ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies fans: Braves sign Ryan Howard to minor league deal

They were just talking about this during the game... very odd considering The Braves have Freddy Freeman who is also a left-handed batter. Not sure what they are thinking... maybe improve his contact percentage, bring him up as a situational hitter and hope he shines, then trade him to an AL team as a DH?

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Maybe the Braves can teach him to hit to left and beat the shift he saw most every at-bat. However, he has little speed left, so they would need a pinch runner anytime he got on base. The signing is a real puzzler.

Maybe the Braves can teach him to hit to left and beat the shift he saw most every at-bat. However, he has little speed left, so they would need a pinch runner anytime he got on base. The signing is a real puzzler.
I think he is pretty much spent - a shell of the hitter he once was. After the Achilles tear he was never the same.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
As a Braves fan, there's no downside to this, assuming he's on the cheap. If he starts tearing up at AAA Gwinett, they can trade him to an A.L. team for prospects. If he stinks, you cut him. The GM for the Braves is all about equity in this rebuild, and Howard is just another tradable bat. I would be shocked if he ever plays in Atlanta, but I've seen crazier things lately. Especially with the signings of Colon and Dickey.

I never understood why he went to a full pull hitter as in his first few years he hit a lot of balls to left and left center that went out--he had that much power.

Always thought it had something to do with the Home Run Derby, though.

Glad I got to see him play with the Phils one last time last season--and with a no doubt about it grand slam to boot. On Jim Thome Night....

The Atlanta Braves released veteran first baseman Ryan Howard from his minor league contract, the team said Monday.

Howard was hitting .182 with one home run and five RBIs in 11 games at Triple-A Gwinnett at the time of his release.

Last week, Philadelphia-based venture capital firm SeventySix Capital announced that it had hired Howard as a partner.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...s-terminate-ryan-howard-minor-league-contract

I know he had some financial difficulty with family. I wonder if that is a reason he was still trying? Age and injury means the end. BUT, in his prime he was something to see :)

I know he had some financial difficulty with family. I wonder if that is a reason he was still trying? Age and injury means the end. BUT, in his prime he was something to see :)
I'm still very, very glad that an unexpected business trip (hadn't had one in ca. 20 years) took me to Philly last year and I was able to go to Jim Thome Night at the Bank. Ryan got up with the bases loaded and did not disappoint--a no doubt off the bat grand slam (it may have been the last of his career).

I'm still very, very glad that an unexpected business trip (hadn't had one in ca. 20 years) took me to Philly last year and I was able to go to Jim Thome Night at the Bank. Ryan got up with the bases loaded and did not disappoint--a no doubt off the bat grand slam (it may have been the last of his career).
Never the same player after the injury. Maybe if he had been in better shape/condition the recovery would have been smoother and better.

Pre injury he was one of the best power hitters in baseball. He would carry the Phillies for a month at a time in his peak years.

Really bad injury. Post injury, he had no legs, no balance, etc. He is a big man. Achilles are not like knees and this was almost 10 years ago . ... the recovery was tough too ... Abscess required 2nd surgery. IMO he came back too soon. Big $$$ contract pressure?

Him trying to still be out there ... sense is he wanted to get to 400 HRs. Plus love of the game.

At his age and injury history there was not another big paycheck for him. So I do not think it was for the money.

Never the same player after the injury. Maybe if he had been in better shape/condition the recovery would have been smoother and better.

WRONG. His skills were declining BEFORE the injury. He went from 58 HRs down to the low 30s BEFORE the injury. Phillies fans spent the last 5 years making excuses. Howard does not hit til it is warm. Howard is saving himself for the playoffs. Howard does not have anyone behind him. Howard is hurt. Howard's family took money.

WRONG. His skills were declining BEFORE the injury. He went from 58 HRs down to the low 30s BEFORE the injury.

Howard was injured (ankle) most of that season (2011) when he blew out his Achilles on last play of play off game. Jayson Werth left December 2010. He was a big loss in the line up. Phils never replaced his bat.

Howards HRs dropped in 2010. Do not recall why. Anyone?? Looking at his stats, 2012 on is when his game really deteriorated.

Howard was injured (ankle) most of that season (2011) when he blew out his Achilles on last play of play off game. Jayson Werth left December 2010. He was a big loss in the line up. Phils never replaced his bat.

Howards HRs dropped in 2010. Do not recall why. Anyone?? Looking at his stats, 2012 on is when his game really deteriorated.
He sprained his ankle on August 1 an went on the DL with 23 homers. Didn't hit another one till August 31. Wasn't the same after that injury, probably came back to fast.

That was the year the Phillies were caught having a guy with binoculars in the outfield stealing the catcher's signals. The whole teams batting prowess decreased immediately.

As somebody above said, when he decided to become a dead-pull hitter, he started going downhill. He sprayed the ball all over the field his first few years in the majors.

As somebody above said, when he decided to become a dead-pull hitter, he started going downhill. He sprayed the ball all over the field his first few years in the majors.
He was so strong then it didn't matter which direction he hit it--it was going out. IMHO, it had to do with the Home Run Derby one year. His approach changed after that.

it had to do with the Home Run Derby one year. His approach changed after that.

Agree with that comment. He became a dead pull HR hitter after that all star game. Prior he hit for average and power.

He sprained his ankle on August 1 an went on the DL with 23 homers. Didn't hit another one till August 31. Wasn't the same after that injury, probably came back to fast.

In April 2010 he signed his big extension....

Post injury ... 2012 he was 32 YO. In hindsight, Writing was on the wall. Too old, wealthy to get back to where he once was.

In April 2010 he signed his big extension....

Post injury ... 2012 he was 32 YO. In hindsight, Writing was on the wall. Too old, wealthy to get back to where he once was.

He was done. He went from 58 HRs to 31 in 2010 and everyone was in denial. His last 5 years he never hit more than 25. An 8 year old with a crayon some graph paper could see the obvious.

He was done. He went from 58 HRs to 31 in 2010 and everyone was in denial. His last 5 years he never hit more than 25. An 8 year old with a crayon some graph paper could see the obvious.

You seem to be a very ANGRY person. You best seek some professional help. Such can become an obsession.

Financial difficulty? Are you shitting me? He was paid $25 mil per for five years. That's a half mil a week. If he's in financial trouble he'd have to be the biggest fool to ever round third.

Reactions: voltz99
Financial difficulty? Are you shitting me? He was paid $25 mil per for five years. That's a half mil a week. If he's in financial trouble he'd have to be the biggest fool to ever round third.

I do not recall exactly but I think his "family" was involved in some fraud with his money. I believe he trusted them to manage his money. I do realize the amount is quite substantial. Then again the baseball owners can well afford it :)

Yeah, he must be hurting financially for sure. His window washer is taking all his money. Anyone want to guess the number of windows in his house in FL? And wifey gets the windows cleaned every time they entertain down there.

Pre injury he was one of the best power hitters in baseball. He would carry the Phillies for a month at a time in his peak years.

Really bad injury. Post injury, he had no legs, no balance, etc. He is a big man. Achilles are not like knees and this was almost 10 years ago . ... the recovery was tough too ... Abscess required 2nd surgery. IMO he came back too soon. Big $$$ contract pressure?

Him trying to still be out there ... sense is he wanted to get to 400 HRs. Plus love of the game.

At his age and injury history there was not another big paycheck for him. So I do not think it was for the money.
His "decline", along with a whole bunch of players, all started when MLB got serious and started testing for PHD's and added serious ramifications. Coinky-dink? Maybe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT