ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies ....

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
I thought they were doing a 76ers to get the number 1 pick? They are going to ruin that plan! I guess it is hard to tell young guys to NOT try their best. They appear to be just good enough to mess up their draft plans. Oh bother :)

How bad was Sandberg? No wonder the Cubs never hired him. This team has a whole different attitude since the change. Everyone is playing loose with no fear whatsoever and having fun. Even Howard is playing well again.

I've watched several of the games since the All-Star Break; what a remarkable turnaround. They're bunching hits, have fewer dead spots in the lineup, making good defensive plays, and getting really good pitching out of the bullpen. Don't look like a last place team.

**just a note to add that they're now .500 at home, where they seem more comfortable and confident, but the 12-2 after the All-Star break includes 4-1 on the road, a good sign of improvement.

Last edited:
They are not *that* good. But it is clear that the manager did have something to do with that. Perhaps they will *not* lose 100 games this season

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
This is amazing. Bunch of young guys just playing loose when Sandberg had them all tied in a knot. Mackanin is doing great. This is amazing actually. They aren't "this good" but they were never "that bad".

So fun to watch. Herrera's bomb tonight was a wtf moment. He smashed that thing like a bomber. I like him. Hernandez is always on base.

Reactions: EPC FAN
This is amazing. Bunch of young guys just playing loose when Sandberg had them all tied in a knot. Mackanin is doing great. This is amazing actually. They aren't "this good" but they were never "that bad".

So fun to watch. Herrera's bomb tonight was a wtf moment. He smashed that thing like a bomber. I like him. Hernandez is always on base.

So true, when Odubel hit that ball into the upper deck, my first thought was he'll be peeing in a cup tomorrow.

I thought they were doing a 76ers to get the number 1 pick? They are going to ruin that plan! I guess it is hard to tell young guys to NOT try their best. They appear to be just good enough to mess up their draft plans. Oh bother :)
Pat Burrell was a number one overall draft pick. He was a nice player, but hardly a big star. Baseball's draft should never be confused with the NFL Draft. Mike Piazza, for example, was a 62nd round pick by the Dodgers. All things being equal, he's a Hall of Famer.

Reactions: LionJim
Are Herrera, Franco,and Hernandez Phillies farm hands. I have not been following that close because of the horrible start but, I'm going jump back into baseball for the rest of the season!

Last edited:
Are Herrera, Franco,and Hernandez Phillies farm hands. I have not been following that close because of the horrible start bu,t I'm going jump back into baseball for the rest of the season!
Franco and Hernandez are home grown but Herrera was a Rule 5 pick from the Rangers. He's obviously worked out much better than Michael Martinez.

Pat Burrell was a number one overall draft pick. He was a nice player, but hardly a big star. Baseball's draft should never be confused with the NFL Draft. Mike Piazza, for example, was a 62nd round pick by the Dodgers. All things being equal, he's a Hall of Famer.

I understand what you are saying but I recently read an article that had statistics on how much better the #1 pick was over even the #2 pick. I, like you, thought in BB it did not matter. But, apparently that is wrong. I also read some years ago that 90-95% of players in AA never make the bigs. This is why it is becoming harder and harder to get teams to trade their AAA guys.

How bad was Sandberg? No wonder the Cubs never hired him. This team has a whole different attitude since the change. Everyone is playing loose with no fear whatsoever and having fun. Even Howard is playing well again.

How bad was Charlie? The Phillies missed the playoffs the last two years under Charlie. The real difference is Utley is not in the lineup.

Except Sandberg had a bunch of OLD guys. Utley is no longer playing. Put Utley back in the 3 hole and the new manager will stink too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT