ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State finishes the Fall season as #2 in Director's Cup standings

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001

Penn State and Stanford are the nation’s only institutions to place in the Top 10 in the final fall Directors’ Cup standings in each of the past 11 years.

Stanford leads the Directors’ Cup and is followed by Penn State (386), Wisconsin (352.5), UCLA (332), Michigan (319.5), Michigan State (313.5), North Carolina State (303.5), USC (280.5), Colorado (269.5), and Texas (269).

The Big Ten and Pac-12 Conferences dominate the fall Learfield Directors’ Cup standings, with each conference having four institutions in the Top 10.

During the 2017 fall semester, Penn State won Big Ten women’s volleyball championship and the women’s soccer team captured the Big Ten Tournament title. The field hockey, men’s and women’s cross country, women’s soccer and women’s volleyball teams all competed in their respective NCAA Championships and the football team won the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl.

Penn State and Stanford were the only schools to have three teams advance to the NCAA quarterfinals among this past fall’s five team bracketed NCAA Championships.

If so:

Does anyone believe that Stanford has had the "strongest athletic program" each and every year for the last 25 years?
Or that University of Virginia consistently has a "stronger athletic program" than Penn State?

Some people love trophies and "rankings" so much, that they just make up shit to award trophies for. Even if most of the people who brag about them don't even know what determines the "winner".
IDK - Maybe it helps them convince their bosses to give them a raise.

:rolleyes:

WRONG. METRICS. :eek:

It implies that the money taken from football and basketball is spent less poorly than at other universities.

That's my view. A sort of efficiency metric.

LdN

So a school that wins a, say, golf title and loses $500K in the process is more or less efficient than the school that doesn't and only loses $200K? And where does that put a school that opts not to field golf team?

Well doesn’t it have other benefits? Like the golf course generates more revenue because the team is good?

Lonny Poole golf course at NC state home of the Wolfpack. Or any of the other two courses there for duke or nc I’ve played them all. Or the hackler course here in Myrtle home of the Chanticleers and Dustin Johnson or Arizona state course that Phil called home. I have played them all because of their noteritity with players and schools. I have also play Wisconsin’s course and Michigan’s course as well.

Reactions: hlstone
In this thread, Sandy haters try to convince people that success in all sports is not a major goal of an athletic department.

Reactions: doctornick
To me its a pride thing. JMO but if you are going to compete in large number of sports you might as well try to succeed at as many of them as you can. Look at schools like Pitt or Rutgers. They expend resources to field a bunch of teams and are terrible at the overwhelming majority of them.

tenor.gif

Reactions: razpsu
The exact same people who are writing about finishing #2 in the Fall Director's Cup doesn't matter, would be bashing Sandy and the athletic program if we finished 90th.

Of course I would. If you're going to piss away money, you should have something to show for it, even if it's only some piece of tin that few know or care about. My question remains: why piss money away in the first place? Silly question. You're a university, pissing money away is what you do.

Reactions: razpsu
In a world where a women's golf championship carries the same weight as a football or basketball championship.
It rewards programs for success in all the stuff that doesn't make money and get hyped. Makes all the forgotten sports matter for something. I'm all for that.

But I agree the scoring should be changed a bit. Otherwise nobody but Stanford will win, or truly care.

It rewards programs for success in all the stuff that doesn't make money and get hyped. Makes all the forgotten sports matter for something. I'm all for that.

But I agree the scoring should be changed a bit. Otherwise nobody but Stanford will win, or truly care.

So who gets their picture taken with this trophy? All of the teams or just those that contributed points to the trophy?

BTW, the "forgotten sports" are forgotten for a reason.

Penn State and Stanford are the nation’s only institutions to place in the Top 10 in the final fall Directors’ Cup standings in each of the past 11 years.

Stanford leads the Directors’ Cup and is followed by Penn State (386), Wisconsin (352.5), UCLA (332), Michigan (319.5), Michigan State (313.5), North Carolina State (303.5), USC (280.5), Colorado (269.5), and Texas (269).

The Big Ten and Pac-12 Conferences dominate the fall Learfield Directors’ Cup standings, with each conference having four institutions in the Top 10.

During the 2017 fall semester, Penn State won Big Ten women’s volleyball championship and the women’s soccer team captured the Big Ten Tournament title. The field hockey, men’s and women’s cross country, women’s soccer and women’s volleyball teams all competed in their respective NCAA Championships and the football team won the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl.

Penn State and Stanford were the only schools to have three teams advance to the NCAA quarterfinals among this past fall’s five team bracketed NCAA Championships.
Decent BB head-coach and we could be #1!!!

So who gets their picture taken with this trophy? All of the teams or just those that contributed points to the trophy?

Title IX requires it. Keep crying over something that will never change.

I can't figure out the hate for Sandy by some. Is it simply she's a woman who is employed in a role that has always been held by a man at Penn State? Her alleged "alternative lifestyle" that some don't like? Who gives a f*ck?

The performance both athletically and academically across all sports has never been better. If you want to talk about fundraising, that is a fair criticism. And maybe the same biases that we see on this board are effecting donors. Or left over bitterness from the whole Paterno firing. How was fundraising under Uncle Fester? Any better?

I can't figure out the hate for Sandy by some. Is it simply she's a woman who is employed in a role that has always been held by a man at Penn State? Her alleged "alternative lifestyle" that some don't like? Who gives a f*ck?

The performance both athletically and academically across all sports has never been better. If you want to talk about fundraising, that is a fair criticism. And maybe the same biases that we see on this board are effecting donors. Or left over bitterness from the whole Paterno firing. How was fundraising under Uncle Fester? Any better?

She was and still is viewed as a disastrous hire by those who blame her for destroying Cal Athletics. (BARRY. :eek: )

Last edited:
The article omits that Stanford’s total is 523 points. They are 137 points ahead of second place. The spread from 2-10 is 386-269.5.
Pitt has 78 points in 92 place tied with my son’s school, mighty Miami in Oxford, and Rutgers is tied for 114th with 19 other athletic heavyweights

You would have an overage of about 60 scholarships on the women’s side.

Like I said, good luck.

And that's a problem why? As things stand currently there are roughly 130 more participants on mens teams than womens (160 if you count the men who serve as tackling dummies for womens teams and are counted as female participants). Does PSU currently have a Title IX problem? And when was the last time you heard of a Title IX action brought against a major university by men who felt they got a raw deal athletically?

And that's a problem why? As things stand currently there are roughly 130 more participants on mens teams than womens (160 if you count the men who serve as tackling dummies for womens teams and are counted as female participants). Does PSU currently have a Title IX problem? And when was the last time you heard of a Title IX action brought against a major university by men who felt they got a raw deal athletically?
How many schools cut all of their programs except for those that were profitable? After you answer none, could you list the multiple reasons (and there are many) that schools have not done it?

We'd have to ask someone at Stanford. :cool:

If Penn State EVER wins it, an aerial photo of an open field with the trophy and every student, employee and volunteer in the athletic department may be appropriate.

How many schools cut all of their programs except for those that were profitable? After you answer none, could you list the multiple reasons (and there are many) that schools have not done it?

I guess Title IX isn't working anymore. So now we move to the "we'll do it because everyone else does it" rationalization. Yup, that's leadership for ya.

We'd have to ask someone at Stanford. :cool:

If Penn State EVER wins it, an aerial photo of an open field with the trophy and every student, employee and volunteer in the athletic department may be appropriate.

Recognizing, of course, the contributions of both basketball teams, the baseball and softball teams, etc. to the overall excellence of the Athletic Department.

I think she's doing a great job in many ways. Based on most teams' performance, the athletic department certainly seems to be strong. Biggest complaint I keep hearing is she's blowing a ton of money. But her budgets need to be approved and big spending seems part of a trend at PSU.

I'm not judging. Like you, I don't give a darn about her personal life. Seems the biggest question is whether the spending and apparent success are sustainable. Nobody on this board knows the answer to that question.

I guess Title IX isn't working anymore. So now we move to the "we'll do it because everyone else does it" rationalization. Yup, that's leadership for ya.
It worked just fine. You have to address title IX in your scenario. And then there are multiple other reasons that makes what you said stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT