ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State "remains resolute" that discrimination is important

I don't think most of you understand the "affirmative action" in this context (college admissions). Colleges whittle down all applicants into a pool of meritorious candidates from which they offer admissions. The emphasis on diversity means that non-white students from this pool are sometimes given priority in order to achieve a diverse class that reflects the racial diversity of society. If you can't see that is a good and fair policy, especially when "legacies" are still allowed, don't know what else to say.
well, ok. the problem is the suit that was brought was brought by Asian Americans who were less likely to get into the school of their choice because they are overachieving statistically.

the problem you introduce is what level of racism is allowed? Who gets to say who can be racist, against what race and by how much? There are clearly groups that don't get a chance that has nothing to do with race. What about a white kid, born to a single parent, living in a trailer court in downtown Aliquippa? The fact is, starting positions are in different places based on where and to whom you are born. There is no way to stop this. Harvard, in particular, is replete with accepting kids from Harvard grads (with the appropriate donation). So instead of deciding what level of racism is OK, how about they stop with attendance based on money and/or connections?

Clearly, the 14th Amendment wasn't passed to allow limited or targeted racism in any way shape, or form. Anything else is clearly racism and is part of the equal application of the laws. Once you decide to circumvent the 14th amendment and its associated laws because it makes you feel better, you've destroyed equal application of law which is fundamental to society.

31% of the US is lower class white people…what percentage of Harvard is lower class white people? I would guess it’s less than 6%. A school like Harvard is not going to have equal representation for all sub groups because the majority of people from all groups don’t qualify.

Were those lower class white people's great grandparents ever slaves in this country? Why are you all ignoring the great stain in this country's history?

Reactions: NittanyChris
Most probably immigrated after the civil war so had nothing to do with it.

BTW, you know slavery isn't unique to America, right?

Are you in 5th grade? Because that's the excuse my 10 year old gives every time he does something wrong.

You have no idea what percentage of blacks in America are descendants of slaves, and it's irrelevant SLAVERY -> COLOR OF SKIN -> CURRENT DISCRIMINATION.

Racism is not preferential treatment based on ethnic or racial bias. Racism in America is the systematic discrimination of black people (and to a lesser extent, other minorities) in almost every facet of everyday life: getting a mortgage (redlining), being stopped for traffic violations, being accused of shoplifting, etc., etc., etc.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Plus many were slaves in their old country…which is why they came here with nothing but hope and determination.
Are you in 5th grade? Because that's the excuse my 10 year old gives every time he does something wrong.

You have no idea what percentage of blacks in America are descendants of slaves, and it's irrelevant SLAVERY -> COLOR OF SKIN -> CURRENT DISCRIMINATION.

Racism is not preferential treatment based on ethnic or racial bias. Racism in America is the systematic discrimination of black people (and to a lesser extent, other minorities) in almost every facet of everyday life: getting a mortgage (redlining), being stopped for traffic violations, being accused of shoplifting, etc., etc., etc.

Your definition of racism is incorrect. In no place does the constitution allow for targeted racism

From Google: racism: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.​

In no place is racism allowed by any race for or against another

Last edited:

So let’s stop it by being racist against other groups?

Plus many were slaves in their old country…which is why they came here with nothing but hope and determination.
I wouldn’t go so far as to call them slaves, but as victims of rigid “caste systems” that varied by particular Country of origin. However, they were denied equal opportunity and quite limited opportunities for social and economic growth. For the most part, they had legal opportunities (albeit often incredibly dangerous and/or expensive) to escape. Due to its Legal standing this wasn’t available to slaves. I don’t want to be splitting hairs here, but I believe that there is a significant difference.

I wouldn’t go so far as to call them slaves, but as victims of rigid “caste systems” that varied by particular Country of origin. However, they were denied equal opportunity and quite limited opportunities for social and economic growth. For the most part, they had legal opportunities (albeit often incredibly dangerous and/or expensive) to escape. Due to its Legal standing this wasn’t available to slaves. I don’t want to be splitting hairs here, but I believe that there is a significant difference.
Most were serfs or indentured servants in corrupt systems that made them about as close to slaves as one could get. Many were in debtors prisons. Others severely treated because they were in the wrong religion that wasn’t in cahoots with the ruling dictator.

Were those lower class white people's great grandparents ever slaves in this country? Why are you all ignoring the great stain in this country's history?
A significant number of African Americans admitted to elite universities never had great grandparents that were slaves in this country either. Many of the most successful blacks in America immigrated in the last couple of generations. Those recent immigrants from African nations earn 36% higher average incomes than blacks who were born in the US and their children outperform US born black in academics. The average income of US immigrants from multiple African nations is actually higher than the average income of Caucasians. Also, many of the children of US immigrants from African nations had relatives in their lineage that sold African slaves that came to the US.

So why would there be a preference by the color of one's skin to right a past wrong from generations ago when it would help US immigrant families from Africa that may have sold slaves more so than it helps blacks whose lineage was sold by the lineage of those immigrants from African nations? Heck, a higher percentage of black immigrants from Nigeria have degrees than do Asian Americans.

RE_2022.01.20_Black-Immigrants_3-02.png

FT_22.03.29_CollegeGradFacts_2.png

Most were serfs or indentured servants in corrupt systems that made them about as close to slaves as one could get. Many were in debtors prisons. Others severely treated because they were in the wrong religion that wasn’t in cahoots with the ruling dictator.
Agreed.

First, I am completely sympathetic to @cntblvitsbutter posts and viewpoints. But here is the problem.

• My mother-in-law immigrated to the USA from Sicily in the late 1940's as a young girl. Her mother and father came to America with the cloths on their backs, a suitcase, and just enough money to get to the USA. They got someone to rent a bedroom out to them and took physical labor jobs. My Mother in Law was employed full time at age 13 while still going to school and also took in a class to learn English. Now in her 80's, she isn't wealthy but is completely independent physically and financially. She suffered anti-italian prejudice and started with zero. I am not saying the anti-italian movement was on par with black Americans but many black Americans are doing just fine. So should the daughter's of the Obamas and Michael Jordan get accepted to Harvard because they are, at least partially, black?
  • Clearly, there is still racism in America. And that is a big part of the problem. We get it. But a black man was elected president, TWICE and almost every major city in America has or has had a black mayor. So it is getting better and black people have paths to get ahead. Affirmative Action, as we now know it, really began in the 60's and was codified in the 70's. So, any black American who is under the age of 50 grew up during the age of Affirmative Action.
  • Judges are supposed to rule on the law, not make laws or social policies. There really was no way to rule any other way given the way the constitution is written. Decision-making by race is illegal, full stop. MLK didn't say "I have a dream that we have reverse racism". It really makes things worse as people become racist who are passed over. But there is a lot we can do and a lot that is being done. I've got no problem with govt programs helping black american's improve their lives. And there are hundreds of them.
  • But claiming to be victims is its own problem. Minorities need to clean up their lives. Single parenthood is pandemic levels. High school dropouts in many, if not most, public schools is 20% or more. Black Americans listen to music that is replete with violence, misogyny, and racism. Why? Black leadership needs to call this out. I do the same for my teen daughter, every ****ing day, when she is listening to this music or watching a show that depicts drugs and booze as "fun". She is starting to have friends who are running into serious problems at college due to drugs, sex and booze. She is just starting to get it.
So, to be clear. there is racism. programs to help underprivileged kids need to be funded. Universities can do their part by keeping costs down, supporting kids in STEM programs (and not music therapy unless they know the consequences of those majors), and stopping their own prejudice/nepotism. Is any of this going to happen? Probably not. But screwing over a white kid who scored a 1550 from Aliquippa or Emporium isn't going to stop racism.

Last edited:
And were these lower class white people’s great grandparents ever slave owners? Likely no, so why would we push for practices that help people whose relatives were not slaves and hurt people whose relatives were not slave owners?

And were these lower class white people’s great grandparents ever slave owners? Likely no, so why would we push for practices that help people whose relatives were not slaves and hurt people whose relatives were not slave owners?
Yes, go after those that perpetrated slavery. Like the evil🤡party that fought a civil war to keep slavery. Or maybe go after the European countries that made huge profits on the slave trade for over 150 years before the USA even existed? Like these guys:

Reactions: bison13
If you go back enough generations, nearly all of us, black, white, hispanic, middle eastern, etc. are decedents of both slave owners and slaves. I went on a vacation to Spain, France, Italy, and Greece and did a lot of guided tours. Nearly every place has stories of multiple groups of people that had come and conquered and then been conquered by another. What person alive today has pure blood of a people that hasn't been conquered?

You said “about as close to slaves as one could get”, true, but the chasm was still incredibly wide. There are marks of degradation and humiliation associated with Legal slavery that other demeaning systems no matter how institutionally corrupt will ever equal. Once again, I’m not down playing the incredible hardships and injustices that our white ancestors faced. The undeniable difference was that when they boarded a ship freely or against their wishes in chains, there was for all of them a glimmer of hope for a better life and a chance to eventually start anew. There was no such hope on a slave ship bound for the Western Hemisphere.

Finally understand that I’m about as far removed from being a whiny reparations seeking, white guilt apologist liberal as one could be. However in this particular matter I do see a distinct difference.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
A huge pitfall of current AA and similar schemes is that they are zero sum games.

Ex: Every black person that gets admitted (great) means one less Asian/white person that gets admitted (bad). With more and more people going to college, fewer and fewer Asian/white kids will have the opportunities their parents had.

The simple answer is bigger freshman class sizes at in-demand universities. Schools like Harvard, Duke etc could triple their class sizes with no drop off in merit. And they have billions in reserves to add teachers, classrooms etc. especially with more instruction being virtual.

Maybe for STEM degrees there will be more weed out but for Lib Arts or most Business courses, students will learn the material and do fine.

Why don't we focus on current slavery?

Top 10 Countries with the Highest Prevalence of Modern Slavery (by total number of slaves) - Global Slavery Index 2018:​

1. India - 7,989,000
  2. China - 3,864,000
  3. North Korea - 2,640,000
  4. Nigeria - 1,386,000
  5. Iran - 1,289,000
  6. Indonesia - 1,220,000
  7. Congo (Democratic Republic of) - 1,045,000
  8. Russia - 794,000
  9. Philippines - 784,000
  10. Afghanistan - 749,000
Meanwhile, in the US. It is estimated that between 15,000 to 50,000 women and children are forced into sexual slavery in the United States every year, and the total number varies wildly as it is very difficult to research. One study from the Department of Health and Human Services estimated the number between 240,000 and 325,000, while a report from the University of Pennsylvania put it at between 100,000 and 300,000.

Why would the focus be on past slavery removed by several generations when it still exists and is prevalent in many parts of the world and is sadly still occurring in the US. I guarantee that these numbers are exploding with an unchecked border and cartels profiting off of fully unchecked illegal immigration.

What's crazy is that affirmative action is likely to help immigrants from Nigeria (64% have a college degree in the US) whose families may still own slaves (Nigeria is 4th highest in modern slavery).

You said “about as close to slaves as one could get”, true, but the chasm was still incredibly wide. There are marks of degradation and humiliation associated with Legal slavery that other demeaning systems no matter how institutionally corrupt will ever equal. Once again, I’m not down playing the incredible hardships and injustices that our white ancestors faced. The undeniable difference was that when they boarded a ship freely or against their wishes in chains, there was for all of them a glimmer of hope for a better life and a chance to eventually start anew. There was no such hope on a slave ship bound for the Western Hemisphere.

Finally understand that I’m about as far removed from being a whiny reparations seeking, white guilt apologist liberal as one could be. However in this particular matter I do see a distinct difference.
Point taken. I certainly overstated the comparison.

Reactions: Thomas1945

Fair post. But I would argue that not a single person alive today was a slave (apologies to Colin Kaepernick). In fact, I am pretty sure nobody of working age today is even the son or daughter of a slave in the USA. As I stated previously, Affirmative Action is at least 50 years old. That means someone looking for a job when Affirmative Action was put in place would be at least 68 years old. So we are now a working generation removed from making up for slavery with Affirmative Action.

There needs to continue to be programs put in place for poor Americans to go to college and achieve in whatever way they want to. But it is also time to start to take accountability for one's own actions. I have a friend that always wants to complain to me about their childhood. I finally told him that I will listen to nothing before today. we start at today and look forward. What can you do with today to build a future? Enough with the victimhood, nut up, take advantage of what you have and move forward.

Nobody is ignoring anything, except you.
Every country in the world had slaves. Blacks had slaves and were a major factor in enslaving black people.
The loser Democratic party should move onto empowering people instead of creating more victims and losers. But the Dems don't really want to help anyone or they wouldn't do what they do.
Since the 60s and Johnson's great society the black race has gone backwards. Thanks to welfare they don't have father's in the home and the wealth gap has gotten worse. The democratic party has been an absolute disaster for minorities and they were the party of slavery and Jim crow. The libs should focus on their own history and it's disastrous affects.

Fair post. But I would argue that not a single person alive today was a slave (apologies to Colin Kaepernick). In fact, I am pretty sure nobody of working age today is even the son or daughter of a slave in the USA. As I stated previously, Affirmative Action is at least 50 years old. That means someone looking for a job when Affirmative Action was put in place would be at least 68 years old. So we are now a working generation removed from making up for slavery with Affirmative Action.

There needs to continue to be programs put in place for poor Americans to go to college and achieve in whatever way they want to. But it is also time to start to take accountability for one's own actions. I have a friend that always wants to complain to me about their childhood. I finally told him that I will listen to nothing before today. we start at today and look forward. What can you do with today to build a future? Enough with the victimhood, nut up, take advantage of what you have and move forward.
Are you drinking unfiltered water directly from Lake Erie again? Of course it’s a fair post. I wrote it. You forgot to add insightful, informative, artfully crafted, correct in all aspects plus numerous other superlatives that humility prevents me from listing.

Hey dude, I have a lot of friends and family in law enforcement. None of these good people are looking to arrest black people for the sake of arresting black people. You're an absolute disgrace and perhaps you should understand that law enforcement targets areas where the crime is. If that crime occurs in white neighborhoods or Asian neighborhoods or Hispanic neighborhoods or black neighborhoods then that's where they go. And unfortunately you liberal clowns ignore that black neighborhoods have a lot of crime. If you don't want police to enforce laws because offenders are black then that's a different argument. But instead of ignoring reality focus on those root causes you hypocrites like to talk about. No father's in the home, a culture that glorifies violence and antisocial behavior, a culture that doesn't value education,and an ideology that tells them they have no hope.
Until then stand a post and try to keep communities safe.

Are you drinking unfiltered water directly from Lake Erie again? Of course it’s a fair post. I wrote it. You forgot to add insightful, informative, artfully crafted, correct in all aspects plus numerous other superlatives that humility prevents me from listing.
71f4f22bbfa6273d95812ee84c29eccf.gif

Reactions: Thomas1945
Hey dude, I have a lot of friends and family in law enforcement. None of these good people are looking to arrest black people for the sake of arresting black people. You're an absolute disgrace and perhaps you should understand that law enforcement targets areas where the crime is. If that crime occurs in white neighborhoods or Asian neighborhoods or Hispanic neighborhoods or black neighborhoods then that's where they go. And unfortunately you liberal clowns ignore that black neighborhoods have a lot of crime. If you don't want police to enforce laws because offenders are black then that's a different argument. But instead of ignoring reality focus on those root causes you hypocrites like to talk about. No father's in the home, a culture that glorifies violence and antisocial behavior, a culture that doesn't value education,and an ideology that tells them they have no hope.
Until then stand a post and try to keep communities safe.

Wow, uh ok. Never mentioned law enforcement, but go ahead and get on your high horse and go to where I know you want to go.

In the 60s 80% of black families had father's in the home. Now 20% of black families have a father. The wealth gap hasn't improved at all and minority schools are a disaster. That's some progress.
High school grad rate plummeted. Teen age pregnancy skyrocketed. Drug abuse skyrocketed. Crime skyrocketed.

But other than all that the Great Society was a great success!

Here's something you don't see reported very much. It goes in line with the diversity and the equal outcomes.

I remember when the admissions were altered in the '60s. There were more blacks on campus, but they didn't alter the grades, which they are apparently doing now. Altering grades ends up cheapening a diploma for everyone.

What the flip is going on at PSU?

Because it is HISTORY.

And what is done now will be HISTORY in the future, which can now be corrected so in the future people will look back at this point in time as the time when discrimination was stopped!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: indynittany
Because it is a great stain on humanity. Slavery has existed since the dawn of man, in every civilization on every continent except Antartica where no one lived until recent times. It existed in the New World before the white man arrived

Further, the great stain lies with both the European slave traders and the African tribal leaders that sold men, including some of their own people, into slavery for riches and power. The Dutch, Brits, Spanish, Portuguese, and more all bought slaves in Africa from warlords that sold them the slaves. The Europeans didn’t send troops to capture slaves, they bought them. If you think reparations are in order then go after those that started it and profited handsomely from it.

Last, go after the D party for all they did to continue slavery and then keep the back people down once slavery ended.

Last edited:
So the university wants diversity plus wants to help minorities. Good on them. But discriminating against others to achieve that goal is wrong.

Here is how they could get their beloved diversity while helping minorities; pick out the five worst performing high schools in the state. Send teachers and counselors there to improve the schools. At the same time, promise tuition free college for four years to any student that achieves the academic standard to enroll.

Motivate and help but don’t discriminate. Imagine the results if every university adopted just one poor performing high school
The "five worst performing high schools in the state" will have one thing in common: The worst performing parents. How do you make the parents be better parents?

You're right. It must start at the lowest level of education. I've heard that no kid in 13 Baltimore City schools is proficient in English or something like that; considering all of the money that is poured into these inner city schools, that's totally unacceptable and absurd.

Instead of focusing on turning boys into girls and vice versa, maybe the despicable people who run this country should focus on why so many of our youth today are so behind students in other countries in the sciences, etc. This is just a microcosm of the rapid decline of this country.
Since the 1970's we as a nation have accelerated our goose step march towards conservative economics with out sourcing and the so called post industrial economy. Inherited wealth placed in the hands of never did anything special and never will do anything sensible has placed us a precarious position of masses of unmotivated people because 'upward mobility' is opportunity for a rapidly diminishing subset of our population.
Trickle Down more aptly should be called 'Suck Up'.

Now we are at another milestone in this mimicking of lemming economic digression where more and more people in our economy will be dumped into the service sector by automation. I see more decline in upward mobility for more and more of our population? The appeal of working 5 jobs to afford a cell phone and a used car every 5 years is not the way to motivate large portions of our population.

A total redraft of our future economic plan and an economic reboot seems in order to me.

I'm sure this will deter legacy admissions, however those pursuing this lawsuit aren't likely to get the outcome they seek.

"Many colleges use SAT scores for admissions and financial aid decisions.
More selective institutions require high SAT scores for entry-and there
are even bigger race gaps at the top of the score distribution. Of those
scoring above 700, 43% are Asian and 45% are white, compared to 6%
Hispanic or Latino and 1% Black."

Reactions: bison13
Since the 1970's we as a nation have accelerated our goose step march towards conservative economics with out sourcing and the so called post industrial economy. Inherited wealth placed in the hands of never did anything special and never will do anything sensible has placed us a precarious position of masses of unmotivated people because 'upward mobility' is opportunity for a rapidly diminishing subset of our population.
Trickle Down more aptly should be called 'Suck Up'.

Now we are at another milestone in this mimicking of lemming economic digression where more and more people in our economy will be dumped into the service sector by automation. I see more decline in upward mobility for more and more of our population? The appeal of working 5 jobs to afford a cell phone and a used car every 5 years is not the way to motivate large portions of our population.

A total redraft of our future economic plan and an economic reboot seems in order to me.
Most that have wealth in the US have actually earned it themselves. The minority that inherited it are typically privileged liberals (think Rutgresdave and how he told us that he and his siblings were left millions although I'd say at least $25m is needed to be truly wealthy these days).

"It is estimated that 70% of wealthy families will lose their wealth by the second generation and 90% will lose it by the third. There are a variety of reasons why this happens:

• Generations are taught not to talk about money
  • The prior generations worry that the next generation will become lazy and entitled
  • Many have no clue about the value of money or how to handle it"

This is actually a big reason why I support taxing spending more heavily and no income taxes. If we want people to be able to move up and down the ladder of financial standing, then don't apply the breaks. Tax those that spend what they didn't earn at a higher rate than those who are earning to build wealth.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT