Pierogies....saurkraut or potato?

Pierogies......Saurkraut or Potato?

• Saurkraut

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • Potato

Votes: 54 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To me, sauerkraut in a pierogi sounds nasty. Meat pierogis mmmmm.

9AXxK3a.jpg

Okay I have to do more research on pierogis. Potatoes with all of that stuff I've heard of but blueberry pierogis? Really?

Mrs Ts has more and more flavors all the time. Good stuff. Not home made but very good for the price. I like them with some hot sauce. Love the sour cream and chive. You can prepare them however you like. I'm not against making dough but mashing potatoes and all that other work is not for me unless I'm crowd pleasing. A little bird told me the most popular Mrs T flavor is still the traditional cheddar and out-sells all the others combined by a large margin.

Reactions: jjw165
My grandmother is Ukrainian. She would rarely make some blueberry ones. I didn't really care for them so I was always a little disappointed, but usually just a few out of a large batch.
I haven't heard of that either, but I picture it close to a minature pie.

Pierogies (Vareneky in Ukrainian) come in all flavors. For homemade ones, you can order on line from various Polish/Ukrainian deli web sites such as Veselka or Polana or Piast unless you're lucky enough to live near a Polish deli. They will ship them frozen and they are so much better than Mrs. Ts.

Last edited:
Pierogies (Vareneky in Ukrainian) come in all flavors. For homemade ones, you can order on line from various Polish/Ukrainian deli web sites such as Veselka or Polana or Piast unless you're lucky enough to live near a Polish deli. They will ship them frozen and they are so much better than Mrs. Ts.
Or you can be lucky enough to be Polish and marry someone who is also Polish. 🙂

Costco has a pretty good brand they’ve been selling. Kasia’s. They come in a pack of 3 with about 14 pierogis in each. Very good option compared to Mrs T’s.
Mrs Ts makes product for discount and club places who then fly it under their label. I don't know if Costco is one of them but I know of at least one such place they contract for. So you may or may not be buying the same thing under a different label. They do alter the production somewhat for contract stuff.

Mrs Ts makes product for discount and club places who then fly it under their label. I don't know if Costco is one of them but I know of at least one such place they contract for. So you may or may not be buying the same thing under a different label. They do alter the production somewhat for contract stuff.
Yea. These aren’t private label though. And you can tell. The dough is much lighter than Mrs T’s.

I do get a kick out of people who say that just because the same company manufactures the product, it has to be the same. In the vast majority of the cases, it’s not. Period. The name brand is not going to provide the same product to private label for less. They will alter the product in some way, shape, or form.

I found the link to the product.

Reactions: bison13
I see very little difference between Kasia's and Mrs T's but to each their own. Both are good and similar.

Either will do for me. I once worked with a pharmacist who would order ones for his lunch (potato of course) at a local restaurant and he ordered mustardto dip them in.

If someone has only had pierogies out of a box or bag, then they have never really experienced a pierogi. The commercial ones are quite bland compared to the ones Babka, Babcia and now I make.

My mother was one of those ladies and she made plenty at home also. FWIW she and they used Longhorn cheese mixed with mashed potatoes. Longhorn is very similar to cheddar but she always insisted on longhorn
Good call there. Now that you say it I remember my grandmother and mother using longhorn cheese as well. Don’t find it and stores much anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT