ADVERTISEMENT

Patriot fan dies after fight at game

psu00

Jan 4, 2010
Apparently there was a fight in the stands late in the game Sunday night. A Dolphins fan punched a Pats fan 3 times, he collapsed, and died. Security was separating people as medics were doing CPR. Don’t know how things can get so out of hand at a game.

Reactions: IANit
The person that threw the punches just ruined several people's lives. The reality of it hasn't even set in for them. They are likely in some state of denial still

Apparently there was a fight in the stands late in the game Sunday night. A Dolphins fan punched a Pats fan 3 times, he collapsed, and died. Security was separating people as medics were doing CPR. Don’t know how things can get so out of hand at a game.

ALCOHOL!

It's amazing how dumb these guys are, not necessarily this particular victim, but every weekend you see these bloody fights in the stands between opposing babies. Yes, alcohol plays a major factor, plus a critical lack of perspective. These jerseys of these teams they wear, the Owner, the Gm's, the players.....all rich and totally disloyal to the cities and the jerseys these drunks bloody up every weekend. The players, coaches, even the franchises(!) just pick up and move if there is a better offer somewhere else and these animals in the stands fight like any of it matters at all. Pathetic.

It's really pathetic that SOME people are like this when it comes to sports - what a sad life they must have that they feel the need to get into fights at sporting events - I won't take my kids to Eagles games because of the obnoxious behavior I have seen there - PSU yes and I have seen a few incidents at PSU but nothing compared to the pro games and no it isn't just a Philly thing - people are killed at Dodgers games - insane.

It's amazing how dumb these guys are, not necessarily this particular victim, but every weekend you see these bloody fights in the stands between opposing babies. Yes, alcohol plays a major factor, plus a critical lack of perspective. These jerseys of these teams they wear, the Owner, the Gm's, the players.....all rich and totally disloyal to the cities and the jerseys these drunks bloody up every weekend. The players, coaches, even the franchises(!) just pick up and move if there is a better offer somewhere else and these animals in the stands fight like any of it matters at all. Pathetic.
The fact that they’re grown men wearing jerseys gives you some idea of what we’re dealing with. “Die hard” pro football fans are some of the worst fans in the world, right up there with “die hard” soccer fans. It’s a game.

Reason we stopped going to Eagles game, used to be a Sunday outing for the family, no more.

Reactions: voltz99 and bison13
…… and no it isn't just a Philly thing - people are killed at Dodgers games - insane.
Yeah, I’ve seen way more reports of serious fights and deaths at various LA/ San Fran games but it’s just passed off with a story that quickly dies. If it was in Philly it’d be leading Sportscenter, mentioned on every sports talk radio show, and mentioned at the next weeks games. 😳

Reactions: bison13 and WaylonJ
When at any game that has security; if you're being harassed the only thing you need to do is tell security and the other people will be thrown out of the stadium. It doesn't matter if you're a home or visiting fan. If you report it they'll handle it quickly. It's really a simple process.

Reactions: NedFromYork
If he threw the first punch, wasn’t defending himself from bodily harm, he’ll spend most of the rest of his life in jail

As more information comes out, it would seem the victim showed fatally bad judgment as he waded into a row of Dolphin fans and escalated what had apparently been verbal taunting into a physical altercation. I'm sure alcohol played a part.

Grown-ups with the maturity level of 10-year olds. A lot of that going around these days:

Reactions: psu00 and bison13
As more information comes out, it would seem the victim showed fatally bad judgment as he waded into a row of Dolphin fans and escalated what had apparently been verbal taunting into a physical altercation. I'm sure alcohol played a part.

Grown-ups with the maturity level of 10-year olds. A lot of that going around these days:

Three points.
  1. First this is one of the many reasons why I don't drink. Nothing good comes of drinking.
  2. Because one person is wrong it doesn't make the other right. Often these situations come about because both parties are wrong
  3. Last, in the eyes of the law, whoever got physical first loses. Law vary. In some places a closed fist is the determination. In others a simple intent to do physical harm.

I am sure the defense will say they were defending themselves and it will be a matter of video and other witnesses. Regardless, even the charge has substantial punishment in terms of time, careers and money.

This is a reason why I don't attend NFL games and have no desire to. The crowds are replete with hooligans and aholes. While you'll get this at PSU games, the numbers (so far) have been far lower.

When at any game that has security; if you're being harassed the only thing you need to do is tell security and the other people will be thrown out of the stadium. It doesn't matter if you're a home or visiting fan. If you report it they'll handle it quickly. It's really a simple process.
I've seen mixed results with that answer over the years of going to 100+games. Looks good on paper. A lot of incidents like this happen quickly in the stands and last less than a minute.

I've seen mixed results with that answer over the years of going to 100+games. Looks good on paper. A lot of incidents like this happen quickly in the stands and last less than a minute.
Agreed. and a lot of stadium security are as bad or worse than the fans. by that I mean untrained and clueless. Some are great, of course. But it is a crap shoot. I was at CLE stadium several years ago and a guy called security because the person next to him and his son was smoking weed. Security comes down and tells the dude he can't smoke in the stadium. The guy says "ok, I'll just finish it" and hammers it down. Except for a short time when he offers some to the security guy who takes a quick hit before passing it back to the fan. My personal case was a guy launching F - bombs next to me and my young son at the refs and team. I asked him to watch his language and he said ok and made no modifications at all. I called for security and they told him the same. He continued. Security came down to talk to him three times. The last time threatened to throw him out. They finally gave up and the guy yelled F bombs the entire game.

It's almost always taunting over a long period of time, relatively speaking, then it boils up quickly. You need to notify security during the taunting stage.

Three points.
  1. First this is one of the many reasons why I don't drink. Nothing good comes of drinking.
  2. Because one person is wrong it doesn't make the other right. Often these situations come about because both parties are wrong
  3. Last, in the eyes of the law, whoever got physical first loses. Law vary. In some places a closed fist is the determination. In others a simple intent to do physical harm.

I am sure the defense will say they were defending themselves and it will be a matter of video and other witnesses. Regardless, even the charge has substantial punishment in terms of time, careers and money.

This is a reason why I don't attend NFL games and have no desire to. The crowds are replete with hooligans and aholes. While you'll get this at PSU games, the numbers (so far) have been far lower.

All good points.

I would anticipate that the guy who threw the punch will be charged...but not with murder. Manslaughter maybe?

Of course, if it's a question of who got physical first, then the punch-thrower will no doubt claim it was the guy who waded into the row, which could reasonably be taken as a physical threat.

So a couple wild punches are thrown, and one connects to end a life -- an outcome that was not intended. One guy ends up dead and another has his life ruined. Insane.

It's almost always taunting over a long period of time, relatively speaking, then it boils up quickly. You need to notify security during the taunting stage.
Not always the case in my experience. One instance i watched a security guard come down and warn people next to me twice to chill out. After the guard walked back up the stairs, punches were thrown back and forth for a good 30 seconds. I saw an extremely bloody mouth and what looked like a woman with a broken arm after being pushed down on the rows below her.

Years ago a man in his 50s sat in a row in front of me with his elderly mother. She couldn't stand up to watch the game, but the 3 college kids in front of them wouldn't sit down ever throughout the game. The man in his 50s asked politely 2 times if they could atleast sit down while their team(Iowa) was on offense. They declined. Everything was completely calm and the man in his 50s tried a another time. This time one of the college kids spazzed out, turned around and started throwing haymakers at him. Not good! There was no need for any security up until that point.

Some of the incidents in stands are easy to see somethings going to happen, and security should be called and hopefully they do something.

Last edited:
All good points.

I would anticipate that the guy who threw the punch will be charged...but not with murder. Manslaughter maybe?

Of course, if it's a question of who got physical first, then the punch-thrower will no doubt claim it was the guy who waded into the row, which could reasonably be taken as a physical threat.

So a couple wild punches are thrown, and one connects to end a life -- an outcome that was not intended. One guy ends up dead and another has his life ruined. Insane.
Right. My only comment is "wading into the row" isn't a threat to one's safety. Even if he was launching F-bombs while doing so. Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me and all that. In many cases, even an open-handed slap is considered to be non-threatening but a closed fist is a done deal.

yeah, there was no intent to kill but a death resulting in criminal activity (assault) will get you some degree of a manslaughter conviction. Having said all of that, there is a story in today's news where a loon judge let a guy go with no bail after being caught with 20 lbs of fentanyl and he didn't show up for his hearing. The courts are now replete with loons so its a free for all.

Right. My only comment is "wading into the row" isn't a threat to one's safety. Even if he was launching F-bombs while doing so. Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me and all that. In many cases, even an open-handed slap is considered to be non-threatening but a closed fist is a done deal.

yeah, there was no intent to kill but a death resulting in criminal activity (assault) will get you some degree of a manslaughter conviction. Having said all of that, there is a story in today's news where a loon judge let a guy go with no bail after being caught with 20 lbs of fentanyl and he didn't show up for his hearing. The courts are now replete with loons so its a free for all.

Apparently the police have various footage of the incident, shot from various angles.

There had been verbal taunting. The angry victim waded into a row of Dolphin fans.

There was a "physical struggle" as the victim wrestled with one of the Dolphin fans who punched the victim.

The victim was then put into a headlock, and two other apparent Dolphin fans then landed punches of their own on the victim.

The third punch was square in the victim's face, knocking him to the ground and leaving him unresponsive. He never regained consciousness.

All in all, I'd advise those three Dolphin fans to contact criminal defense lawyers.

Reactions: Obliviax
New update- looks like he may have died from a medical issue and not the punch but they’re still investigating.

Interesting...it just means he didn't die directly of the punches. By that I mean he didn't sustain brain or organ injuries directly. that makes the case a little more difficult. But it wasn't a coincidence that they guy had a heart attack or stroke while being beaten.

Reactions: psu00
Agreed. and a lot of stadium security are as bad or worse than the fans. by that I mean untrained and clueless. Some are great, of course. But it is a crap shoot. I was at CLE stadium several years ago and a guy called security because the person next to him and his son was smoking weed. Security comes down and tells the dude he can't smoke in the stadium. The guy says "ok, I'll just finish it" and hammers it down. Except for a short time when he offers some to the security guy who takes a quick hit before passing it back to the fan. My personal case was a guy launching F - bombs next to me and my young son at the refs and team. I asked him to watch his language and he said ok and made no modifications at all. I called for security and they told him the same. He continued. Security came down to talk to him three times. The last time threatened to throw him out. They finally gave up and the guy yelled F bombs the entire game.

Security is a joke at most events. You are on your own.

Most people confuse event staff with security. Event staff are typically 80 yr old retirees working as ushers. Security on the other hand are nowhere to be found until after the fact.

If any teams or cities actually wanted to improve security then have a half dozen cops dress up in opposing fans gear. You can weed out the trouble makers in no time. Step two would be to cancel the season tix of trouble makers.

I doubt the teams or the cities really care. THey make too much money and dont want to make changes.

If any teams or cities actually wanted to improve security then have a half dozen cops dress up in opposing fans gear. You can weed out the trouble makers in no time. Step two would be to cancel the season tix of trouble makers.

I doubt the teams or the cities really care. THey make too much money and dont want to make changes.
I feel llke the NFL is penny wise and pound foolish. They don't want to lose the money from these fans but more peopel, in my estimation, don't go as a result. I know CLE and several others have implemented family zones but that doesn't help when you go to the restroom, get food of entering/leaving the stadium.

I feel llke the NFL is penny wise and pound foolish. They don't want to lose the money from these fans but more peopel, in my estimation, don't go as a result. I know CLE and several others have implemented family zones but that doesn't help when you go to the restroom, get food of entering/leaving the stadium.

True. Lots of people no longer go to Eagles games because of it.

Actually people are now avoiding cities as a whole. I was in center city PHila recently and it was tough to find a place to eat after 9pm. Everything was closed.
City leaders wanted to defund the police while they were increasing their own security. What did they expect?

Catch and release + tons of homeless + decriminalizing drugs + less cops = higher crime.

Reactions: psu00
I had PATS season tickets for 30 years in section 328. I haven’t attended a game for 10 years. Last time I was at a game of fight broke out about 10 rows behind me in beer bottles were flying everywhere my friend and I got soaked. I rarely attended games because I usually gave tickets to customers of mine as a gift.
Typical professional football fan at the stadium is a male between early 20s and perhaps 40 years old they drink and act like idiots.
I have attended approximately 150 Penn State games and occasionally see your minor incident. Give me the college shift is fear anytime over the pro mentality.

Reactions: psu00 and Obliviax
I had PATS season tickets for 30 years in section 328. I haven’t attended a game for 10 years. Last time I was at a game of fight broke out about 10 rows behind me in beer bottles were flying everywhere my friend and I got soaked. I rarely attended games because I usually gave tickets to customers of mine as a gift.
Typical professional football fan at the stadium is a male between early 20s and perhaps 40 years old they drink and act like idiots.
I have attended approximately 150 Penn State games and occasionally see your minor incident. Give me the college shift is fear anytime over the pro mentality.
there was an article, a long time ago, about the worst fans of the NFL. They cited the Pats fans back when the old stadium had hope bleachers (meaning, you could see to the ground through the risers). Apparently, a guy had a heart attack under the stands and several fans peed on the paramedics trying to give the person CPR. I have no idea if this is true. But I've seen issues at the Browns games, and have heard about Steelers games, that are pretty despicable.

The big issue is the drunks. People start drinking at 8 am. Why open the lots up so early? It does not increase revenue for the teams. It increases crime and litter at the stadium. It might even decrease revenue. If people are eating and drinking all day they dont need to spend in the stadium.

If a city/venue has problems then they should restrict how early people can get to the game.

Interesting...it just means he didn't die directly of the punches. By that I mean he didn't sustain brain or organ injuries directly. that makes the case a little more difficult. But it wasn't a coincidence that they guy had a heart attack or stroke while being beaten.
I don't really have a lot of sympathy for the guy. He entered into the altercation. He is a 50-year-old man being baited into a fight about pro football.

You know the old Sticks and Stones.

I don't really have a lot of sympathy for the guy. He entered into the altercation. He is a 50-year-old man being baited into a fight about pro football.

You know the old Sticks and Stones.
maybe....just speaking about the law.

Regardless, I do have a problem with a bunch of people thinking it is OK to elevate this to the point where someone died. Yep, the 50 year old included.

As stated on other threads, just because one party is wrong it doesn't mean the other is right. I posted this in the Mel Tucker Sparty thread. A POX on all of their houses. Why would a bunch of young guys think it is OK to punch a guy in the face when he's being held in a headlock?

If any teams or cities actually wanted to improve security then have a half dozen cops dress up in opposing fans gear.
Can you imagine a "police officer" wearing Black and Gold Iowa gear trying to arrest someone? He would have to call for backup quickly.. 😉

Can you imagine a "police officer" wearing Black and Gold Iowa gear trying to arrest someone? He would have to call for backup quickly.. 😉

Obviously. Under covers don't work alone.

Are there not hundreds of uniformed cops at a game?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT