valley just gets the edge....albeit a narrow margin.

The par 3 course is also a lot of fun...

Try the Moscow Mule or Transfusion after a round...

Played there once. Beyond expectations, which is hard to do when you are always ranked #1 or #2 in the world. Every hole is unique. Very hard and challenging, yet fair and playable. The Pine trees that line a lot of the holes, actually help knock a wayward shot down from going too deep in the woods. Pine Valley is also it's own municipality and zip code. Men only club. I have also played Oakmont, Merion, and Fishers Island NY which are also ranked top ten or 12 in many polls. PV is by far the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT