ADVERTISEMENT

Pearl Harbor Remembrance

I vividly recall visiting the memorial visiting center and seeing oil still leaking to the surface back in '86 and what a somber place it was. At the same time, there was a Japanese tour taking place as ours and would have been interested in knowing if the re-telling of the events on that tour was any different than ours.

I vividly recall visiting the memorial visiting center and seeing oil still leaking to the surface back in '86 and what a somber place it was. At the same time, there was a Japanese tour taking place as ours and would have been interested in knowing if the re-telling of the events on that tour was any different than ours.
If you are ever on Oahu, I STRONGLY suggest you make the time to go. I had been to the island several times for work before I finally carved out time to go. Very educational and somber (in a good way).

If anyone is into Podcasts - Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is free on iTunes. Series names "Blueprint for Armageddon" is all about World Wars and any preceding events that led up to them. It's a great history lesson.

Reactions: NC2017
Yamamoto Pays Up.

yamamoto-barber960_640.jpg

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper

Somewhat lost on this day is the fact that the Japanese attack changed the German attack on the Soviet Union.
On Dec 7th, 1941, the Wehrmacht was about to take Leningrad on the road to Moscow as part of Operation Barbarossa. The Japanese attack allowed Stalin to pull his Eastern troops (no longer fearing an attack from Japan on the East) to the Western front, changing the course of the war.

Somewhat lost on this day is the fact that the Japanese attack changed the German attack on the Soviet Union.
On Dec 7th, 1941, the Wehrmacht was about to take Leningrad on the road to Moscow as part of Operation Barbarossa. The Japanese attack allowed Stalin to pull his Eastern troops (no longer fearing an attack from Japan on the East) to the Western front, changing the course of the war.
Fascinating. With a bit more coordination between Germany and Japan, “The Man In The High Castle” might be reality.

Apparently Hitler was so delusional that he thought the attack and his alliance with Japan would actually benefit him. He quickly declared war on the US, which sealed his fate.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
For what it's worth, the Soviets and Japanese had a non aggression treaty which was signed in the spring of 1941.

https://ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=199

Reactions: jrs1024
The number of Japanese surprised me as well when went there.

Reactions: psu00
The number of Japanese surprised me as well when went there.

Oahu has always been a huge vacation destination for the Japanese. The other Hawaiian Islands, not so much.

Was surprised the first time I visited the Arizona Memorial, probably 25% of the visitors were Japanese. During my second visit years later, probably a similar percentage. Both times they were as respectful as any other visitors.

For anyone going to Oahu, they should also visit Punchbowl crater in the hills above Pearl Harbor and the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.....the Pacific war’s “Normandy” cemetery. An incredibly thought-provoking experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00
The Pennsylvania, Nevada, California, Tennessee were all refloated, repaired and went on to fight in the Pacific

The Pennsylvania was in dry dock and not sunk. The Nevada got underway during the attack and grounded itself so as to not block the harbor entrance. The Maryland and Tennessee also both survived the attack safely with minor bomb damage. None of these ships suffered any torpedo damage.

The West Virginia and California were both sunk by torpedos.....were both raised and fought again.

The Oklahoma actually capsized very quickly (the WV and CA both sank but remained upright) because of numerous torpedo hits and after the Arizona suffered the most deaths by far in the attack, approx 450. The OK was righted in 1943, sold for scrap in 1946 and accidentally sunk at sea in a 1947 storm while being towed back to San Francisco.

The Pacific Fleet’s ninth battleship, the Colorado, was in Bremerton, WA on Dec 7.

Last edited:
I visited Pearl Harbor in the early 90s. It was a very somber and emotional experience.

I also had the good fortune to meet some of the surviving members of The Doolittle Tokyo Raiders. It’s my understanding that there’s only one living survivor of that mission.

If you’re not aware, it’s an incredible story and one worth keeping alive.

Here’s my experience with meeting them.

https://wanderingspectator.wordpress.com/2016/11/12/doolittle-toyko-raiders/

My infant grandson will remember the date...he was circumcised today...:eek:
Dec. 7th was my late father's birthday, many years before Pearl harbor was attacked. When I was in elementary school in the mid to late '50's and Pearl Harbor was being discussed, I would mention that Pearl Harbor was my dad's birthday. Usually the teacher would stop talking(I think they were doing the math) and give me a funny look. I just never said his birthday was the same year as Pearl Harbor...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT