ADVERTISEMENT

Pennsylvania College Running Backs - Most Talented

LemonEars

Mar 13, 2010
Which running backs played played their college ball in Pennsylvania and had the most overall talent? How would you rank the top 5?

My ranking is:

1. Saquon Barkley
2. Curt Warner
3. Curtis Enis
4. Tony Dorsett
5. Lydell Mitchell

I'm talking overall talent, not just stats. Also, consider all facets of the game - running, blocking, pass catching, etc. Dorsett would be ranked higher but he was essentially a scat back who didn't block or catch passes.

pains me to say this, but lesean mccoy should be on there.
McCoy was kind of like Dorsett - a scat back who didn't block or catch passes. I wouldn't put him on my top 5. I would even rank McCoy lower than Blair Thomas and Ki-Jana Carter.

I never had the pleasure of seeing him play but heard this quote and it holds a lot of weight in my book. Many people I know who saw him play, also agree. He should be at least strongly considered I would think.

At a 2009 post game news conference Joe Paterno said, "Lenny Moore was probably the best football player I've ever coached, all-around."

Last edited:
Dorsett would be ranked higher but he was essentially a scat back

Um, a scat back who is one of the top 10 leading rushers in NFL history. I know we're supposed to hate Pitt and all, but this statement is ridiculous.

And I can't speak to his college career, because it was before my time, but Dorsett was certainly an effective pass catcher in his time with the Cowboys.

McCoy was kind of like Dorsett - a scat back who didn't block or catch passes. I wouldn't put him on my top 5. I would even rank McCoy lower than Blair Thomas and Ki-Jana Carter.
I don't know about that. McCoy caught more passes in both seasons at Pitt than Barkley has caught in any season so far (although Barkley looks to surpass that this year). McCoy had 33 receptions for 244 yards and a touchdown as a freshman and 32 receptions for 305 yards as a sophomore. Barkley had 20 catches for 161 yards as a freshman and 28 catches for 402 yards and 5 touchdowns as a sophomore, and now has 7 catches for 99 yards and a touchdown as a junior. McCoy only played for two years so it's hard to directly compare him to Barkley, but their respective sophomore years were very similar statistically.

Um, a scat back who is one of the top 10 leading rushers in NFL history. I know we're supposed to hate Pitt and all, but this statement is ridiculous.

And I can't speak to his college career, because it was before my time, but Dorsett was certainly an effective pass catcher in his time with the Cowboys.
When Dorsett was at pitt he played in 47 games. He caught 42 passes -- an average of less than one per game. Recall the years that Dorsett played - 1973 to 1976. Pitt played as an independent and played a cupcake schedule. Dorsett was Johnny "Walker" Major's workhorse. He average 31 carries per game. In contrast Barkley has played in 27 games so far and has averaged over 2 pass receptions per game and has only averaged 18 carries per game against much harder competition than Dorsett faced. There is no comparison. Barkley is a more talented back than Dorsett.

Reactions: m48tank
There is no comparison. Barkley is a more talented back than Dorsett.

I look forward to Saquon's Heisman, National Championship, NFL Rookie of the Year award, Super Bowl title, top 10 all time NFL rushing status, and first ballot hall of fame career.

In addition to all of that, there was a 20+ year stretch where Tony Dorsett was the LEADING RUSHER IN THE HISTORY OF NCAA FOOTBALL.

Don't get me wrong, I think Saquon is tremendous. But to shortchange Tony Dorsett like this is showing tremendous irrational bias.

Last edited:
I look forward to Saquon's Heisman, National Championship, NFL Rookie of the Year award, Super Bowl title, top 10 all time NFL rushing status, and first ballot hall of fame career.

Don't get me wrong, I think Saquon is tremendous. But to shortchange Tony Dorsett like this is showing tremendous irrational bias.
The thread is about innate talent, not stats. Dorsett accumulated great stats at pitt because Majors ran him nearly every play against mostly cupcake opposition. In the pros it was mostly the same story. The Cowboys were a great team with a superb offensive line. How do you thing Dorsett would have done in the pros if he played for say the Jets??

I'm not discounting Dorsett. He was on my list ahead of Lydell Mitchell, Blair Thomas, Curtis Martin, Ki-Jana Carter and other greats. He was super fast and made many highlight film runs. He never blocked and was a mediocre receiver. Of course, he did set one record that will never be broken: the record for unpaid traffic tickets in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Dorsett accumulated great stats at pitt because Majors ran him nearly every play against mostly cupcake opposition. In the pros it was mostly the same story

If running Dorsett every play resulted in a National Championship, Dorsett must be the greatest player in the history of any sport. Your argument is not a good one, and I am less intelligent for having heard it.

For the team's sake, I hope Saquon is better than Dorsett. The National Championship should be a lay up.

Franco isn't even top ten. Lydell was the feature back and they were in the same class.
They were in the same class. Franco was the fullback because he was 25 pounds heavier. When they both went into the draft in 1972 the Steelers were looking for a running back and they picked Franco Harris over Mitchell who went in the second round. Franco went on to run for over 12,000 yards and the Hall of Fame. Mitchell was very talented but I'll trust the Steelers management and coaching staff. Hard to argue they made the wrong choice.

Reactions: m48tank
I never had the pleasure of seeing him play but heard this quote and it holds a lot of weight in my book. Many people I know who saw him play, also agree. He should be at least strongly considered I would think.

In his post game news conference Joe Paterno said, "Lenny Moore was probably the best football player I've ever coached, all-around."
Lenny Moore would get my vote.

Jim Thorpe? Dominick Bragalone? Aric Heffelfinger?

Bragalone.

19894988.gif

Reactions: Sharkies
I spent a couple days/nights in the town of Jim Thorpe last year... an interesting little town.
The gravesite/memorial to Thorpe is on the outskirts of town, really out of the way of everything else.
When I visited I was the only person there, and it was very dirty, covered in cobwebs and such.
I had a roll of paper towels in my car, so I cleaned everthing off as best I could.
How quickly they forget you.

Reactions: LionJim
Were any former Penn State running backs observed yelling during max browne's post-game interview on Saturday?

They were in the same class. Franco was the fullback because he was 25 pounds heavier. When they both went into the draft in 1972 the Steelers were looking for a running back and they picked Franco Harris over Mitchell who went in the second round. Franco went on to run for over 12,000 yards and the Hall of Fame. Mitchell was very talented but I'll trust the Steelers management and coaching staff. Hard to argue they made the wrong choice.
The OP wrote 'college running backs'. Franco isn't in the top ten of Pennsylvania college running backs. He may not even in the top ten of PSU RBs depending on individual opinions.

Lavar Arrington and Lamont Wade were damn good RB's from PA.....

The OP wrote 'college running backs'. Franco isn't in the top ten of Pennsylvania college running backs. He may not even in the top ten of PSU RBs depending on individual opinions.
He wrote Pennsylvania College Running Backs. I'm interpreting that as running backs who played their college careers for Pennsylvania schools so I'm looking at their whole body of work including what they did in pro football. I'm including everything they've done including my eye test from watching them play.

If you interpret Pennsylvania College Running Backs to only consider who they were and what they accomplished while playing at Pennsylvania institutions of higher education then you would disregard everything they did once they took off their college uniform and Franco Harris would not be top five.

He wrote Pennsylvania College Running Backs. I'm interpreting that as running backs who played their college careers for Pennsylvania schools so I'm looking at their whole body of work including what they did in pro football. I'm including everything they've done including my eye test from watching them play.

If you interpret Pennsylvania College Running Backs to only consider who they were and what they accomplished while playing at Pennsylvania institutions of higher education then you would disregard everything they did once they took off their college uniform and Franco Harris would not be top five.
College only.

Franco was always in hot water with Joe. When Franco was a senior he sometimes didn't start. Tom Donchez sometimes started instead. I remember being astounded that the Steelers took Franco in the first round.

Franco was always in hot water with Joe. When Franco was a senior he sometimes didn't start. Tom Donchez sometimes started instead. I remember being astounded that the Steelers took Franco in the first round.
Franco was a lazy practice player.

Most talented rb in pa college, hmmm. I would think good place to start might be where they went in the NFL draft. I think both Dorsett and KiJana were drafted 1st round, 2nd pick. Warner was 1st Round, 3rd. Puts them in a pretty tight race, all at the top. I'm not sure of where others were drafted. I'd be curious if anyone knows if any other Pa College RBs were drafted Top 10 in a 1st Round.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT