ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Athletics Will Lose $100 Million — If No Fall Football — And Happy Valley Faces Disaster

No, of course not. But like I said, closer to zero than $160 million. I didn't say zero.

the school has a $5 billion budget and can absorb it for one season

I think you have it reversed.

If past policy holds, the school will have the Athletic Department borrow to fund the deficit. It will take years, or some serious financial restructuring, to pay that off.

Reactions: step.eng69
I think you have it reversed.

If past policy holds, the school will have the Athletic Department borrow to fund the deficit. It will take years, or some serious financial restructuring, to pay that off.

ok. so what? the athletic department is in reality part of the school, so it's all basically a shell game.

This would be interesting to some bean counter but not to a normal human

CBS Reports: Power 5 AD’s: ‘Inevitable’ 2020 College Football Season will not be played this fall according to 2 Power 5 AD’s — Neither would go on the record due to the sensitivity.

Penn State Athletics is staring at a $100 Million Dollar Loss for 2020 and the ripple effect to Happy Valley is Catastrophic for the State College Business Community.

In 2019, PSU Athletics spent ~$160 Million and at
best showed a profit of ~ $4 Million. That’s in Good Times. The Year of 2020 is a Disaster.

The Snowball effect will mean Layoffs (or worse) at Penn State.

Even if there is Spring Football it’s hard to imagine that football teams would play a 10 game schedule—not to mention that that it would be ~ an 8 Month Long Wait— I hope I’m wrong.

Financially, the State College Community is in dire shape. After COVED, Lockdown, a summer without all sports and activities, Arts Festivals, Sports Camps, Fairs and many other events — It’s difficult to be positive.

Stay tuned ...
If they only had Barron's new Art Museum open, all would be well. The hundreds of thousands of tourists drawn to the one of a kind facility would easily have offset the lost football revenue.

ok. so what? the athletic department is in reality part of the school, so it's all basically a shell game.

This would be interesting to some bean counter but not to a normal human

Except when the University can no longer say that "no tuition dollars or state go to running that Athletic Department." Ask the President and AD of Rutgers how much easier life would be if they didn't have to explain the department deficit to Trenton each year. It's not as if Fats has fun squeezing more dollars from Harrisburg.

Except when the University can no longer say that "no tuition dollars or state go to running that Athletic Department." Ask the President and AD of Rutgers how much easier life would be if they didn't have to explain the department deficit to Trenton each year. It's not as if Fats has fun squeezing more dollars from Harrisburg.

Well I thought that's why they came up with the entire loan-payback thing to begin with. They went down this road 8 years ago

Maybe this will have the lasting effect of stopping the absurd billion dollar rebuild of Beaver Stadium. Not sure that's bad

Well I thought that's why they came up with the entire loan-payback thing to begin with. They went down this road 8 years ago

Maybe this will have the lasting effect of stopping the absurd billion dollar rebuild of Beaver Stadium. Not sure that's bad

Cost structure was a lot smaller eight years ago.

Athletic Department had larger issues than this with financing its capital expenditure plans.

One would think that after the Sandusky near death experience, however unfair, that the whiz kids at PSU would have realized Happy Valley is a one horse show, and decide to diversify. Instead of attracting a business community it "invested" in foreign exchange students who paid full tuition and new housing for them. When we recover, I hope PSU returns to smaller, more Pennsylvania centric university.

so you criticize the school for not diversifying and then follow it with saying you hope it becomes even less diverse on the other side.

how exactly would you have liked to see the school and the rest of state college since happy valley is more than just diversify post Sandusky? The school is for all intents and purposes in the middle of nowhere. What business community do you think they were going to snap their fingers and attract. Also, seems more like a State College issue to tackle than the university’s unless you wanted that business community actually setting up on campus.

And I am fairly sure they are still honoring scholarships, so they also still have to be paid out.

Scholarships, salaries, leases & debt service, and overheads add up to $112mm. I'm sure some dollars could be knocked out of that, but as much or more could be added from numbers that I'm not including.

Cost structure was a lot smaller eight years ago.

Athletic Department had larger issues than this with financing its capital expenditure plans.

I say let it fail and start over. College sports became absurd over the last 20 years. A bubble that had to pop one day

And please ignore the politicians and close some branch campuses. It's beyond antiquated at this point

Denial is a coping mechanism — That gives you time to adjust to a Distressing Situation.

Why would we want Happy Valley to be financially Decimated? It’s illogical.

We want entrepreneurs like Sapia, Rallis, J.R., Lucchese and many others to be profitable downtown. That’s the student oriented business phase that many have enjoyed (within reason of course).

We need more Trickle Down Economics.

People complain that PSU competes with many local stores & small businesses— I agree with that assessment.

If You Are In Denial, You’re Trying To Protect Yourself By Refusing To Accept The Truth.

We Are all in this together.

No overt Negativity.

I’ll never forget when The Steel Mills shut down in Pittsburgh. Men crying, despondent wives and children too young to understand the gravity of the situation.

Never Again.

Penn State and The State College Are can overcome the business downswing — But, it’s going to take some time.

Ciao

Reactions: NC2017
I say let it fail and start over. College sports became absurd over the last 20 years. A bubble that had to pop one day

And please ignore the politicians and close some branch campuses. It's beyond antiquated at this point

With the people who got there in the first place?

Penn State needs to do eliminate fifteen, if not more, athletic programs. Any program that does not turn a profit or at very least breaks even, should be on chopping block. Nothing wrong with having those programs become club sports. Makes no sense having 27 sports programs of which 20 plus lose money.

Last edited:
Penn State needs to do eliminate fifteen, if not more, athletic programs. Any program that does not turn a profit or at very least breaks even, should be on chopping block. Nothing wrong with having those programs become club sports. Makes no sense having 27 sports programs of which 20 plus lose money.

You think that Barbour is going to work her way out of a job? Nah.

That would be all but 2 programs btw, but then you'd need to keep a bunch of women's programs due to title 9

Men's hockey. Wrestling runs one of the larger deficits, second only to WBB, which is by far the biggest suck at over $5mm p.a.

There is no way the school would ever drop WBB or wrestling, though. Things like tennis will get the axe when it hits the fan

Men's hockey. Wrestling runs one of the larger deficits, second only to WBB, which is by far the biggest suck at over $5mm p.a.

According to PSU's filings, Wrestling is #11th on the biggest loser list, not 2nd. They ran a deficit of $710k. Women's volleyball is #2

Great. Let's start w/ women's basketball and softball.

CBS Reports: Power 5 AD’s: ‘Inevitable’ 2020 College Football Season will not be played this fall according to 2 Power 5 AD’s — Neither would go on the record due to the sensitivity.

Penn State Athletics is staring at a $100 Million Dollar Loss for 2020 and the ripple effect to Happy Valley is Catastrophic for the State College Business Community.

best showed a profit of ~ $4 Million. That’s in Good Times. The Year of 2020 is a Disaster.

Even if there is Spring Football it’s hard to imagine that football teams would play a 10 game schedule—not to mention that that it would be ~ an 8 Month Long Wait— I hope I’m wrong.

Financially, the State College Community is in dire shape. After COVED, Lockdown, a summer without all sports and activities, Arts Festivals, Sports Camps, Fairs and many other events — It’s difficult to be positive.

Stay tuned ...

That still doesn't approach what PSU deliberately pissed away in their effort to smear Paterno and the football program.

Beware!
I bear more grudges —
Than lonely high court judges.
I will creep into your thoughts —
Like a bad debt —
That you can’t pay.
Take the easy way — and give in.
IT’’S WAR!

On my way to Scranton... and then back to Happy Valley — D-Day for the Students soon

Beware!
I bear more grudges —
Than lonely high court judges.
I will creep into your thoughts —
Like a bad debt —
That you can’t pay.
Take the easy way — and give in.
IT’’S WAR!

On my way to Scranton... and then back to Happy Valley — D-Day for the Students soon
Don't stop in Hazelton to take a leak. The cases have been blowing up there lately. ;)

Reactions: colt21
Player parents urge PSU, et all, to still have a season. Many feel kids are safer in the team "bubble" than at home.

EfBtnt9WAAMkXOk

"I just meant that Penn State should cut the sports I don't care about!"

Liability Rules These Days — Makes you wonder when in person classes at Penn State will be abolished.

I was optimistic that Pegula Arena’s opening on 8/17 would be a positive for the students, youth hockey, Men’s hockey and of course the Men’s and Women’s Varsity and Club Teams. Not feeling positive vibes much now.

Happy Valley Needs some Vibrant Positive Leadership— Or ...

Stay tuned ...

PSU lost $200m because of how they managed the Sandusky scandal. The BOT probably thinks what's another $100m?

Reactions: Frank Sheeran
The economic impact to State College is going to be many multiples of $100m.
Especially if they send the students home. PSU Football economic impact on the State of Pa is $200+ million! SC will limp to the end of the year if the governor doesn’t loosen his indoor meeting capacity of 25. The area can’t host youth tournaments at that level and many want to come to HV!

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT