ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Steele 1/2 hr interview on Penn State

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
Valuable in that he got to sit down with JF to go over the entire roster.

He expects PSU to go 11-1. He expects 41 ppg. He thinks line for Pitt game should be 17-21 pts. He's fairly confident that Nelson and Mahon will be starters at guard (remember convo w/JF). Has Juwan Johnson as 1st team preseason All Big 10. Thinks MSU will be lucky to get to 6 wins.

He expects PSU to go 11-1. He expects 41 ppg. He thinks line for Pitt game should be 17-21 pts. He's fairly confident that Nelson and Mahon will be starters at guard (remember convo w/JF). Has Juwan Johnson as 1st team preseason All Big 10. Thinks MSU will be lucky to get to 6 wins.

Speaking with - obviously - absolutely ZERO "inside information":

It would be a pleasant surprise, but I'd be shocked if Nelson is "full go" come September........ even more shocked if he is able to play effectively for a full season.

Having Mahon back would be a VERY big item...... IMO ....... and I would expect he should be good to go (again - no inside dope, of course)

Reactions: Bob78 and BBrown

Michigan State's near future in the B1G....(we're Cersei):

game-of-thrones-cersei-unella-wine-torture-1024x682.jpg

Excellent find, Judge. For those of us who consume our sports talk "on the go":
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/keystone-sports-network/id948749641?mt=2

Last edited:

He has some really good stuff but I don't agree with his starting Oline. I just don't see how Nelson is ready to start after only 10 months, on already bad knees.
Also agree about MSU. I said the other week that they may only win 1 game in the B1G, they have a very tough B1G schedule.

Reactions: THEEHMANN

Thought his comments about Ohio State getting blown-out, absurdly dominated and shutout 31-0 in the Bc$ fraud "Playoff" which is actually an "Invitational" were extremely interesting. As he pointed out, Ohio State clearly had no business even being in the Bull$hit College Football "Playoffs" which are actually an "Invitational" in the first place given that they couldn't even win their own Conference's Division, let alone its "Championship" (i.e., a complete non-player in their own conference's Championship Game) -- this FACT was very clearly proven by Ohio States performance in the Bull$hit Championship Series "Fraud Playoff" which is actually an "Invitational" and should have never been put in the "Invitational" by the corrupt Delany-Bc$-homer "Selection Committee" in the first place. The result of Delany's corrupt and biased bull$hit in favor of the "traditional b1g $hithole" team over PSU, the Conference's and East Division's ACTUAL "CHAMPION", will now harm all other b1g members, and all FBS, non-P5 Conference Champion contenders chances of getting selected into this bull$hit "Invitational" System! Thanks Jim, you fargging POS douche-bag...."I don't know why their booing me".....another sadly typical POS "lawyer" turned Conference Commissioner integrity-less, scumbag, self-interested, biased, empty-suit @ssclown!

Surprised to read Mahon and Nelson will start at OG since we are loaded at that position. Gonzalez played well last year and would like to see Bates back at OG. Then there is Menet who will definitely see the lineup this year, but he could play OT. Mahon plays better at OT than OG. So much talent for a change on the OL; just have to wait and see the decisions by Limegrower.

FWIW, Steele is an OSU fan. But he does a decent job of being objective IMO.

Yes, I understand Steele is an O$U homer if this post is being directed at me (which you can't tell because it is not showing who on earth you are attempting to address). In any event, the fact that Steele is a LONGTIME O$U / "traditional b1g $hithole" homer (I've been reeading Steele since he first started publishing) and still made those statements about how ridiculous it was for duhO$U to be lobbied and placed in the playoff effectively by corrupt Doofus Delany's "powerful standing" in the Bull$hit Championship Series Conferences Controlled "Fraud Playoffs" which are nothing of the kind and actually is a "Homer-Controlled" Invitational.....tells you precisely how disgraceful it was that UNDESERVING duh-O$U, who couldn't even win their own Conference Division, let alone their Conference's Championship, was "parachuted into" the playoffs by corrupt @sshole Delany and his "traditional b1g $hithole" media operatives like Kirk, "Full-Disclosure, I'm full of more $hit than a toilet", Herbstreit.....

What Steele does well is produce lots of math-based statistics and models.....and then applies them equally to all teams.....and then publishes the info - yes, he does a good job of this because it is by definition "unbiased" and "objective". People buy his product for this unbiased information and statistics....they don't buy his magazine for his biased opinions and editorializations. To his credit, Steele realizes this and therefore discloses and admits he is a duhO$U-homer in regards to his own personal bias outside of what the STATISTICS actually say. But again, this being the case only adds significance to him thinking it is an embarrassment and indictment of the Bull$hit College Football "Playoff", which is nothing of the sort and is actually an "Invitational", Committee and Selection Committee!

Last edited:
I know we don't like to give Penn Live clicks, but there's a pretty good summary of Steele's podcast on there.

Reactions: BBrown
Yes, I understand Steele is an O$U homer if this post is being directed at me (which you can't tell because it is not showing who on earth you are attempting to address). In any event, the fact that Steele is a LONGTIME O$U / "traditional b1g $hithole" homer (I've been reeading Steele since he first started publishing) and still made those statements about how ridiculous it was for duhO$U to be lobbied and placed in the playoff effectively by corrupt Doofus Delany's "powerful standing" in the Bull$hit Championship Series Conferences Controlled "Fraud Playoffs" which are nothing of the kind and actually is a "Homer-Controlled" Invitational.....tells you precisely how disgraceful it was that UNDESERVING duh-O$U, who couldn't even win their own Conference Division, let alone their Conference's Championship, was "parachuted into" the playoffs by corrupt @sshole Delany and his "traditional b1g $hithole" media operatives like Kirk, "Full-Disclosure, I'm full of more $hit than a toilet", Herbstreit.....

What Steele does well is produce lots of math-based statistics and models.....and then applies them equally to all teams.....and then publishes the info - yes, he does a good job of this because it is by definition "unbiased" and "objective". People buy his product for this unbiased information and statistics....they don't buy his magazine for his biased opinions and editorializations. To his credit, Steele realizes this and therefore discloses and admits he is a duhO$U-homer in regards to his own personal bias outside of what the STATISTICS actually say. But again, this being the case only adds significance to him thinking it is an embarrassment and indictment of the Bull$hit College Football "Playoff", which is nothing of the sort and is actually an "Invitational", Committee and Selection Committee!

You have issues, Pennsy Kraken. That is all.

Thought his comments about Ohio State getting blown-out, absurdly dominated and shutout 31-0 in the Bc$ fraud "Playoff" which is actually an "Invitational" were extremely interesting. As he pointed out, Ohio State clearly had no business even being in the Bull$hit College Football "Playoffs" which are actually an "Invitational" in the first place given that they couldn't even win their own Conference's Division, let alone its "Championship" (i.e., a complete non-player in their own conference's Championship Game) -- this FACT was very clearly proven by Ohio States performance in the Bull$hit Championship Series "Fraud Playoff" which is actually an "Invitational" and should have never been put in the "Invitational" by the corrupt Delany-Bc$-homer "Selection Committee" in the first place. The result of Delany's corrupt and biased bull$hit in favor of the "traditional b1g $hithole" team over PSU, the Conference's and East Division's ACTUAL "CHAMPION", will now harm all other b1g members, and all FBS, non-P5 Conference Champion contenders chances of getting selected into this bull$hit "Invitational" System! Thanks Jim, you fargging POS douche-bag...."I don't know why their booing me".....another sadly typical POS "lawyer" turned Conference Commissioner integrity-less, scumbag, self-interested, biased, empty-suit @ssclown!
So.....are you trying to tell us that you think the playoffs are actually an invitational?!

Aa

Hhhhmmm.....Bushwood?

Thoughts:
  • 11-1 is possible but optimistic given the schedule. If we lose to OSU we would have to run the table against some good teams, many on the road. My heart says 12-0 but my head says 10-2.
  • Steele seems very optimistic about our DL. I'm very optimistic about DT. Brown should be decent at one DE position. Buchholz could be a year away but a good backup. Heard some good things about Miller. We'll see. Simmons has the pedigree but I haven't heard much. I'm still surprised that Toney isn't at LB.
  • Very surprised to hear the prediction for Johnson. I know he had a good spring but we haven't seen much of him to this point. Is it realistic to think he's going to blow by Blacknall, Charles, and Thompkins on the depth chart? One thing I'd like to see is more of Charles & Johnson (in addition to Gesicki) in the red zone. PSU has struggled there and those 3 are big enough to catch the high passes over shorter defenders.
  • I wonder if we'll see Taylor at CB now that Reid is out. He was one of our highest rated recruits in 2015 but we haven't seen ore heard much from him so far.

Anyone who calls them a "playoff", or a "championship" doesn't know the meaning of either word :)

If it were a playoff of "Conference Champions" only, it would technically be a "Championship of Conference Champions", but that is Steele's point - it is a little absurd of Douche-bag Delany to claim that a team from his Conference who didn't even win their own Conference Division, let alone being a complete no-show to their Conference Championship, should be parachuted into a supposed "National Championship of the best Conference Champions" of that year, no?

Reactions: ram2020
If it were a playoff of "Conference Champions" only, it would technically be a "Championship of Conference Champions", but that is Steele's point - it is a little absurd of Douche-bag Delany to claim that a team from his Conference who didn't even win their own Conference Division, let alone being a complete no-show to their Conference Championship, should be parachuted into a supposed "National Championship of the best Conference Champions" of that year, no?

Man....I know you get a lot of guff from other posters, but you are okay in my book. You might be my favorite "op-ed" poster on the board. Keep it coming, I laugh every-time I read your stuff because it is spot on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT