ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State falls in AP & Coaches poll despite 63-0 win

was totally obvious this would happen with Oregon and Washington playing each other on the same week we had UMass

was totally obvious this would happen with Oregon and Washington playing each other on the same week we had UMass
Until the end of the season when the entire Pac shits the bed, and each of them have 2+ losses. Then it will look like a really stupid thing.

Reactions: dswartz
Until the end of the season when the entire Pac shits the bed, and each of them have 2+ losses. Then it will look like a really stupid thing.
if we win next week we are going to jump right back over them, and may even get a couple first-place votes. if we lose next week we are behind Washington anyway. so it really doesn't matter much

Look, we all know rankings don’t mean anything right now and we control our own destiny. That said…

Washington being ranked ahead of PSU right now is an absolute farce. On a neutral field, PSU beats Washington 8 times out of 10.

But then does it really matter? PSU would then be ahead of them

Hard to believe that Bama moved up when they had a very unimpressive win against one of the SEC bottom feeders.

Reactions: psu00
Hard to believe that Bama moved up when they had a very unimpressive win against one of the SEC bottom feeders.
They only moved up in one of the 2 polls and that was about dropping others (though they got some votes to tie Oklahoma)

List all the Power 5 conference teams this would happen to. I'll wait, and would happily change my opinion if you can come up with teams comparable to PSU.
this would have happened to any team that was sitting one spot ahead of Washington and playing UMass the same week that Washington beat Oregon.

Reactions: LandoComando
also why does anyone care about this? we have an obvious path to #2 or even #1 if we win every game from here through Michigan. If we lose, obviously we drop, so this week's ranking is totally unimportant
People just want to be mad and believe everyone is out to get us
The fact anyone thinks this is a problem is insane
Although the title of this article/thread didn't help.

People just want to be mad and believe everyone is out to get us
The fact anyone thinks this is a problem is insane
Although the title of this article/thread didn't help.
to the extent it is a problem (which it isn't) the blame falls on our pathetic OOC scheduling, not the voters who are making a rational ranking here

to the extent it is a problem (which it isn't) the blame falls on our pathetic OOC scheduling, not the voters who are making a rational ranking here
However, and I posted this elsewhere, there is a scenario where a 1 loss PSU is clearly one of the top 4 teams in the country but still gets screwed.

Say we beat tOSU but lose to scUM by one point and they go undefeated. Does a non Big 10 Champion PSU with 1 loss get in as the 2nd Big 10 team? There’s a good chance we don’t, even though our only loss would be to the #1 team and we would certainly deserve it.

Last edited:
However, and I posted this elsewhere, there is a scenario where a 1 loss PSU is clearly one of the top 4 teams in the country but stillgets screwed.

Say we beat tOSU but lose to scUM by one point and they go undefeated. Does a non Big 10 Champion PSU with 1 loss get in as the 2nd Big 10 team? There’s a good chance we don’t, even though our only loss would be to the #1 team and we would certainly deserve it.
if that happens, then I think PSU needs to do a little self-reflection the next time their OOC choices are down to something like Delaware, WVU and UMass. At that point you need to accept that maybe, just maybe, it is ok to have one less home game once every 35 years.

if that happens, then I think PSU needs to do a little self-reflection the next time their OOC choices are down to something like Delaware, WVU and UMass. At that point you need to accept that maybe, just maybe, it is ok to have one less home game once every 35 years.
This--depending on who gets in over us we could have used another win.
Texas for example with the Bama win would be hard for us to complain

List all the Power 5 conference teams this would happen to. I'll wait, and would happily change my opinion if you can come up with teams comparable to PSU.
Washington jumped over both PSU and Oklahoma in the AP. So there’s one other team just this week…

OOC schedule not withstanding, you’re suggesting that Washington in the PAC or Florida State in the ACC would have a more impressive résumé? Not by a long shot.

tOSU was ranked #3 in the preseason and was passed by both FSU and Bama for the poll after week 1.

OOC schedule not withstanding, you’re suggesting that Washington in the PAC or Florida State in the ACC would have a more impressive résumé? Not by a long shot.
I think a lot of west coast writers believe that Washington is amazing this year and want to push their qb for Heisman

FSU is just overrated and there's not a good explanation for it

Reactions: royboy
Washington would have way more quality wins because of how deep the Pac XII is? Are we joking with that one
I think FSU has to run the table to get in but if they do they'll be in over 11-1 Penn State at 13-0.
Currently--Washington beating Oregon puts them ahead of us and FSU having wins over LSU and Clemson help them though that's why we easily jump them by beating Ohio State.

Then explain Michigan’s ranking then? Their non conference schedule is pathetic, way worse than our. Or are the voters not “rational” with them?

Reactions: dswartz
Then explain Michigan’s ranking then? Their non conference schedule is pathetic, way worse than our. Or are the voters not “rational” with them?
Georgia and Michigan are considered the best two teams--until they lose they'll most likely stay 1-2.
Past success matters even if we wish it didn't

also why does anyone care about this? we have an obvious path to #2 or even #1 if we win every game from here through Michigan. If we lose, obviously we drop, so this week's ranking is totally unimportant
If you think we would leapfrog Georgia after beating Michigan then you are dreaming- that is why I have a problem with the voters pulling this kind of crap based on beating an Oregon team that will lose 1-2 additional games.

If you think we would leapfrog Georgia after beating Michigan then you are dreaming- that is why I have a problem with the voters pulling this kind of crap based on beating an Oregon team that will lose 1-2 additional games.
I am saying that Georgia could lose by then. If we are unbeaten going into the Michigan game it is going to be 2 vs 3 or 1 vs 2.

Georgia is the two-time defending champ--they've earned that 1 spot until someone beats them

Iowa entering the top 25?

WVU was a much better team.........
the wolf of wall street GIF

Nope. If they struggle in a game or two and either of the B2G TWO win out…. They move up to Numero Uno.

Why it’s even possible we(Penn State) will move to #1 should we win out.
If we win out that means Michigan lost so you're saying we MIGHT then jump Georgia.
I don't think anyone jumps Michigan or Georgia until the lose. We likely find out--hope I'm wrong because if we beat Michigan and Ohio State should be 1 heading into the playoff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT