ADVERTISEMENT

Pics of 1st car -

Fac

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
aeb5d05e0336a9ce30db651d96d13b82.jpg

Same color. Dad/Mom bought it for me (I was privileged) because he didn't want to drive me to/from college.
5 speed. Bought it but really had no experience driving a manual transmission. I got it home by avoiding all hills with traffic lights from dealership. Not an easy thing to do in western Pa.
Bought in 1977 in Sharon- died in 1984 in New Orleans as It couldn't get in reverse anymore. Also, no air conditioning.
Front wheel drive and was a beast in the winter except when the snow would get to deep as it was low to the ground.
Used to do do-nuts in the snow in reverse in the HS parking lot. Of course, last 2 sentences were before moving to N.O.

ugslvap6ox7xbolgckja.jpg

5-speed manual transmission (a requirement for me was to have a manual transmission)
Colors and wheels match this one exactly.
There was a lot more wear on the paint than this.
Was really a pleasure (exciting) to drive considering it was only a 2.2L engine and had pretty low HP.

LdN

• Wow
Reactions: WestSideLion
2003 GTI. My gateway drug into the world of hatchbacks. I absolutely ruined that poor car.

5c3560ac84fef.jpg

1979 Mazda RX-7; lived in Japan at the time, so mirrors were down further on the hood, and steering wheel was on the right side. Also had a small backseat.

23aeac8c0e3c9d6da1e640861c708dd0.jpg

Reactions: PSUfiji
Can't post a pic but mine is the 66 Chevelle. I have in my avatar

Last edited:
a) learned how to drive stick on my dad’s navy blue ‘70 Beetle. (... retired to the woods behind our house after floorboards and front suspension rusted away )

b) Dad replaced it with a restored light blue ‘73 Super Beetle which I drove in HS...

c) my PSU sled was this gorgeous Oldsmobile Ninety Eight in stunning Gulden’s Brown Mustard metallic

1989 Honda Accord. Looked just like this...I bet it's still out there running somewhere....

srkyboy881.jpg

Used '70 hemi-orange Plymouth Duster, slant 6, 4 on the floor. The kid who had it before me put a Cherry Bomb muffler in it. It sounded loud and I had guys in street rods challenge me to race. Really funny. The pic below is not my Duster but it's close enough.
011.jpg

Red 1973 Pontiac Ventura 350 4 Barrel. Real sleeper car. Bench seat and automatic transmission unfortunately. Replaced the AM radio with an AM/FM cassette for those 3.5 hour drives to Penn State and back.
ro73inTX.JPG

Reactions: RU31trap and bytir
A 1959 Volkswagen Beetle. I don’t have a picture of it. It was light green in the front and light blue in the back with one primer gray fender. We called it the “Smash”. There was no gas gauge. There was switch on the floor and when the car started sputtering you moved the switch to the right and you had a gallon of gas to find a station. It was a standard issue. The engine blew a piston and I replaced the engine with a VW bus engine. The battery rusted through the floor. I went to the machine shop where my mother was the secretary and found a metal plate to put over the whole. No, I didn’t fasten it down. If I slammed on my brakes, the battery would slide forward, hit the metal brace that held up back seat and short out the engine.
When I was dating my now wife, we were stuck in a gully during a rain storm. The water rose on her side of the transmission hump. My side was dry.
When I bought a new 1973 Kazan Red $1999 Beetle. The dealer called it gray. I got the radio and an antenna that sunk into the car so that it couldn’t be snapped off. (I lived in Philadelphia.) for the trade-in.

Reactions: kevin310 and 81b&w
Old guy that doesn't know how to post pictures here. My 1st three cars (that I purchased): 1967 Buick GS400, 1968 Chevelle SS396 and 1969 Hurst Olds.

College cars were a collection of leftover salesmen cars and firewood hauling vehicles. The high was a great CJ8 that was a perfect WR Hickey keg hauler. This was the low. Same color scheme. My friends just called it "The Turd"...

Chevrolet_Citation_%287002709835%29.jpg

I could own a hundred cars, but none will ever be as good as the 1981 300D. The sea air got to it and the A/C just wasn't designed for FL. The engine? I left it at 274K miles. It's probably running a pump somewhere - or in another benz. I loved everything about this car - especially the way it would spew diesel fumes at each start up. 0-60 was measured w/ a calendar. I've owned 2 Jeep Scramblers, and this is my favorite car - in this color too.

If you ever come across a good one for a few grand. BUY IT! Especially if it's a wagon. Mileage means nothing.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
1984 Pontiac Grand Prix. Looked exactly like this. Not nearly as clean but same color, wheels.... everything. Not a day goes by that I don’t miss that car. Still the smoothest ride I’ve ever had.

For you York folks, it left me sitting at the light at east market and mt Zion rd on New Year’s Eve 2000. That was the straw that broke the camels back and caused me to sell it. Carburetor would get stuck and it would flood.

MAN I miss that car.

2112900001_large.jpg

Great stuff here. Some good rides and an even better pile of crap. It’s funny how much you loved those first turdmobiles we all had.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT