ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State Wrestling hopes to add new transfers as portal fires up

Both of these points are fair. A few thoughts:

(1) If we measure parity based on the team champion alone, then yes, NCAA DI wrestling has not even sniffed parity . . . maybe ever.

(2) If we measure parity based on the Top 10, I think we do see more turnover or cycling there in team finishes.

(3) Another measure of parity might be the # of teams per season with an individual champ. I don’t have time right now to analyze what those numbers look like over the past 10+ years, but it would be a valid measure.

(4) While the answer may ultimately be that — based on an averaging of the above 3 measures —parity and NCAA DI wrestling have never really been strong partners, it is reasonable to expect NIL & lax transfer rules to decrease parity even further, perhaps in all 3 messures.

Nagao might end up being the best “first example” of how traditional powers could utilize smaller programs (or any program in a down cycle) as farm teams to maintain a stanglehold on Top 1-5 team and/or individual champion finishes. This new era is really early in the going, and so we’ll just have to wait and see how it actually influences parity.

We might point to Woods and Truax as examples of the rich getting richer, but a move like Griffith to Rutger would temper that a tad. We’ll just need more data before declaring a trend.
Oh my, we've gotten to the point where Minnesota is a farm team?

Im not sure that a guy being ridden as a true freshman but not as a 5th year senior is evidence of Iowa development.
DeSanto beat RBY 12-8, fairly convincingly, and then stayed at the same level while RBY went on to string together several victories in a row against him. Same thing for Cass/Kerk.

DeSanto beat RBY 12-8, fairly convincingly, and then stayed at the same level while RBY went on to string together several victories in a row against him. Same thing for Cass/Kerk.
To better state Iowa and its coaching or lack there of, RBY beat DeSanto 6 or 7 times in a row in what was essentially a one move match. DeSanto never had an answer for RBY, never anything new. Iowa coaches dumbfounded at how to beat RBY. You would think at least once they could had added a wrinkle to get a takedown. Never happened.

Reactions: PASLP2
To better state Iowa and its coaching or lack there of, RBY beat DeSanto 6 or 7 times in a row in what was essentially a one move match. DeSanto never had an answer for RBY, never anything new. Iowa coaches dumbfounded at how to beat RBY. You would think at least once they could had added a wrinkle to get a takedown. Never happened.
Saying RBY beat DeSanto with one arm tied behind his back is actually true.:)

They held a shoe up in the air to illustrate it to the referee. That was something.

Good stuff.

Here's a story on ISU's somewhat unorthodox strength training program..I'm still trying to figure out how anybody does a one handed pullup with 3 45's hanging off them... I'm pretty sure that even if Carr gains a couple more pounds, he's alreaddy pretty strong. KOT clearly licked his wounds from his two losses and got ready.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT