ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Fitzgerald (NW) indicated in a recent

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
Presser that recruiting pressure has increased on players to commit during the Covid-19 time period even though many have never visited the campus. He said he expects a flurry of decommits once on campus visits are allowed and players can meet/speak with coaches face-to-face.

Agree or disagree? I think he is correct.

Reactions: BBrown and 4IUSox2
I think Franklin said something similar.

There's long been pressure to commit to get your spot in line. Now without the summer camp circuit, there are less lines to get in (for now), so kids commit ASAP.

And the decommit rage will be from both sides, too.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and BBrown
Decommits are going to be way up this year.

Fortunately for us, seems as though Tengwall is all in, and our higher profile guys have been on campus multiple times.

Guys like PJ Fleck that aggressively push for verbals will probably experience some flips once those kids get out and visit other campuses. He's assembling a great class so far......but if there's anybody who seems like a candidate to lose kids later in the process, it's him.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and BBrown
Presser that recruiting pressure has increased on players to commit during the Covid-19 time period even though many have never visited the campus. He said he expects a flurry of decommits once on campus visits are allowed and players can meet/speak with coaches face-to-face.

I think we can rely on what Pat F. says...he seems to be a straight shooter.

Decommits are going to be way up this year.

Fortunately for us, seems as though Tengwall is all in, and our higher profile guys have been on campus multiple times.

Guys like PJ Fleck that aggressively push for verbals will probably experience some flips once those kids get out and visit other campuses. He's assembling a great class so far......but if there's anybody who seems like a candidate to lose kids later in the process, it's him.
I hope you’re correct about Fleck. I get so annoyed whenever I hear about his damn boat.

I hope you’re correct about Fleck. I get so annoyed whenever I hear about his damn boat.

Fleck's recruiting tactics are well known. The hour glass tactic, the excessively aggressive text messaging, the commit-now-or-else stuff, etc.

He's a heck of a coach and a strong recruiter. But I get the sense that a bunch of kids -- mostly out-of-state -- are committing to Minnesota because Fleck is probably more effective at most in pressuring for commitments via virtual recruiting. Once the gates are opened and kids begin to experience other options, some may find that there's greener grass than what's in Minnesota.

It is something 'our' program will have to deal with if we want to continue to climb the ranks. We are starting to get players that the big programs want. Fleck will most likely have to work harder to keep the whole class together.

All things considered, it's not a bad challenge to have. Hopefully we can hang on to most of them.

It is something 'our' program will have to deal with if we want to continue to climb the ranks. We are starting to get players that the big programs want. Fleck will most likely have to work harder to keep the whole class together.

All things considered, it's not a bad challenge to have. Hopefully we can hang on to most of them.

He's definitely getting results. If he keeps this up, he's going to have Minnesota challenging Wisconsin for supremacy of the West on a regular basis.

I'm not the biggest fan of the way he pressures kids to commit. But hey.....that's between him and the recruits.

Be safe my friend! Not related to this thread, but I fear much craziness is headed our way. Yesterday/ last night was just a start. My wife informed me that the Marshall Ave/ Lake Street bridge was full of protesters. Our neighborhood is somewhat close to the police department in question.

Agree. Pitt has a commit from somewhere outside of PA that has never been on their campus.
And while many are touting Locksley at MD lets just put the brakes on and see how many actually sign up or if MD is just a place holder.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Agree. Pitt has a commit from somewhere outside of PA that has never been on their campus.
And while many are touting Locksley at MD lets just put the brakes on and see how many actually sign up or if MD is just a place holder.

When that Pitt recruit ride the bus to the rental stadium and see it empty for the first time of many times, he will be hooked.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I think Franklin said something similar.

There's long been pressure to commit to get your spot in line. Now without the summer camp circuit, there are less lines to get in (for now), so kids commit ASAP.

And the decommit rage will be from both sides, too.
Oh, to (try to) get in the minds of 18-year olds...and with no or fewer tweets about things like campus visits. Maybe it's not much different than before recruiting became a spectator sport, the internet, and social media.

Personally, I don't think this is so bad for all parties concerned. Maybe the recruits will enjoy the relative privacy and down time, and use it to consider what is important to them.

I would think that Franklin will fare relatively well through this as he seems to make a good first impression.

Be safe my friend! Not related to this thread, but I fear much craziness is headed our way. Yesterday/ last night was just a start. My wife informed me that the Marshall Ave/ Lake Street bridge was full of protesters. Our neighborhood is somewhat close to the police department in question.
You too pal. I can’t bring myself to watch the video nor can I imagine what was going through the officer’s mind.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
Fleck him! He's a Flecking boat rowing jerk! Get an outboard motor already, it's been years! :cool:
Wonder how long the row your boat thing will last?Rutgers still going with the chop wood thing.I can see some funny character things coming from this at away games.

Why should any of this affect us? After all, we no longer are going after blue chip talent. These days we are all about the "diamonds in the rough" and projects who need 3 years in a D1 weight room before they see the field.

You too pal. I can’t bring myself to watch the video nor can I imagine what was going through the officer’s mind.
Unfortunately I did see the video (at least the portion that was posted). It says much that the chief of Police already fired the four officers involved. I am hopeful that lessons will be learned from this. Anyone can loose it. Especially in such a demanding job. I am hopeful that other officers can and will learn to step in and intervene if things get out of hand. Things shouldn't escalate to that level from a fraud/ forgery suspect apprehension.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul
Oh, to (try to) get in the minds of 18-year olds...and with no or fewer tweets about things like campus visits. Maybe it's not much different than before recruiting became a spectator sport, the internet, and social media.

Personally, I don't think this is so bad for all parties concerned. Maybe the recruits will enjoy the relative privacy and down time, and use it to consider what is important to them.

I would think that Franklin will fare relatively well through this as he seems to make a good first impression.

Penn State will be fine. With a solid Coach, recent and long winning tradition, facilities, etc. PSU's program already has a huge head start. It just might impact the quantity of quality depth players.

When that Pitt recruit ride the bus to the rental stadium and see it empty for the first time of many times, he will be hooked.
Or the daily half hour bus ride across the Mon river to the South Side practice facility. Some nice restaurants on the SS, but need to learn how to dodge bullets after dark and on weekends.

TIC...Glad Fitz is using my stuff!!

I mentioned higher likelihood of decommits once on campus visits resume about a month ago on the IU and PU board. It just seems inevitable. At least McGraw switched early to PSU and it didn't seem to catch IU coaches by surprise. It's the fall decommits that will be causing coaches greater angst, in greater numbers this year.

As for Minny, been 20 yrs or more since I've seen or talked with him, but know their OL coach a little from back in Chicago. Great guy. Is pulling in kids from Chicago area who typically go to Iowa or Wisconsin. Will see if they can hold onto come signing day.

Unfortunately I did see the video (at least the portion that was posted). It says much that the chief of Police already fired the four officers involved. I am hopeful that lessons will be learned from this. Anyone can loose it. Especially in such a demanding job. I am hopeful that other officers can and will learn to step in and intervene if things get out of hand. Things shouldn't escalate to that level from a fraud/ forgery suspect apprehension.
Agree... though we'll probably know more of the "why" when we see the video of what happened after he was walked toward the 2nd vehicle... and the final video with him far away from that previous point and now on the ground (effectively being murdered).

Perhaps it's out (have not been following that much today.. rioting and looting tend to dampen my interest) and I have not seen it. Ditto body cams. None of which will excuse the mister "living out the rest of his life in agonizing pain" cop... but it will offer perspective on the wtf that preceded it.

NSFW (or home in some instances):

TIC...Glad Fitz is using my stuff!!

I mentioned higher likelihood of decommits once on campus visits resume about a month ago on the IU and PU board. It just seems inevitable. At least McGraw switched early to PSU and it didn't seem to catch IU coaches by surprise. It's the fall decommits that will be causing coaches greater angst, in greater numbers this year.

As for Minny, been 20 yrs or more since I've seen or talked with him, but know their OL coach a little from back in Chicago. Great guy. Is pulling in kids from Chicago area who typically go to Iowa or Wisconsin. Will see if they can hold onto come signing day.

PJ Fleck is running roughshod over the state of Illinois in recruiting. Completely eating Lovie's lunch.

Illinois had a chance to hire him a few years back. Instead went the "splash" route. Good call.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT