ADVERTISEMENT

perhaps the greatest non-human sports achievement happened 50 years ago today

I thought it was when Lassie pulled Timmy out of the well.
I still think that event should be part of some kind of pro league. perhaps the league that Holly Sonders is putting together.

giphy.gif

Reactions: aworsnup and Fac
It's not the fastest horse that wins on race day, it's the horse with more class. A horse of a lower class can't look the higher class horse in the eye, and they just wilt. For some reason they just know.

An amazing trait that can be found in many people as well.

Reactions: roswelllion
Here's the issue with Secretariat. Every Triple Crown race I have watched since then I think of the times Secretariat posted in his Triple Crown races and realize, year after year, that no horse can better them. This, despite the advances in breeding, training, horse nutrition, etc. Belmont was one of those rare events that violated the laws of nature.

Here's the issue with Secretariat. Every Triple Crown race I have watched since then I think of the times Secretariat posted in his Triple Crown races and realize, year after year, that no horse can better them. This, despite the advances in breeding, training, horse nutrition, etc. Belmont was one of those rare events that violated the laws of nature.
bob beamon-ish.

Relative to the Belmont, specifically, is that the jockey let the horse go. First, even back then, you'd never do that in the Derby or Preakness because you'd want to conserve energy for a grueling three-race triple crown. Second, a jockey today would never risk that horse to win by that distance. today, if you had a five or seven-length lead, you'd back off and just win the race. That horse was worth tens of millions in breeding and a broken leg would have ended all of that.

It's not the fastest horse that wins on race day, it's the horse with more class. A horse of a lower class can't look the higher class horse in the eye, and they just wilt. For some reason they just know.

An amazing trait that can be found in many people as well.
Except Secretariat was the fastest horse. And still is the fastest horse. No horse has been faster in those races.

But I get your point. Lots of examples of what you suggest.

So how has his line of descendants performed? Have any of his offspring even come close to his success?

One would think a couple of horses would have gotten those genes and done very well. Selectively breeding to the best mares would even possibly resulted in a better horse.

So how has his line of descendants performed? Have any of his offspring even come close to his success?

One would think a couple of horses would have gotten those genes and done very well. Selectively breeding to the best mares would even possibly resulted in a better horse.
His breeding line succeeded for years… used to watch his offspring at many tracks - including Arlington - have their way with fields large and small.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

His top preforming offspring was Risen Star. He was a fast closing 3rd in the Derby and 1st in both the Preakness and Belmont. Risen Star's Belmont time was 2nd best at the time and 4th best today. However, overall he is not considered to be a great bloodline when compared to the greats such as Northern Dancer and Curlin.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT