ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Forde on Kevin Warren: "Nebraska? Who cares. But dissent from Ohio St & Penn State is an issue"

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001

After a Difficult Decision, Kevin Warren Left to Confront Growing Big Ten Discord

The discontent that has bubbled up in the heart of the conference is a front-burner issue for the rookie commissioner.

PAT FORDE 1 HOUR AGO

Kevin Warren inherited an expansion problem. Then he was handed a pandemic problem. Now he has a unity problem.

The Big Ten Conference commissioner’s first year on the job has basically been an exercise in juggling chain saws while log rolling with a dog biting his leg. He arrived from the NFL, where almost all of the executive infighting is exactly that—kept in-house. Here, in his eighth month leading America’s oldest and wealthiest college conference, Warren has emerged from making a monumentally difficult decision to cancel fall sports, only to find that his membership has not closed ranks behind him.

The politicians fired and fell back. It’s the griping Big Ten coaches’ crabathon that continues. They were all over social media Sunday and Monday, fuming on a league Zoom call Monday night, spouting unhappy statements Tuesday … and some of them were still going Wednesday.

Nebraska has complained at top volume, popping off about trying to play football in the fall outside the Big Ten. Ohio State coach Ryan Day said Wednesday that his program is “still exploring options” to play in the fall, noting that the school is looking into the same things “Nebraska has asked about.” In response to a question about still playing this fall, Penn State coach James Franklin told ESPN Wednesday, “I have a responsibility to my players and their families to exhaust every opportunity and option that’s out there.”

Lingering anger is one thing—you can live with some short-term dissent after a bitterly disappointing decision. On Big Ten Network Tuesday, Warren didn’t even attempt to spin the membership’s response to the cancellation of fall sports as a unanimous decision—it would have been useless, given how public the lobbying had been.

Threatened mutiny (however unlikely) is something else. Especially when it involves coaches of what were supposed to be the top two teams in the conference this fall, and perhaps for the foreseeable future. And after a night to sleep off the disappointment and anger.

That’s something in need of being addressed behind the scenes.

Nebraska’s carping falls in the category of Unwarranted Entitlement. Like, who cares what Nebraska thinks? You’re unhappy making $54 million in media rights as the ninth-best football program in a 14-team conference? Please, go. Pack up your John Deere and hit the farm roads out of here.

The Cornhuskers were the first of Jim Delany’s three bad expansion grabs. Since leaving the Big 12 in a huff in 2011, feeling disrespected by domineering Texas, Nebraska has been a dud of an addition everywhere but the turnstiles.

The Huskers won a divisional title in 2012 and promptly gave up 70 points to Wisconsin in the Big Ten championship game—and that was the high point of their league membership. It’s been downhill ever since. In the last five seasons, Nebraska has had four losing seasons and owns an 18–26 conference record. The school paid Scott Frost $5 million a year to rescue his alma mater, and thus far he’s 9–15, producing the first consecutive losing seasons under the same coach since 1960–61.

Adding Nebraska was like buying stock in newspapers 10 years after the Internet went mainstream. It was a backward-thinking decision, grabbing a program on the downside of a run that will be supremely difficult to approximate ever again, given the natural recruiting territory.

Delany’s two later additions have been even worse at football, of course. Rutgers is 4–40 the past five years in conference games, Maryland 10–34. There was a football probation at Rutgers and, far worse, the death of a player at Maryland. But, hey, the TV markets!

The hire of Greg Schiano may give the Scarlet Knights a chance to reach respectability. Second-year coach Mike Locksley is recruiting well for the Terrapins. Maybe the Eastern Seaboard experiment can still be salvaged.

As much as the Rutgers-Maryland expansion was panned as a departure from the Big Ten’s Midwest roots, those schools both are closer to an established conference member than Nebraska is: Rutgers is 227 miles from Penn State, and Maryland is 197 miles away; it’s 300 miles from Lincoln to Iowa City.

So this is the Big Ten that Warren walked into—weak on the Eastern and Western flanks. But that’s an inherited structural problem. What happened Tuesday and Wednesday, with the discontent that has bubbled up in the heart of the league, is a front-burner issue.

Ohio State has been the kingpin of the conference in football ever since Urban Meyer arrived, and Day has extended that reign. Heading into this season, the consensus top-three in the nation was Clemson, the Southeastern Conference champion and the Buckeyes. The closest pursuer is Penn State, coming off an 11–2 season and (pre-pandemic) looking like a potential top-five team in America.

Those aren’t really the programs a new commissioner would want publicly undermining his authority or casting a wandering eye.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith, one of the most important voices in the Big Ten, abandoned any notion Day may have of trying to go rogue and play this fall. There will be no breakaway from the Buckeyes. But he was public in his disappointment with the league’s postponement until spring, saying he would have preferred to delay that decision.

The natural question is whether some in the league are testing Warren the way they would a new teacher, just to find out where the boundaries will be. Through length of tenure, force of personality and increase of revenue, Delany had the respect of the Big Ten membership. By all accounts, he was not afraid to drop the hammer behind the scenes when he felt it was necessary.

Warren, thus far, has been athlete-focused in most of his public remarks. That’s perfectly laudable. You wonder how much he’s even had a chance to build relationships and establish respect from school administrators, given the upheaval that has gripped college sports since his third month on the job.

It might be time to play catch-up in that area, while quickly laying the groundwork for a spring football season of some sort. The Big Ten and its unlucky rookie commissioner can only move forward from the current dissension when there is a plan for how to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU and BBrown
We could really destroy this guy, and the big 10 if we lead the charge and play this fall. Instead we’ll do what we always do and acquiesce to whatever we’re told to do.

Who would Penn State play? WhI would cover their travel expenses? Who would handle the logistics? Who would pay the stadium staff and referees? Who would manage the stadiums they play in? Who would finance them? Who would cover their medical?

abd it ain’t gonna be Lt Weinberg.

We could really destroy this guy, and the big 10 if we lead the charge and play this fall. Instead we’ll do what we always do and acquiesce to whatever we’re told to do.
And the athletic department can show you 54 million reasons why they’ll acquiesce.

Reactions: PSU&Trout
Who would Penn State play? WhI would cover their travel expenses? Who would handle the logistics? Who would pay the stadium staff and referees? Who would manage the stadiums they play in? Who would finance them? Who would cover their medical?

All they need is 22 kids and a ball. Easy, peasy, Japanesey. :eek:

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
And the athletic department can show you 54 million reasons why they’ll acquiesce.
I don’t think they will get any of that money this year anyway since there are no games....so not really a part of the discussion here. Unless you believe btn will payout despite no product to show. Seems unlikely

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
Guess Forde isn’t planning on visiting Nebraska any time soon. Ouch!

Reactions: psu00
I don’t think they will get any of that money this year anyway since there are no games....so not really a part of the discussion here. Unless you believe btn will payout despite no product to show. Seems unlikely

Any? There might be some conference revenue sharing, but it won't be anywhere near $50mm+. Of the TV networks, BTN will pay something for the dreck it regularly regurgitates. How much is difficult to say.. Heck, the conference will get a chunk of change if there is a playoff, not much less than those conferences that play.

Guessing, largely in the dark, conference revenue sharing in 2021 could be anywhere from $0-10mm.

Replying to the title, apparently mushmouf cares. He wants Nebraska kicked out of the Big 10 unless they apologize to the conference for voicing their willingness to seek opportunities elsewhere for playing this fall season. How this intellectually challenged, unintelligible dolt keeps a job just substantiates what a joke his employers are. Also proof that UM is extremely overrated as an educational institution, but of course anyone reading this already knows this.

Replying to the title, apparently mushmouf cares. He wants Nebraska kicked out of the Big 10 unless they apologize to the conference for voicing their willingness to seek opportunities elsewhere for playing this fall season. How this intellectually challenged, unintelligible dolt keeps a job just substantiates what a joke his employers are. Also proof that UM is extremely overrated as an educational institution, but of course anyone reading this already knows this.

I'd just throw Nebraska out. If Delany had it in him, he'd come out and say it was an enormous mistake on his part.

Still waiting to hear his Bo knows response... Heck maybe DH knew and did nothing...

I remember Franklin talking about the logistics a few years ago and that it's so complicated that it has to be done very far in advance and that making last minute changes just isn't possible. The idea that they could put together a whole new schedule a month out is just ridiculous. They can't.

Reactions: BBrown

I wonder if his response would have been different if the school was Northwestern. I wonder if Wilbon's mentality is rooted in the Big 10 which consisted of 10 schools.

Where does he come down on Penn State before Joe and after Joe? Was he one of the flame throwers at ESPN after the PSU and Media-driven (Read: ESPN) scandal broke?

I wonder if his response would have been different if the school was Northwestern. I wonder if Wilbon's mentality is rooted in the Big 10 which consisted of 10 schools.

If it was Northwestern then he’s certainly not as angry and much more tempered in his remarks IMO.

He talks about how everything revolves around football Saturday’s at Northwestern, yet (in one of the largest cities in the country) they generally can’t fill half of a very small stadium (47,000) unless a ton of visiting team fans show up.

He can disagree with Nebraska on the issues all he wants but a Northwestern guy calling out Nebraska as ‘not having done anything in a decade plus’ is pretty rich.

Reactions: BBrown
If it was Northwestern then he’s certainly not as angry and much more tempered in his remarks IMO.

He talks about how everything revolves around football Saturday’s at Northwestern, yet (in one of the largest cities in the country) they generally can’t fill half of a very small stadium (47,000) unless a ton of visiting team fans show up.

He can disagree with Nebraska on the issues all he wants but a Northwestern guy calling out Nebraska as ‘not having done anything in a decade plus’ is pretty rich.

My thoughts as well.

Does anyone know if he was one of those ESPN flame-throwers who trashed Penn State and Joe? I chose not to watch too much after November 2011 because there never seemed to be any desire to allow the facts to play out.

My thoughts as well.

Does anyone know if he was one of those ESPN flame-throwers who trashed Penn State and Joe? I chose not to watch too much after November 2011 because there never seemed to be any desire to allow the facts to play out.
There's nothing on WIlbon's twitter about Joe or Jerry. One page of Google results doesn't show much, aside from this chat when Joe passed away:

Cosmo (Anytown, USA)
Any thoughts to share on the passing of Joe Paterno?

mike wilbon

Yes, glad you asked...This is such a difficult subject because of the way Paterno's career and life ended. Overwhelmingly, Joe Paterno's life was one well lived. He was not only a great football coach, maybe the greatest, he was dedicated to athletes being scholars, he was way ahead of the curve in regard to issues dealing with race when other coaches had their heads in the sand, he funded scholarships having nothing to do with sports, he literally built at least one university library. Those things, no matter what his greatest critics say, cannot be ignored. And no matter what his apologists say, neither can the molesting of those children at Penn State while he was the most important person on the campus, probably in the state.

mike wilbon

(more on Joe Paterno)...I had conversations with Joe Paterno in my life as a college footbal reporter for The Washington Post. I admired his accomplishments, that he stood for something, that he was literate and didn't tolerate anything approaching "dumb jock" syndrom to hang around his program...And for that he should be praised...But for harboring Jerry Sandusky, it appears, Joe has to be criticized, and harshly...it's hard to reconcile. I with he had retired 15 years ago when he should have, at 70 years old. Don't tell me a man is as in control of something as unwieldly as a major college football program at 85 as he is at 65. he should have retired or been forced to, and if he had been perhaps the ending would have been so much better...for so many folks...

mike wilbon

Okay, probably the best way to finish today's chat anyway, given the gravity of Paterno's passing. Thanks for chatting everybody...and we'll do it again next Monday! Take care...have a great week! MW

There's nothing on WIlbon's twitter about Joe or Jerry. One page of Google results doesn't show much, aside from this chat when Joe passed away:

Cosmo (Anytown, USA)

mike wilbon

Yes, glad you asked...This is such a difficult subject because of the way Paterno's career and life ended. Overwhelmingly, Joe Paterno's life was one well lived. He was not only a great football coach, maybe the greatest, he was dedicated to athletes being scholars, he was way ahead of the curve in regard to issues dealing with race when other coaches had their heads in the sand, he funded scholarships having nothing to do with sports, he literally built at least one university library. Those things, no matter what his greatest critics say, cannot be ignored. And no matter what his apologists say, neither can the molesting of those children at Penn State while he was the most important person on the campus, probably in the state.

mike wilbon

(more on Joe Paterno)...I had conversations with Joe Paterno in my life as a college footbal reporter for The Washington Post. I admired his accomplishments, that he stood for something, that he was literate and didn't tolerate anything approaching "dumb jock" syndrom to hang around his program...And for that he should be praised...But for harboring Jerry Sandusky, it appears, Joe has to be criticized, and harshly...it's hard to reconcile. I with he had retired 15 years ago when he should have, at 70 years old. Don't tell me a man is as in control of something as unwieldly as a major college football program at 85 as he is at 65. he should have retired or been forced to, and if he had been perhaps the ending would have been so much better...for so many folks...

mike wilbon

Okay, probably the best way to finish today's chat anyway, given the gravity of Paterno's passing. Thanks for chatting everybody...and we'll do it again next Monday! Take care...have a great week! MW
Always to shocking to see how intelligent and decent people like Wilbon actually think Joe would “harbor” someone Jerry Sandusky - essentially turning a blind eye to such crimes. Sad that someone of Joe’s stature - a paragon - was not given the benefit of the doubt. It has been proven he deserved it. But it should have been provided to those who were much more ordinary than Joe. Sad.

Last edited:

Whether or not NU has been good in the last decade is irrelevant to his point. Nebraska has objectively done nothing worth noting in the last decade in football. He's 100% right. Just because he is an NU fan doesn't mean he can't say objectively true things.

Cosmo (Anytown, USA)

mike wilbon

mike wilbon

mike wilbon

"harboring Jerry Sandusky" is the most troubling part of his commentary. So, his opinion is that, despite Joe's character and integrity, he thought that he covered for Jerry Sandusky.

Always to shocking to see how intelligent and decent people like Wilbon actually think Joe would “harbor” someone Jerry Sandusky - essentially turning a blind eye to such crimes. Sad that someone of Joe’s stature - a paragon - was not given the benefit of the doubt. It has been proven he deserved it. But it should have been provided to those who were much more ordinary than Joe. Sad.
Well said, sir. +1

"harboring Jerry Sandusky" is the most troubling part of his commentary. So, his opinion is that, despite Joe's character and integrity, he thought that he covered for Jerry Sandusky.
Yeah and "all those children molested at Penn State" - how many kids was Jerry convicted of Molesting at Penn State - this wasn't MSU.

I am sure that idiot would have no problem with other expressions of free speech but I guess Nebraska doesn't have that right in this case because he disagrees with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT