ADVERTISEMENT

"Penn State Commits Shining At All-American Games"

T J

May 29, 2001

Committany Nation: Penn State Commits Shining At All-American Games

Justin Shorter and Micah Parsons are living up to their five-star billing.
247sports named

Justin Shorter the Alpha Dog of the day on Tuesday.

Ricky Slade was a top five performer offensively
, while

Jayson Oweh
— who will be announcing his college decision at the game on Thursday — was named a top performer on the defensive side of the ball.

• PJ Mustipher is having a great week too according to 247Sports, taking home the Alpha Dog honor during the first day of practice on Sunday. You can also view OL/DL one-on-ones, which featured Mustipher and Oweh, here.
  • Mike Farrell of Rivals says that Shorter and Mustipher are raising their stock this week, which makes sense given that Rivals has both criminally underrated. They currently have Shorter ranked as the No. 47 overall prospect, while Mustipher comes in at No. 164. Both prospects should rise significantly in the final rankings.
  • Fellow Rivals writer Rob Cassidy praised the future Nittany Lions, saying the Penn State prospects were having the best week of any group of commits at the event.
Army All-American Game News & Notes
  • Micah Parsons was nursing an ankle injury that kept him out of day one, but Parsons made his presence felt on day two. Rivals said that Parsons was the headline performance of the day on Tuesday.

• 247Sports also highlighted Parsons’ performance, saying that the Harrisburg athlete was “unreal as an edge rusher.”

Last edited:
Penn State closes in on historic Top Five recruiting class

FRANK BODANI | FBODANI@YDR.COM
1 hour ago

4303072811001_5695990596001_5695979961001-vs.jpg

Penn State fans gather to celebrate the team in preparation of Saturday's Fiesta Bowl vs. Washington.

FRANK BODANI

The Nittany Lions did more than add an elite pass-rusher to their impressive defensive line recruiting haul this week.

They took another critical step in locking down their highest-rated class in more than a decade.

https://amp.eveningsun.com/amp/1007962001

Reactions: Judge Smails
UA All-America Game: Winners and losers

Rob Cassidy • Rivals.com

ORLANDO, Fla. – Under Armour All-America Week is official in the rearview, as a week of practice culminated with Thursday night’s 23-21 win for the Deion Sanders-coached Team Highlight in the nationally televised event. And while the final score is irrelevant to most, the week that was better for some than it was for others. Today Rivals.com takes a look at the winners and losers from the last few days in Orlando.

WINNERS

PENN STATE

oyyehl06v9mlj8dqpj5s

Justin Shorter

Nittany Lions wide receiver signee
Justin Shorter

had one of the most impressive weeks of practice of any player on either roster. The 6-foot-4 prospect was impressive during every workout and seemed to get better as the cold, rainy weekly pushed forward.
Meanwhile, fellow signee
PJ Mustipher

stood out all week and turned in a near-dominant Monday workout.
Despite fumbling on the opening drive of the game,

Ricky Slade

also made his future college proud with his weeklong performance in practice.
The in-game commitment of
Jayson Oweh

was also a nice bonus.
Most things came up Penn State this week.
https://bwi.rivals.com/news/ua-all-america-game-winners-and-losers-2

Last edited:
Reactions: Judge Smails
The only thing I care about....all our commits came thru injury free...these games are ridiculous

totally agree. glad so see that Shorter was used in a more limited way. no point in trying to show skills when LOI is already signed. showing in the practices is just as big, and much less dangerous.

Watched a UA practice just a day or two ago, and they discussed both Oweh and Tyreke Smith as guys who had tOSU and PSU as their final two schools. I see that Oweh signed a PSU letter of intent on January 4, but was wondering if Smith is still unsigned. Haven't they had the UA game, and did he announce/sign at the game?

Watched a UA practice just a day or two ago, and they discussed both Oweh and Tyreke Smith as guys who had tOSU and PSU as their final two schools. I see that Oweh signed a PSU letter of intent on January 4, but was wondering if Smith is still unsigned. Haven't they had the UA game, and did he announce/sign at the game?
Smith verbal led to tOSU

Reactions: JoeFi

False LB.
Oweh didn't sign anything on Jan 4, 2018.

The early signing period is over.
No signing was possible at any All-American events, since the signing period was closed.

Players publicly revealed their choices at the AA games. Some were already signed, some have not yet signed. They must now wait until the next LOI period.

Smith signed for tOSU during the early period.

Tyreke Smith
Ohio State SIGNED 12/22/2017

Oweh signed for PSU during the early period.

Jason Oweh
Penn State SIGNED 12/22/2017​

False LB.
Oweh didn't sign anything on Jan 4, 2018.

Smith signed for tOSU during the early period.

Teej: Read the following Rivals profile on Oweh, and tell me what it says.

As for Smith, his Rivals profile says he verballed to Ahia State in October, but that he has not signed anything. Either Rivals is way behind (which could be the case), or you are wrong.

Going with TJ on this one. Read 6 different articles purporting to explain the new rules and either I read them all wrong or they were all wrong.

So it's likely he either VERBALLED on Jan 4th OR (my personal guess) he did sign a LOI in December but asked for it to be kept quiet (for whatever reason) or maybe the coaches wanted to keep it quiet. Who knows?

But it seems highly unlikely he could sign a LOI on Jan 4th.

One of the interesting side stories to this new program is that if a kid signs but fails to qulaify, the kid still counts... school can't just go out and replace him like they could in the past with a JUCO in May.

And I now yield the floor to people who understand this far more than I do.

....and the entire board erupts... lol

The Rivals databases can be, and frequently are, out of date. So Teej may be correct. If he or someone else has some more up to date information, great. I was also wondering if either Smith or Oweh made some kind of announcement during the UA All Star game, as is frequently the case.

Signing period ended on Friday Dec. 22, so no one signed after that, which I am sure.

Oweh signed on Friday Dec 22 from what I understand and it was kept secret, so he could have his announcement moment. The secret was kept pretty well, but when it was announced he shut his recruitment down after Dec 22, it was pretty widely known he signed somewhere.

Smith I understand did something similar, but I haven't heard any other details on that side.

Maybe all these PSU commits should get an extra 0.1 on their score and become 5 or 6 star players?

Signing period ended on Friday Dec. 22, so no one signed after that, which I am sure.

Oweh signed on Friday Dec 22 from what I understand and it was kept secret, so he could have his announcement moment. The secret was kept pretty well, but when it was announced he shut his recruitment down after Dec 22, it was pretty widely known he signed somewhere.

Smith I understand did something similar, but I haven't heard any other details on that side.

TJ is right. Both are signed, sealed, and delivered. Both signed before the early signing period ended and asked each coaching staff to keep it quiet until after the All Star Games. Smith is off the board as far as we are concerned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT