ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Clifford offer of 50% off life time PSAA membership

I wonder how he's getting along after supposedly being harassed in his hotel. I feel bad for the guy. o_O

Reactions: Mary QBA
They should charge alums $20 for proof that shows they quit the association, disavowed any current affiliation, and are no longer on the membership rolls. There's another revenue stream to fund the tailgates.

Just received an email from Paul to take advantage of this special offer. Another opportunity to reply that I won't be giving funds until there are reforms and PSAA acts on behalf of alumni. Guess Rutgers security let him go.
I believe most of us are old enough to remember when "buying a lifetime PSU AA Membership" was just a default act.
It was - if nothing else - a "free" way to accumulate 10 points in the Nittany Lion Club, as part of the football season ticket process (at the same cost as 10 points in the NLC, by taking out a Life Membership, you got 10 points in the NLC PLUS your lifetime membership).

Now - all you get from a PSU AA membership........is membership in the PSU AA.....which means absolutely NOTHING.

Less than nothing, really, since "belonging" to that Association - as a Penn State Alumni - is akin to a Jew contributing to the Nazi Party (in concept, not in magnitude.....before some jackwagon PSU AA/BOT shill plays the "How can you compare this to the Holocaust" card :) )

How in the world any knowing PSU Alum - realizing that those funds are going to support obscenely paid shills like Clifford, and an organization controlled by BOT hacks like Steele, an organization that works in DIRECT OPPOSITION to the desires of the Alumni - could give a dime to that shameful entity is beyond me

I can't imagine a more distasteful way to spend funds, for any PSU Alum.

I believe most of us are old enough to remember when "buying a lifetime PSU AA Membership" was just a default act.
It was - if nothing else - a "free" way to accumulate 10 points in the Nittany Lion Club, as part of the football season ticket process (at the same cost as 10 points in the NLC, by taking out a Life Membership, you got 10 points in the NLC PLUS your lifetime membership).

Now - all you get from a PSU AA membership........is membership in the PSU AA.....which means absolutely NOTHING.

Less than nothing, really, since "belonging" to that Association - as a Penn State Alumni - is akin to a Jew contributing to the Nazi Party (in concept, not in magnitude.....before some jackwagon PSU AA/BOT shill plays the "How can you compare this to the Holocaust" card :) )

How in the world any knowing PSU Alum - realizing that those funds are going to support obscenely paid shills like Clifford, and an organization controlled by BOT hacks like Steele, an organization that works in DIRECT OPPOSITION to the desires of the Alumni - could give a dime to that shameful entity is beyond me

I can't imagine a more distasteful way to spend funds, for any PSU Alum.
I became a life member almost 30 years ago. I was obviously young and stupid.

Just received an email from Paul to take advantage of this special offer. Another opportunity to reply that I won't be giving funds until there are reforms and PSAA acts on behalf of alumni. Guess Rutgers security let him go.
More to bring into the fold to vote for "move on" candidates in the next BOT election. Low rate will likely attract new grads. BOT Nomination process coming up in January. PSU web site says nomination ballots coming out on January 15th. Cocco received quite a few votes last year, finishing #4 (top 3 were BOT incumbents). Recent grads likely to take advantage of this rate have little understanding of all that went on and the many mis-steps of the BOT. Alumni elected trustees have remained much more silent since Ira Lubert assumed the Chair role in July. Public comments sessions no longer live streamed per direction from Lubert. Not good. All the more reason to pay attention to this year's election.

http://www.psu.edu/trustees/

My wife and I have been married over 40 years. As one of her wedding gifts to me, my wife bought me a lifetime membership. When I received it, it was so thoughtful and unexpected, it almost brought me to tears of joy. Now, after 4 decades, it still nearly brings me to tears, but now they are tears of sadness over what this organization has become, and that people like Clifford have turned my wonderful wedding gift into something repugnant. My wife has suggested I renounce my membership, and I have seriously considered it, but I cannot bring myself to do it. I despise Clifford, and his ilk, for making me even contemplate it.

Last edited:
My wife and I have been married over 40 years. As one of her wedding gifts to me, my wife bought me a lifetime membership. When I received it, it was so thoughtful and unexpected, it almost brought me to tears of joy. Now, after 4 decades, it still nearly brings me to tears, but now they are tears of sadness over what this organization has become, and that people like Clifford have turned my wonderful wedding gift into something repugnant. My wife has suggested I renounce my membership, and I have seriously considered it, but I cannot bring myself to do it.
They won't let you anyway. They'll take your resignation, but won't take you off their membership rolls.

They won't let you anyway. They'll take your resignation, but won't take you off their membership rolls.
True. I have confirmed that. Had I decided to renounce, as an attorney I also seriously considered legal action to force them to remove my name. I felt that the effort would bring national attention to the issue and the joke that this organization has become. It may happen yet.

I became a life member almost 30 years ago. I was obviously young and stupid.
Yeah, but you wised up considerably. Unfortunately, it is now too late. They are claiming you as a dedicated lifetime member no matter what. LOL...

That's pathetic and embarrassing.

I'm not gonna wait in line for then privilege of throwing away what I assume is 150 USD. If they let me do it online, that is a fair price.

Otherwise they can GTFO lol

Seems as though they were accused of videoing the RU walk thru. Their security wasn't happy, as the offense was going thru both of their pass plays.

Seems as though they were accused of videoing the RU walk thru. Their security wasn't happy, as the offense was going thru both of their pass plays.
They had pass plays? I thought those were fumble recoveries where the ball popped up.

Reactions: Chris92
I wonder if the Penn State Alumni Association has done a cost-benefit analysis versus peer institutions.

I wonder if the Penn State Alumni Association has done a cost-benefit analysis versus peer institutions.
I hate that philosophy. The university has used it in the past for a number of different things. It's based on the assumption peer institutions have all the answers then saying, "Our goal is to be like everyone else". Be bold. Be innovative. Look for a plan which works best given what our strengths are. Our leadership blows.

Last edited:
I hate that philosophy. The university has used it in the past for a number of different things. It's based on the assumption peer institutions have all the answers then saying, "Our goal is to be like everyone else". Be bold. Be innovative. Look for a plan which works best given what out strengths are. Our leadership blows.

Paul Clifford stole this Cyber Monday idea from Oregon. It isn't original to Penn State. It was done at Oregon starting the year before he joined their Alumni Association. So...

I hate that philosophy. The university has used it in the past for a number of different things. It's based on the assumption peer institutions have all the answers then saying, "Our goal is to be like everyone else". Be bold. Be innovative. Look for a plan which works best given what our strengths are. Our leadership blows.
OTOH, you shouldn't rule out something just because everyone else does it. Sometimes it is the best course of action. Plus, any good business should be aware of what everyone else is doing, whether you choose to go that route or not.

Half off a life membership...sounds like you're agreeing to die at 39.

That's exactly what I thought!

So a life time membership has now been discounted to $350, and anyone who pays full price going forward is overpaying. Everyone should just wait for the third week of November to join. How is Trustee Kay Salvino suppose to afford the PSAA box at Beaver Stadium?

Gosh, I guess Paul Clifford took a lot of heat for this chart that was distributed at the last Alumni Council meeting showing membership plunging. Anecdotally a family told me that after their grandfather passed away they've been trying to get PSAA to declare him dead, but he's still on the books. FairGambit, if you're serious about starting an action to legally disassociate yourself with the Alumni Association let me know, I can hook you up with some like-minded Lifers.

Oct2016-AC-meeting.jpg

My simple question is, how does Penn State charging $750 for a lifetime membership (regular price) and offering x, y, and z to its members compare to what peer institutions charge and offer? I think that's important. Once that analysis is done, Penn State could be innovative with its offering, if they aren't already. Does Penn State offer value to its alumni and do they adequately communicate that value?

That's exactly what I thought!

So a life time membership has now been discounted to $350, and anyone who pays full price going forward is overpaying. Everyone should just wait for the third week of November to join. How is Trustee Kay Salvino suppose to afford the PSAA box at Beaver Stadium?

Gosh, I guess Paul Clifford took a lot of heat for this chart that was distributed at the last Alumni Council meeting showing membership plunging. Anecdotally a family told me that after their grandfather passed away they've been trying to get PSAA to declare him dead, but he's still on the books. FairGambit, if you're serious about starting an action to legally disassociate yourself with the Alumni Association let me know, I can hook you up with some like-minded Lifers.

Oct2016-AC-meeting.jpg
$350 is still a lot of money to pay in exchange for only receiving a lifetime subscription to the Penn Stater Propaganda Publication.

P.S. Im not surprised by your discovery that "dead people are still on the PSUAA rolls". It has been my suspicion for a few years. It wouldn't surprise me if as many as 25% of the "blue bar" in your chart has "moved on" to a "better place".

Reactions: Mary QBA
Gosh, I guess Paul Clifford took a lot of heat for this chart that was distributed at the last Alumni Council meeting showing membership plunging.

This should reflect very poorly on Mr. Clifford given the Alumni Association saw growth year after year after year until he came on board. There is a reason why this is a first time discount. It wasn't needed until he was appointed "Grand Poohbah" and ran the membership program into the ground. After all, he is actually quoted saying, "Is membership our most important metric?" And all he is going to do with this inane ploy is cannibalize the number of annual members. Since the offer is not at all membership levels, he won't bring on many new members, instead, current annual members will convert to life members at a deep discount. Sharpest tack in the box he is not.

Last edited:
They still do not get the fact that the reason people are not joining is not price ..... it is lack of transparency and accountability . Beginning with what they did denouncing Joe and continue to do ... deplorable unacceptable behavior for years. And no signs of change..WE the alumni really mean nothing to them except money....

They still do not get the fact that the reason people are not joining is not price ..... it is lack of transparency and accountability . Beginning with what they did denouncing Joe and continue to do ... deplorable unacceptable behavior for years. And no signs of change..WE the alumni really mean nothing to them except money....
You might be being a bit myopic on this one. I would argue that most (not all) of the people who would be inclined to not join because of how Joe was treated are already members of the alumni association.

The target audience for this promotion is probably recent grads, the group with the least connection to Joe. In fact, assuming the 4 year plan, last year's graduates and this year's seniors never saw Joe coach while they were in school. That doesn't mean some weren't Penn State football fans before that, but sometimes as alumni we forget many students bonded and became fans during college--especially as the university seems to be taking more out of state students.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT