ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State drops to No. 12 in latest CFP rankings

Not unexpected, but if they really think Iowa is #16, doesn’t make sense with the order of 2-loss teams.

Shocked we are above Oklahoma.

Shocked we fell below Oregon State, but they have Washington and Oregon left so either they earn it over the next 12 days or it takes care of itself.

Missouri has 2 ranked wins, but our losses are better. They have a better offense so I can see them being higher.

Louisville....I don't know what to do with. Seems like they are being setup for the ACC title game, but they are only a 1 pt favorite over Miami and close with rival UK.

9 or 10 is the ceiling if we win out without major upsets, which is probably about right.

Reactions: Jerry
If Penn State does indeed make the NY6 this year and has a season of 10 or more wins, it will be the fifth time in eight years the program has accomplished such a feat. The last time the program was able to do so in 8 seasons or less was 1980-1986 (80, 81, 82, 85, 86).

Will never blame fans for wanting more but what a weird legacy for James Franklin. Has built PSU into a consistent top-10/12 program in the country but also consistently called one of the game's "most overrated" HCs.

We'll be interested to see how he's ultimately remembered.

If Penn State does indeed make the NY6 this year and has a season of 10 or more wins, it will be the fifth time in eight years the program has accomplished such a feat. The last time the program was able to do so in 8 seasons or less was 1980-1986 (80, 81, 82, 85, 86).

Will never blame fans for wanting more but what a weird legacy for James Franklin. Has built PSU into a consistent top-10/12 program in the country but also consistently called one of the game's "most overrated" HCs.

It will depend on how he does once the playoffs expand
Even the national media is questioning him in terms of "if not now, when?"
The playoff has definitely changed what the goal is in this era. Right now, he's Richt. He has better talent than most teams that he plays but can't beat great teams during the regular season.
He's also seen as overrated because of the (I'll be kind) questionable game day decisions. A great recruiter that can't win big games.

Shocked we are above Oklahoma.

Shocked we fell below Oregon State, but they have Washington and Oregon left so either they earn it over the next 12 days or it takes care of itself.

Missouri has 2 ranked wins, but our losses are better. They have a better offense so I can see them being higher.

Louisville....I don't know what to do with. Seems like they are being setup for the ACC title game, but they are only a 1 pt favorite over Miami and close with rival UK.

9 or 10 is the ceiling if we win out without major upsets, which is probably about right.
Oklahoma has some bad loses and an "almost loss" to UCF
I agree with you about Oregon State--I didn't see that happening
Louisville is a fraud IMO but we'll see. Wouldn't be completely shocked if they beat Miami, lost to Kentucky then beat FSU.

Reactions: lazydave841

Franklin's best seasons directly correspond to the weakest schedule Penn State has faced. Franklin's legacy is set in stone. He loses to good teams, beats bad teams. The rest? Close to .500. That is his legacy. He is overrated and overpaid.

We are not done dropping. Four or five teams will jump us so long as they don't lose.

All of our opponents except two are not that good. Maybe Iowa but their offense is so bad, it makes ours look like Andre Ware and Houston.

Our real beef should be with JoePa for staying too long and allowing the program to become stale before Sandusky nearly destroyed it. What O’brien and Franklin have accomplished is miraculous following sanctions and during the precipitous decline of western PA high school football that for decades was part of the foundation of our program. Obviously Franklin makes some awful game time decisions and chokes in many big games, but overall during the big10 era of PSU he is outperforming Joe.

Our real beef should be with JoePa for staying too long and allowing the program to become stale before Sandusky nearly destroyed it. What O’brien and Franklin have accomplished is miraculous following sanctions and during the precipitous decline of western PA high school football that for decades was part of the foundation of our program. Obviously Franklin makes some awful game time decisions and chokes in many big games, but overall during the big10 era of PSU he is outperforming Joe.
You must be Franklin's Mom hiding as a PSU fan.

In Joe's worst days he would have a better record vs UM and OSU. Especially with the talent the PSU team has had the last few years. Joe knew how to close games, against very good teams, when he had a lead. Franklin can't beat UM or OSU even when he's up 1 or 2 TD in the 4th quarter. And Joe had a staff that was loyal and had long tenure with PSU. He didn't blame them and fire them when he over rode them and went for 4th downs, went for 2, or got involved in the game plans.

Franklin is paid to win big games and he has shown he can't do it more than 10 - 15 percent of the time. If PSU is serious about winning B10 titles Franklin should be replaced. JMO.

And Joe had a staff that was loyal and had long tenure with PSU. He didn't blame them and fire them when

The era of long tenured coordinators and position coaches is over. Even Joe was among the last who maintained that toward the end of his career.

While I likely agree that JF isn't likely to get us to that 11-1/12-0 area and win the playoff, until the money is raised or enough years pass to buy him out, he's our coach.

Reactions: Obliviax

In Joe's worst days he would have a better record vs UM and OSU. Especially with the talent the PSU team has had the last few years. Joe knew how to close games, against very good teams, when he had a lead. Franklin can't beat UM or OSU even when he's up 1 or 2 TD in the 4th quarter. And Joe had a staff that was loyal and had long tenure with PSU. He didn't blame them and fire them when he over rode them and went for 4th downs, went for 2, or got involved in the game plans.

Franklin is paid to win big games and he has shown he can't do it more than 10 - 15 percent of the time. If PSU is serious about winning B10 titles Franklin should be replaced. JMO.
I’m sorry, but your argument only holds up through the 94 season (the last season we were truly elite.) After that it was a series of disappointments and misuse of talent at Penn State. The 95 through 99 seasons were akin to clinical malpractice. We wasted some of the best talent we ever had at PSU in those years. Don’t get me wrong, Franklin made some bonehead mistakes this past weekend and he still chokes in many big games. But he’s no worse than Joe since 1995 (in fact, I would argue he’s somewhat better) and he has had sanctions and a pandemic to deal with during his tenure. To compare the coaching staff longevity from the different errors is apples to oranges. Programs nowadays cycle through coordinators with regularity. Just remember, our last national championship was 1986 season. Unfortunately, too many fans forget that. I feel like we can get there, but to make an argument that Franklin took over an Alabama level program is inaccurate. He took over a program left for dead on life-support from Sandusky.

Agree and disagree.

tOSU and UM are really at the top of their programs. Let's not forget Woody had bad years and then was followed by John Cooper. Don't forget Michigan had coaches like Brady Hoke (who just retired) and Rich Rodriguez. The GREAT Jim Harbaugh had a record of 49-22 with a losing season in 2020 (COVID year).

tOSU has built a really great program between Tressel, Meyer and Day. They are in the nosebleed section with GA, Alabama and Clemson. UM has strung together a couple of great year.

What is interesting is the notion of "can't win the big one" for us is tOSU and UM. "Can't win the big one for Day and Harbaugh" is GA, AL and Clemson (OK, add TCU, LOL)

You have to go back to 1974 to find a 3 year run in Michigan history that was at this level. They didn't win a title then either. And, this run has seemingly been 🔭 "aided".
Yep....they stuck with Harbaugh, to their credit, when others would have gone elsewhere.

..and when you look at it, CJF started at PSU in 2014 whereas Hairball started in 2015. Michigan didn't have the sanctions and stain we have had to deal with. In addition, the B1G showed complete favoritism to UM for the last several decades. And we may see Harbaugh drummed out of UM in the off season once all of the mess with the fired OC and Stalions comes to light.

Stop the bs. One loss team…..because they were screwed in Michigan…in 2005. Won the B2G twice after that. Had only one loss when the scandal hit. Left a talented team with a good recruiting sanctions hit.

He should have retired at 75 or so but it was a consistent top ten team pretty much where it is now.

Franklin's best seasons directly correspond to the weakest schedule Penn State has faced…
The opponents for Franklin’s three (‘17, ‘19, ‘22) two loss teams compare very favorably with those of the four (‘93, ‘96, ‘08, ‘09) other two loss teams PSU has had in the Big Ten era.
Franklin's legacy is set in stone. He loses to good teams, beats bad teams. The rest? Close to .500. That is his legacy. He is overrated
Provide a list that rates Franklin positively enough that that an overrated description is even possible. This description is used so much it has become comical.
We are not done dropping. Four or five teams will jump us so long as they don't lose.
If PSU loses they will drop, as they should. But as long as PSU wins, they will only climb in the rankings.

I’m sorry, but your argument only holds up through the 94 season (the last season we were truly elite.) After that it was a series of disappointments and misuse of talent at Penn State. The 95 through 99 seasons were akin to clinical malpractice. We wasted some of the best talent we ever had at PSU in those years. Don’t get me wrong, Franklin made some bonehead mistakes this past weekend and he still chokes in many big games. But he’s no worse than Joe since 1995 (in fact, I would argue he’s somewhat better) and he has had sanctions and a pandemic to deal with during his tenure. To compare the coaching staff longevity from the different errors is apples to oranges. Programs nowadays cycle through coordinators with regularity. Just remember, our last national championship was 1986 season. Unfortunately, too many fans forget that. I feel like we can get there, but to make an argument that Franklin took over an Alabama level program is inaccurate. He took over a program left for dead on life-support from Sandusky.
I’m sorry too. I didn’t say anything about “elite”. I said that on his worst day Joe was a better coach than Franklin and that he did it by taking responsibility for his team’s performance. Part of that was avoiding the stupid calls such as going for 4th and 6 in his own territory when it wasn’t necessary, going for 2 in the first half, …..

Joe knew how to make half time adjustments and close out games when he had equal talent. Franklin does not.

Agree and disagree.

What is interesting is the notion of "can't win the big one" for us is tOSU and UM. "Can't win the big one for Day and Harbaugh" is GA, AL and Clemson (OK, add TCU, LOL)
Yep, for us NOW, its UM and oh-high-ya.

For Joe in his prime, it was Alabama, Nebraska, ND.... which were the top programs in the country of that era (and which Joe had a better record against than Franklin does UM and oh-high-ya), as UGA and Alabama and Clemson(was) .... of today. But UM and oh-high-ya are now right with UGA and Bama, and ahead of Clemson, TCU, OK and obviously the pertetually over rated ND........

Two issues so let's separate them.

From '95 to Joe leaving was PSU elite? Of course not so get that out of the way.

Who is a better big game coach. Franklin or Paterno?

Anyone who would say Franklin has their head so far up their a## they will never get it out.

Let's dissect this. There is a in your prime Joe ('66-'94), a fading Joe ('95-'99) and then just a plain old Joe (2000- 2011).

The in his prime Joe was the best coach in the country.. He won two national championships and should have had at least a couple more. His bowl record is phenomenal. And oh by the way he built not only PSU football into a national power but put the university on the map.

I think what you are saying is if you compare the fading and old Joe to Franklin then Franklin appears to have the better record and Franklin had to deal with s hangover from sanctions plus Covid.

Well don't forget as Joe got old the facilities declined and the resources were not what Franklin has.

But let's get back to the question of big game performance.

From '95-2010. Joe was 5-9 versus Michigan and 5-11 vs OSU. A combined 10-20 or winning 33% of those games. Not good.

Franklin is 4-16 against OSU and Michigan or winning 20% of those games. So he actually is worse than Joe and Joe set a low bar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT