ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 -- No games played yet and already a cancellation

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
Washington Huskies-California Golden Bears game canceled because of coronavirus case

Saturday's football season opener between the California Golden Bears and Washington Huskies has been canceled after a Cal player tested positive for the coronavirus, the Pac-12 announced Thursday.

"The Pac-12 has approved a request from Cal to cancel the Washington at Cal football game scheduled for November 7," the Pac-12 said in a statement. "This decision was made under the Pac-12's football game cancellation policy due to Cal not having the minimum number of scholarship players available for the game as a result of a positive football student-athlete COVID-19 case and resulting isolation of additional football student-athletes under contact tracing protocols."

Cal reported the case after a daily antigen test came back positive and was then confirmed through a PCR test.

Washington Huskies-California Golden Bears game canceled because of coronavirus case

Saturday's football season opener between the California Golden Bears and Washington Huskies has been canceled after a Cal player tested positive for the coronavirus, the Pac-12 announced Thursday.

"The Pac-12 has approved a request from Cal to cancel the Washington at Cal football game scheduled for November 7," the Pac-12 said in a statement. "This decision was made under the Pac-12's football game cancellation policy due to Cal not having the minimum number of scholarship players available for the game as a result of a positive football student-athlete COVID-19 case and resulting isolation of additional football student-athletes under contact tracing protocols."

Cal reported the case after a daily antigen test came back positive and was then confirmed through a PCR test.
200.gif

Reactions: BBrown and 81b&w
Imagine that, Cal cancelling a football game. Over/Under on amount of games the Pac 12 plays this year I say is 4 per team.

Reactions: Kiber
1 player tested positive and that decimated their whole team so that they don’t have the required number of scholarship players available per PAC 12 rules?

I have to wonder how VA Tech was able to survive their games with multiple players out earlier this year when it only took 1 positive player to take out the whole Cal team.

"A" ... as in singular? Well, if your threshold is 1, you might as well cancel all games now.

1 player tested positive and that decimated their whole team so that they don’t have the required number of scholarship players available per PAC 12 rules?

I have to wonder how VA Tech was able to survive their games with multiple players out earlier this year when it only took 1 positive player to take out the whole Cal team.
I'm a Cal alum and I can't argue with that. I just wonder who adopted these "contact tracing protocols." Did Cal have a say in that? In any case, if one guy going down can cause game cancellations, then they should just shit can the whole season. Which would be a shame, because this season's Cal team might have actually won some games. We had a lot of guys returning, and were favored to come in second in the Pac 12 North, behind the Ducks.

Not to let facts get in the way of a good argument, but VaTech cancelled there 1st 3 games.

Not to let facts get in the way of a good argument, but VaTech cancelled there 1st 3 games.
Wow, not even close to being factually accurate. They moved their 9/12 game to 9/26 (played it and won). They moved their 9/19 game to 12/9. They have played all other games as scheduled. They did play their first three games down 20-23 players each game and won 2 of them.

Reactions: psu00
Wow, not even close to being factually accurate. They moved their 9/12 game to 9/26 (played it and won). They moved their 9/19 game to 12/9. They have played all other games as scheduled. They did play their first three games down 20-23 players each game and won 2 of them.
Yeah, but let's not forget they had PSU on the schedule and lots of us, particularly those in the VA/NC area were greatly looking forward to that one.

I don't exactly recall -- was it PSU that canceled that game or a mutual decision?

VT is 4-2. From what I’ve read they’ve postponed 2 games so far. They postponed their first game because of a covid breakout at North Carolina St. That game was rescheduled and played 9/26 (VT won 45-24).

VT postponed the UVA game because of an outbreak on the Blacksburg campus as students returned. That game is rescheduled for 12/12.

Louisville played VT while sitting 9 players for covid. It is odd that the Cal game is cancelled over 1.

Yeah, but let's not forget they had PSU on the schedule and lots of us, particularly those in the VA/NC area were greatly looking forward to that one.

I don't exactly recall -- was it PSU that canceled that game or a mutual decision?

It was the big ten who originally decided to do a conference schedule only. That killed the VT game this year.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN and royboy
I'm a Cal alum and I can't argue with that. I just wonder who adopted these "contact tracing protocols." Did Cal have a say in that? In any case, if one guy going down can cause game cancellations, then they should just shit can the whole season. Which would be a shame, because this season's Cal team might have actually won some games. We had a lot of guys returning, and were favored to come in second in the Pac 12 North, behind the Ducks.

Yeah, I don’t know the PAC 12 contact tracing details. It would be interesting to see if it’s any different from other conferences.

I was looking forward to watching the Cal vs Washington game this week. Hopefully Cal can regroup quickly and continue the shortened season.

Cal requested the game be cancelled per the posted article.

It's the PAC 12. Is anyone really surprised?

They are popping the cork at conference headquarters regarding this good news.

Cal requested the game be cancelled per the posted article.
I'm aware of that. But they requested cancellation because they did not have the minimum number of scholarship players eligible to play. Why? Because the "contact tracing protocols" by which Cal was bound made it necessary to quarantine a number of players who apparently had some kind of contact with the one player who tested positive for Covid-19. I don't know how many players were required to quarantine, but the fact is that the "contact tracing protocols," as helpful as they may be in helping limit the spread of Covid-19, are draconian enough to require the cancellation of a game because ONE DUDE tested positive. Perhaps that is appropriate under the circumstances, but if the standards are that tight, it suggests to me that they should not have commenced the season in the first place. Why get our hopes up, only to dash them so easily? And who promulgated and/or adopted these contact tracing protocols? It could possibly be the Pac 12 conference, but I'm guessing it is a matter of state or local law.

Apparently the issue isn't even Cal, but the city of Berkeley, that's causing the contact tracing efforts, despite the use of antigen tests.

No real surprise in that town

Reactions: BUFFALO LION

It was the big ten who originally decided to do a conference schedule only. That killed the VT game this year.
Seriously?

Geez, excuuuse me, ro.

"A" ... as in singular? Well, if your threshold is 1, you might as well cancel all games now.

I can not believe the Pac-12 coaches are not voicing their displeasure about this. I know right now it's totally politically correct to be all-in on coronavirus. I get the coaches are scared of the optics and the media backlash.... look at how the media tried to attack that Dodger player for celebrating after the WS without a mask .... But there comes a point where you'd think one of these football coaches would have enough and call out the stupidity.

I can not believe the Pac-12 coaches are not voicing their displeasure about this. I know right now it's totally politically correct to be all-in on coronavirus. I get the coaches are scared of the optics and the media backlash.... look at how the media tried to attack that Dodger player for celebrating after the WS without a mask .... But there comes a point where you'd think one of these football coaches would have enough and call out the stupidity.

you almost answer your own question. obviously the coaches want to say something but are not saying anything. that is because most likely they are being told by the AD, who is being told by the Presidents, that if the coaches say anything publically they will be disciplined.

you almost answer your own question. obviously the coaches want to say something but are not saying anything. that is because most likely they are being told by the AD, who is being told by the Presidents, that if the coaches say anything publically they will be disciplined.

Probably right. Kind of like calling out the refs after a game with a badly blown call. Most coaches bite their tongues and do not say anything because of fines/discipline... But some still get so pissed they just do not give a crap and still say something despite the threat of fine/discipline

Reactions: royboy

The Cal head coach said that because of the protocols, one whole position group was taken out, unable to play. Unfortunate, but how do you play a game with a whole position group out? You simply cannot.

It was not canceled due to Pac 12 rules. It was canceled due to City of Berkeley rules for quarantining.

The Cal head coach said that because of the protocols, one whole position group was taken out, unable to play. Unfortunate, but how do you play a game with a whole position group out? You simply cannot.
Although, in a way, it might be kinda fun to watch other players trying to step into different roles. They might not win but they could still play. Sadly I realize that it might jeopardize player safety so I get it.

Arizona Wildcats opener at Utah has now been cancelled as well. 19 cases in Utes program.

They’re supposed to be pretty smart at Berkeley. They should be able to figure it out.

It was not canceled due to Pac 12 rules. It was canceled due to City of Berkeley rules for quarantining.

that's an incomplete answer. The Berkeley Public Health rules, and the University Health Services Infection Control unit mandate that any individual who came in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 has to quarantine for 14 days.

The Pac-12 rules, established when they decided to try to hold a belated 2020 season, state that "each team must have at least seven offensive linemen, one quarterback and four defensive linemen."

the player that tested positive is a lineman. As such, it's quite likely that those forced to quarantine are linemen, which would put Cal below the threshold at that position as established in the Pac-12 COVID rules.

The rules do allow the team to play with less than 53 players (another Pac-12 COVID rule) or with fewer than the minimum number of position players listed above. If they chose not to do so, upon approval by the Commissioner of the Pac-12, the game is to be rescheduled or declared a no contest.

In short, you can't simply blame it on the City of Berkeley.

If they rapid test everyday, i don't see the reason for the quaranting.

Really? Rapid tests give a quick result. They also are notoriously inaccurate. In addition, the incubation period for COVID-19 has shown to be around 14 days. So those teammates could be rapidly tested for a week and also test negative, and then suddenly the majority of them could test positive at 8 days, 10 days, 12 days, etc., and then anyone they've been in contact with over those X number of days would also be at increased risk, and need to quarantine (as well as anybody they had been in contact with after they had been in contact with the person that tested positive).

Add Arizona - Utah to the list of canceled week 1 PAC-12 games

Really? Rapid tests give a quick result. They also are notoriously inaccurate. In addition, the incubation period for COVID-19 has shown to be around 14 days. So those teammates could be rapidly tested for a week and also test negative, and then suddenly the majority of them could test positive at 8 days, 10 days, 12 days, etc., and then anyone they've been in contact with over those X number of days would also be at increased risk, and need to quarantine (as well as anybody they had been in contact with after they had been in contact with the person that tested positive).

maybe i am wrong, but if you test negative then you are not contagious. so therefore you cannot infect someone else hence no reason to quarantine.

maybe i am wrong, but if you test negative then you are not contagious. so therefore you cannot infect someone else hence no reason to quarantine.

If you test negative you don't have it at that moment in time, it does not mean you are not going to develop it later that day, the next day, or soon thereafter, and then be contagious. If you were around someone with it, and you test negative, that does not mean you won't come down with it from being around them earlier.

If you test negative you don't have it at that moment in time, it does not mean you are not going to develop it later that day, the next day, or soon thereafter, and then be contagious. If you were around someone with it, and you test negative, that does not mean you won't come down with it from being around them earlier.

but the whole point is they are testing daily, so next day is either positive or negative. obviously if you test positive you quarantine. but the person who was 'just around' the positive, i am not sure why they are quarantining if tested daily.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT