ADVERTISEMENT

Parker Cothren committed a sin on the field

RTLH

Nov 7, 2001
He helped a QB up after knocking him on his butt.
When I played and if you want to develop that attitude you never never never help an opponent up. You put him in his butt and it's his job or his teammates job to get him up.
This is not showing a lack of sportsmanship. It's war out there.
A lack of sportsmanship is back in the day watching schools like Miami stand over a fallen opponent, dance, spit, taunt, celebrate and kick. That we don't do here.

Last edited:
When I played and if you want to develop that attitude you never never never help an opponent up. You put him in his butt and it's his job or his teammates job to get him up.
This is not showing a lack of sportsmanship. It's sad out there.
A lack of sportsmanship shop is back in the day watching schools like Miami stand over a fallen opponent, dance, spit, taunt, celebrate and kick. That we don't do here.

I like the way Clyde Simmons use to hit the QB then wrap him up and drive him into the ground for a second hit and dislocated shoulder.

Reactions: RTLH
The quicker you help up your opponent, the quicker you can knock him down on the next play. I see nothing wrong with a the young man's actions.

Wasted energy. Hit him, drive him into the ground and knock him out. Then do the same to the next qb.

A lack of sportsmanship is back in the day watching schools like Miami stand over a fallen opponent, dance, spit, taunt, celebrate and kick. That we don't do here.

Yeah, you were such a stud in your day, Kenneth.

"Sin"? "War"? Not sure you know the meaning of those words. A few hours at Walter Reed in Bethesda or the burn unit at Brooke in San Antonio might be informative for you. It's an athletic contest. A game. A violent game, but still just a game. If he wants to show some sportsmanship to an opponent he just leveled there's nothing wrong with that at all. Get a grip.

I loved it, super cool and it was so old school Penn State.

It's a gesture that says to the QB, I'm having fun playing football, how about you?

I couldn't be more excited about the DTs. Can't wait to see what they do Saturday against a better OL. They could be one of the better DT groups we've seen at PSU, and if they are, wow.

I call Bull$hitt on the sin!

It is not war. It is a game

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
I worked with a guy (former displaced person from Europe) who went to Maryland and was a big Terps fan.

This was in the late '70s and early '80s when PSU was routinely thrashing the Terps. He told me a few times that he really respected the PSU D linemen: "They knock you on your ass and then they offer you a hand to help you get up."

The world is changing. Dinardo was talking about how they used to teach players to "ear hole" opponents.

In baseball the catcher can no longer block the plate and a runner can no longer go on hard to break up a double play. In basketball a hard foul is a technical.

The world is changing. Dinardo was talking about how they used to teach players to "ear hole" opponents.

In baseball the catcher can no longer block the plate and a runner can no longer go on hard to break up a double play. In basketball a hard foul is a technical.
And pretty soon. You won't be able to hit in football. Heck half the hits now are penalties

Well done Parker. Sportsmanship never goes out of style at Penn State.

Hey Parker, when you knock RTLH on his ass you don't have to pick him up. You can also hit him late and at the knees. No one would complain.

I saw this. I'm with the group thought of hit 'em HARD knock 'em down, smile, hit them Hard again. It's a game. I really like when I see this. Not like Akron's QB was gonna win this one. Not sure I want to see this against Pitt, Michigan or Ohya State. Love seeing MMa fighter genuinely hug after beating the snot out of each other. Not an MMa fan( can't avoid watching it in Mexico....It was on in a super high class restaurant !!!) but this ethic makes it interesting and tolerable.

I'm all for it. It's a counter tactic to smack talk. If you're whooping someone but you're a good sport about it, that is a huge psychological advantage over poorer sports.

Ohio State players choose to fake injuries to slow down a high tempo offense (see Indiana game). The play by play guys even said it was shady. NEVER help out scumbags.

I saw this. I'm with the group thought of hit 'em HARD knock 'em down, smile, hit them Hard again. It's a game. I really like when I see this. Not like Akron's QB was gonna win this one. Not sure I want to see this against Pitt, Michigan or Ohya State. Love seeing MMa fighter genuinely hug after beating the snot out of each other. Not an MMa fan( can't avoid watching it in Mexico....It was on in a super high class restaurant !!!) but this ethic makes it interesting and tolerable.
:confused: you're on what medication?

Ohio State players choose to fake injuries to slow down a high tempo offense (see Indiana game). The play by play guys even said it was shady. NEVER help out scumbags.
Not the first team to do that

I wouldn't exactly call it a sin. I do however agree with the sentiment. Don't help him up during the game. AFTER the game, shake the man's hand and tell him "good game", but during the game let him get up on his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTLH
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT