ADVERTISEMENT

Pats Steaks to open in State College

Being from Pittsburgh, I'm not familiar with Philadelphia's 2 "famous" cheesesteak places.

Which is better? How are they different? In the Pittsburgh area, my favorite is "Veltre's", which has a number of locations. Veltre's uses top quality chipped sirloin, top quality provolone, and Mancini buns.

Out here in Chicago area we have to settle for Jersey Mikes’s, pretty good cheese steak with white American cheese like
I was brought up on in Delco . Only issue is the rolls aren’t quite crispy like Amaroso’s (sp).

One difference is the way they handle the meat. At PAt's, if memory serves correctly, they chop the steak as it cooks. At Geno's, they cook the stead without chopping.

Reactions: Sullivan
Have eaten cheesesteaks in many locations, don't even remember the name of most.

Jersey Mike's - good but they don't dress it with a red sauce.
CC Peppers - very good, IMHO. Always order with extra meat. Yummy.
Pat's & Geno's - have enjoyed both.

If with someone, we have a cheesesteak at Pat's and share. Go across to Geno's get a cheesesteak and share it. Enjoy both. With food it is not a question of which is better, both and be good in their own way.

Being from Pittsburgh, I'm not familiar with Philadelphia's 2 "famous" cheesesteak places.

Which is better? How are they different? In the Pittsburgh area, my favorite is "Veltre's", which has a number of locations. Veltre's uses top quality chipped sirloin, top quality provolone, and Mancini buns.
They both suck

Reactions: pennstatepelly

Who remembers Sophies back in 1990"s. They had a food truck near the Penn campus.

What ever happened to them?

Last edited:
Got to be going in somewhere dwntwn but there is so much vacant space and especially if Highway is going out of business as they've been closed for a while now. Hope it goes in above Doggie's.

One difference is the way they handle the meat. At PAt's, if memory serves correctly, they chop the steak as it cooks. At Geno's, they cook the stead without chopping.

Was at Pat's a couple of months ago.....I think you have it backwards.

Reactions: psu1969a
Hard pass on the famous cheesesteak places in Philly. They are for tourists. Trust me, you want John’s Roast Pork or Tommy Dinic in the Reading Terminal Market.

try Angelo's near the Italian Market.....the roll from Sarcone's (a couple of doors down) is the best I ever had in my life!

Those two places are tourist traps and not good. There are much better place some in the Philly burbs!

I went to Pat and Geno split 1/2 of each with wife. Had better cheese steaks other places.

• Wow
Reactions: psu1969a
If you do go, you need to keep your head on a swivel. There have been multiple murders there as well as endless fights. My favorite story is when a wrestler from Conestoga went down to either Pats or Genos, and somehow a verbal encounter started between him and one of the cooks. The staff can be quite aggressive. The cook came outside to fight him,, and the Stoga kid picked him up and piledrove him into the ground. Much better steaks in Delco.

Last edited:
If you do go, you need to keep your head on a swivel. There have been multiple murders there as well as endless flights. My favorite story is when a wrestler from Conestoga went down to either Pats or Genos, and somehow a verbal encounter started between him and one of the cooks. The staff can be quite aggressive. The cook came outside to fight him,, and the Stoga kid picked him up and piledrove him into the ground. Much better steaks in Delco.
And also in Montgomery County

Too Damn High Rent GIF

Out here in Chicago area we have to settle for Jersey Mikes’s, pretty good cheese steak with white American cheese like
I was brought up on in Delco . Only issue is the rolls aren’t quite crispy like Amaroso’s (sp).

Monti's in Lincoln Square is very good. I think I know what I'm having for dinner.

If you do go, you need to keep your head on a swivel. There have been multiple murders there as well as endless fights. My favorite story is when a wrestler from Conestoga went down to either Pats or Genos, and somehow a verbal encounter started between him and one of the cooks. The staff can be quite aggressive. The cook came outside to fight him,, and the Stoga kid picked him up and piledrove him into the ground. Much better steaks in Delco.
Yup, I've been telling people that for years! Last conf in Philly I was at with co-workers all wanted me to take them to the best place in the city for a cheesesteak as they were from Princeton NJ area. I told them that I didn't really think the steaks in the city were that great, Yes, there are a a few exception, but the best are in the burbs, mainly Delco. There is a guy close to me in Broomall that makes some good ones, Alfredos on Rt 3.

Pats announced yesterday that they won’t be coming to State College. No real specific reason mentioned.
Couldn’t negotiate a decent lease is my guess. Why do you think there are so many empty store fronts in Dwntwn SC?

The rental rates are insane and the market is primarily students. Businesses are fleeing! Leadership has no clue how to handle. Party politics are part of it.

Remember the recent eminent domain embarrassment?

Unfortunately the Borough is complicit in creating this mess. Heck they paid thousands to have a bloody consultant tell them how to create a town that adults/locals would want to visit… the biggest takeaway was hire someone to encourage businesses from other areas to come to SC. What?

Brutal but such is life with the leadership in the HV! Create more committees, hire more consultants, and get nothing done! Chamber is doing the same thing. The number of county orgs, committees, and special interest groups are endless in a county of 150k and student body of 50k!

Couldn’t negotiate a decent lease is my guess. Why do you think there are so many empty store fronts in Dwntwn SC?

The rental rates are insane and the market is primarily students. Businesses are fleeing! Leadership has no clue how to handle. Party politics are part of it.

Remember the recent eminent domain embarrassment?

Unfortunately the Borough is complicit in creating this mess. Heck they paid thousands to have a bloody consultant tell them how to create a town that adults/locals would want to visit… the biggest takeaway was hire someone to encourage businesses from other areas to come to SC. What?

Brutal but such is life with the leadership in the HV! Create more committees, hire more consultants, and get nothing done! Chamber is doing the same thing. The number of county orgs, committees, and special interest groups are endless in a county of 150k and student body of 50k!

It's almost like they are trying to cripple certain businesses so they can scoop up some prime real-estate at reduced prices. Nah, can't be that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT