ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State's Terrell Barraclough Enters Transfer Portal

If I was BearClaw I would go to Iowa.
For wrestling, this would only make sense if a) you guys have given up the ghost of either PK or Caliendo cutting to 157 and b) Barraclough can make the cut to 157 without too much struggle. If 157 is a tough cut, he's going to have plenty of offers to wrestle 165 without it. Bringing him into Iowa at 165 to give Iowa 4 potential AA level guys who can only wrestle 165 or 174 would be pretty stupid. The logjam is already probably going to cost you PK. Are you trying to lose Caliendo, too?

The bigger issue is that it seems like academics are going to drive a lot of TB's final decision, not just wrestling. How is Iowa's biomedical engineering masters program?

Reactions: Ski
If I was BearClaw I would go to Iowa.
Good idea, but only if he brings a 5 inch binder! The 3 inch binder didn't work so well!! 😆🤣

He might also need to read it to Tom and Terry because they certainly didn't get much out of the last one. Is it possible athey didn't understand some of the bigger words??? 🤔

Reactions: danoftw
The GIA assumption is Gable is their best 174 pounder. I believe the reason Kennedy wrestled 174 this season is because he was the best 174 pounder in the room.

The odds are better that the NCAA grants Spencer an exemption to try again for his 4th title than Gable ever wins a title for Iowa.

With Nelson Brands possibly being granted an extra year, the arrival of Ferrari and the already there Caliendo and Kennedy I doubt Arnold makes the starting lineup this year.

Who knows though. If Carter decides to stay and wrestle 197, maybe Arnold could bump up to 197 to give Carter that promised lesson in humility.
No assumption. Gabe is the better wrestler and he was the better guy in the room.

Brands just doesn't burn redshirts very often. Only if he really feels you can win the title. Gabe was headed that direction (ish) - but got hurt, his mom got sick and he was off the mat for a while during big ten dual season.

The bigger issue is that it seems like academics are going to drive a lot of TB's final decision, not just wrestling. How is Iowa's biomedical engineering masters program?
You lost Iowa at the word "academics".

Of the top 10 graduate programs worldwide for his interest, the only one with wrestling is (believe it or not) Pitt.

Can you “read” my envy? My wild grizzly count is now 14, all in the lower 48. Haven’t seen their larger cousins (the big Browns) yet, but I want to someday, tied to an Alaska hiking trip. Did you floatplane in to the area? I’ve researched doing that when my son and I get to go up.
Damn, that’s some great intel on the road flare. I believe I’ll add that to our bear spray arsenal on our next hike in bear country.
Settle down, grumblers. We’ve gone off thread topic before, and grizzlies are ALWAYS worth a minute or two diversion, including this mom and cubs from northern Yellowstone last week. This was right after she nursed them, a shot I won't show to protect the lady's privacy. ;)

JgUdkog.jpg
It was awesome. Went with Emerald Air Service out of Homer. Did the full day tour to Katmai. Landed by floatplane in a small lake and hiked about 1/2 mile to where the bears were hanging out. On a small creek bank overlooking the braided creek area we generally hiked/circumnavigated you could spot 6-8 bears at a time. Day consisted of morning prep and briefing, about an hour flight or so to the park, about 5 hours on the ground after the short hike in, then back out. It was amazing. As we were descending to the lake you could see bears everywhere (not part of my official count)

It was awesome. Went with Emerald Air Service out of Homer. Did the full day tour to Katmai. Landed by floatplane in a small lake and hiked about 1/2 mile to where the bears were hanging out. On a small creek bank overlooking the braided creek area we generally hiked/circumnavigated you could spot 6-8 bears at a time. Day consisted of morning prep and briefing, about an hour flight or so to the park, about 5 hours on the ground after the short hike in, then back out. It was amazing. As we were descending to the lake you could see bears everywhere (not part of my official count)

Emerald was one of the ones I researched a few years back. Sounds like you recommend them highly, so I’ll focus on their service when we do it (2025?). Our hike would be in the Seward area, and I know Homer is down south there, too, so that’ll work. Thanks again for the road flare tip and the air service scoop. Pretty sure we’ll be using both. Hell, I think the floatplane ride alone will be a thrill.
Last two questions, promise: When did you go and was it crazy with mosquitoes? Had a friend visit Alaska once and he whined like a Nebraska coach . . . only about bugs.

Emerald was one of the ones I researched a few years back. Sounds like you recommend them highly, so I’ll focus on their service when we do it (2025?). Our hike would be in the Seward area, and I know Homer is down south there, too, so that’ll work. Thanks again for the road flare tip and the air service scoop. Pretty sure we’ll be using both. Hell, I think the floatplane ride alone will be a thrill.
Last two questions, promise: When did you go and was it crazy with mosquitoes? Had a friend visit Alaska once and he whined like a Nebraska coach . . . only about bugs.
I went in late August and the bugs weren’t bad at all - I really don’t think I noticed them. I spent 8 days in the Kenai Peninsula - staying in Seward the first half and Homer the 2nd. Easy and beautiful drive between the 2 - about 3 hours.

I did the Harding Icefield Hike near Seward in Kenai Fjords. Really cool but a bitch - 3200 vertical in about 4.2 miles up, then, of course, all downhill down. I had really bad karma on that hike - dodged rockfall that was way too close for comfort while traversing a rock field and then completely bonked with about 2 miles to go. It was perfect hiking weather (about 50 F and cloudy) and I just didn’t stop to drink/eat enough. That was not cool - buried me physically for about 3 days.

Definitely try and do a cruise to the Northwestern Glacier. It’s 8 hours but doesn’t feel like a slog. Sea life all over - we had dolphins surfing the bow constantly, Orcas getting really close , whales and tons of seals and otters.

Reactions: HikeNatParks
It's May, less than 3 months before Bearclaw starts grad school. He has already applied to every school he will, and has been accepted or rejected by all of them by now.

Not that he needed our input anyway, but "he ought to go to School X" is way late.

Black Shoe Diaries (before the re-format) has a designated sarcasm font, just had to @bookend the text with@

When in doubt, shouldn't be too hard to alter some snippet of text here with a different font or the like.

Also can use /s or sarc to signify sarcasm.

Bittersweet news on Terrell, but mostly sweet. He deserves a D1 starting gig that leads to a shot at AA. Perhaps an omen for the news on “bearclaw”, I saw 4 more incredible grizzlies on a recent western trip. Thought I’d post one from Glacier NP in honor of our wicked smart team player walking off to a new challenge with all the strength and determination of, well, you know. Godspeed, young man.

Jg8U4Ev.jpg

Telephoto lens or you are really sure you are upwind?

I went in late August and the bugs weren’t bad at all - I really don’t think I noticed them. I spent 8 days in the Kenai Peninsula - staying in Seward the first half and Homer the 2nd. Easy and beautiful drive between the 2 - about 3 hours.

I did the Harding Icefield Hike near Seward in Kenai Fjords. Really cool but a bitch - 3200 vertical in about 4.2 miles up, then, of course, all downhill down. I had really bad karma on that hike - dodged rockfall that was way too close for comfort while traversing a rock field and then completely bonked with about 2 miles to go. It was perfect hiking weather (about 50 F and cloudy) and I just didn’t stop to drink/eat enough. That was not cool - buried me physically for about 3 days.

Definitely try and do a cruise to the Northwestern Glacier. It’s 8 hours but doesn’t feel like a slog. Sea life all over - we had dolphins surfing the bow constantly, Orcas getting really close , whales and tons of seals and otters.
Too damn cool . . other than rockfall (yikes). Harding Icefield was the challenging hike we were planning, plus some lesser ones, maybe Russian River. We’ll be sticking to Kenai, too, and while the cruise sounds great, our trip will be shorter and we’ll stay landlocked.
Anything planned for fall? We’re either trying Hidden Lake in North Cascades NP or some trails in the Canadian Rockies. Don’t know your age, but at 65 and having lost all knee cartilage years ago, we’ve shortened hikes to a maximum of 12 miles roundtrip. Less is fine with me. ;)

Telephoto lens or you are really sure you are upwind?
I hear ya. I have a decent zoom camera, but this one was with my phone. The grizzly was right off Going-to-the-Sun Road near St. Mary Lake and I was only roadrunning this time, not hiking, so car was right there . . . door open and idling.;)
Definitely needed telephoto for shot of griz family above.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Too damn cool . . other than rockfall (yikes). Harding Icefield was the challenging hike we were planning, plus some lesser ones, maybe Russian River. We’ll be sticking to Kenai, too, and while the cruise sounds great, our trip will be shorter and we’ll stay landlocked.
Anything planned for fall? We’re either trying Hidden Lake in North Cascades NP or some trails in the Canadian Rockies. Don’t know your age, but at 65 and having lost all knee cartilage years ago, we’ve shortened hikes to a maximum of 12 miles roundtrip. Less is fine with me. ;)
57 - wish I had the grit, determination and mental fortitude I’ve developed in my life combined with 22 year old legs. My reach often exceeds my grasp re: hikes right now. I just got back from Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef. Amazing stuff, especially Capitol Reef. How is that park not talked about more? It’s absolutely gorgeous - plus there’s no better driving than on Utah Rt 12 near Capitol Reef and the Grand Staircase Escalante. Only negative bit was knee tendinitis that reduced my Canyonlands visit to short rim walks - that was thanks to my overdoing it at Arches.

Nothing planned for fall. Trying to find a good place for my son who has special needs and is about to age out of school. He’s a handful and makes it real hard to travel (I’ve got to lineup a 24 hour care giver which is mucho $$$$). Once he’s situated and I’ve got more time, I’m going somewhere on walk about - Tasmania, Patagonia, Oman, Namibia, New Zealand. Not sure but someplace there’s no cell service and few people

If you were Bearclaw, you would have intelligence and common sense…and therefore, would not post the idiotic things you do.
Did you come up with that all on your own? Throwing Zingers today! Look out

57 - wish I had the grit, determination and mental fortitude I’ve developed in my life combined with 22 year old legs. My reach often exceeds my grasp re: hikes right now. I just got back from Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef. Amazing stuff, especially Capitol Reef. How is that park not talked about more? It’s absolutely gorgeous - plus there’s no better driving than on Utah Rt 12 near Capitol Reef and the Grand Staircase Escalante. Only negative bit was knee tendinitis that reduced my Canyonlands visit to short rim walks - that was thanks to my overdoing it at Arches.

Nothing planned for fall. Trying to find a good place for my son who has special needs and is about to age out of school. He’s a handful and makes it real hard to travel (I’ve got to lineup a 24 hour care giver which is mucho $$$$). Once he’s situated and I’ve got more time, I’m going somewhere on walk about - Tasmania, Patagonia, Oman, Namibia, New Zealand. Not sure but someplace there’s no cell service and few people
I’d even settle for my son’s 33-year-old knees. Of the Utah parks, we’ve only hiked Zion, but always had an eye on Arches. Now you’ll have me researching Capitol Reef. Just a helluva lot to still see in good ol’ USA, especially since idiot me didn’t start our trips till 2017.
That’s a tough road to handle with your son. I’m not religious, but I believe either God or fate finds a way to shine on parents who are dealt and faithfully meet such a challenge. In your case, I think it means your exciting walkabout to one of those fascinating destinations will, in fact, happen and be as enjoyable as you imagined.

We need a sarcasm smily. (Or one that everyone agrees denotes sarcasm) I always use a laughing smily for lack of anything better if I post something that is not meant to be taken seriously.
🤪😜🤥🤭😋😉🙊🤏🧑‍🦽

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT