ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Bus Tour to Columbus (1978)

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
I was clearing out my basement and came across an old flyer from Penn State Football Tours. They had a bus tour from State College to Columbus on September 15/16, 1978. This was what was included.

**Round trip bus transportation to Columbus via Greyhound and Fullington scenic cruisers with air-conditioning and a lavatory.
**Box lunch en route to Columbus, including snacks, sandwiches, fruit, beer, California wine, and soft drinks.
**1 night's accommodations at choice of Royal Inn or Ohio Stater Inn.
**Pre-game cocktail party with cash bar and buffet lunch.
**Round-trip transfer from hotel to game.
**Includes all taxes and gratuities.
(Apparently you had to provide your own game ticket.)

COST per person, double occupancy.
$65.00 at Royal Inn and $59.00 at Ohio Stater Inn

The cost for me to attend that game was even cheaper. My roommate and I split the cost to drive to Warren, Ohio and then my parents took care of the rest. Two of their 4 season tickets on the 40 yd. line in lower C deck, travel to the game, overnight accommodations and free meals. And the best part was the PSU win sitting in the middle of enemy territory, although in those days the OSU fans were much better behaved and very accommodating. Just gave us some good natured ribbing here and there.

Last edited:
I was clearing out my basement and came across an old flyer from Penn State Football Tours. They had a bus tour from State College to Columbus on September 15/16, 1978. This was what was included.

**Round trip bus transportation to Columbus via Greyhound and Fullington scenic cruisers with air-conditioning and a lavatory.
**Box lunch en route to Columbus, including snacks, sandwiches, fruit, beer, California wine, and soft drinks.
**1 night's accommodations at choice of Royal Inn or Ohio Stater Inn.
**Pre-game cocktail party with cash bar and buffet lunch.
**Round-trip transfer from hotel to game.
**Includes all taxes and gratuities.
(Apparently you had to provide your own game ticket.)

COST per person, double occupancy.
$65.00 at Royal Inn and $59.00 at Ohio Stater Inn

You should save that....not only for nostalgia, but because the game itself - shutout win over the Bucks, was just one of the more awesome games under Joe's tenure. If you can find someone from the 1978 game, perhaps he can autograph it for you. (Even Millen, if you can't find anyone else).

Reactions: fairgambit
You should save that....not only for nostalgia, but because the game itself - shutout win over the Bucks, was just one of the more awesome games under Joe's tenure. If you can find someone from the 1978 game, perhaps he can autograph it for you. (Even Millen, if you can't find anyone else).
Good idea. I actually traveled to the game from Pittsburgh by car. As I recall, I stayed 1 night outside Columbus. I am sure I have the program (and my ticket) somewhere. I need to dig it up.

Stayed in Circleville with my dorm mate. His brother went to OSU at the time. We sat in front of the OSU Student section and had various hot dogs, soft drinks, and popcorn tossed at us during the game. The 17-0 shutout was sweet and we drank for free on High St in Columbus all night due to the generosity of PSU alum. Needless to say, the drive back to Circleville was interesting!

Just for kicks and giggles, I ran a quick COL on what that same bus tour, staying at the Royal Inn, would cost in 2016 dollars.

So, the $65 value in 1978 would be $239 in 2016 dollars.

Just for kicks and giggles, I ran a quick COL on what that same bus tour, staying at the Royal Inn, would cost in 2016 dollars.

So, the $65 value in 1978 would be $239 in 2016 dollars.

That's not bad, but I suspect the cost, just for the Royal Inn today, is much higher on a football weekend.

Stayed in Circleville with my dorm mate. His brother went to OSU at the time. We sat in front of the OSU Student section and had various hot dogs, soft drinks, and popcorn tossed at us during the game. The 17-0 shutout was sweet and we drank for free on High St in Columbus all night due to the generosity of PSU alum. Needless to say, the drive back to Circleville was interesting!
Now if you went diving the next day at Twin Quarries, you'd have a perfect weekend!

Good idea. I actually traveled to the game from Pittsburgh by car. As I recall, I stayed 1 night outside Columbus. I am sure I have the program (and my ticket) somewhere. I need to dig it up.

Still got my program and have posted the cover in the past. Don't have the picture on my iPad otherwise I would post it right now.

Had a poolside room at the Marriott for$20.
It was the Bob Evans corporate rate
The ride home with honking horns on the interstate was almost as much fun as the game.

I think that win bumped up the Big 10's and particularly Ohio State fans' opinion of Penn State football.

I was a student at the time....remember goal posts at PSU being pulled down and paraded down Beaver Avenue...is this the only time this happened for an away game?

I was a student at the time....remember goal posts at PSU being pulled down and paraded down Beaver Avenue...is this the only time this happened for an away game?
If I recall, they did it after we beat ND at South Bend in 90 or 91 when we fell behind 21-0 early and clawed back to win on Fayak's FG with 30 some seconds left. Darren Perry got an interception after ND got the KO to seal it.

If I recall, they did it after we beat ND at South Bend in 90 or 91 when we fell behind 21-0 early and clawed back to win on Fayak's FG with 30 some seconds left. Darren Perry got an interception after ND got the KO to seal it.
It was 14-0 (and 21-7 at the half).....but 21-0 sounds better :) so lets stick with that!

...four of us drove from Bethlehem to attend that game...
...as I remember OSU had a very highly rated QB named Art Schlichter who later on had several problems with the law - gambling I think..
...OSU always broadcast the 1H game statistics over the P.A. System but omitted them at that game at halftime ...I don't think OSU made a 1st down until midway through the 3Q...!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT