ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

How about for the individual tourney we go one class?

For team, go A, AA and AAA(Privates and any school deemed to have taken in anyone that transferred for athletic reasons)

ok pile on. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski and nitlion6
Crookham was ruled eligible last yr because of extreme situations leading to his injury which then led to his transfer. He chose not to come because of the concussion risks

Both MD & VA don't allow the prep schools to compete against public schools at states. I expect that is true for most states and SHOULD be true for all states.

Reactions: dbldoofus
Normally I'd agree with you -- but this year I wouldn't be surprised to see him get invited for a World Team Trials rematch with Riggins at 160. The bigger question is if he would accept (you might be right there).

Team PA is really weak this year and may have to dip into Preps for more than obviously Feldman. Without Levi, the most likely 160 candidate has never finished above 4th. And that's actually not the weakest PA weight.

Reactions: nitlion6
Normally I'd agree with you -- but this year I wouldn't be surprised to see him get invited for a World Team Trials rematch with Riggins at 160. The bigger question is if he would accept (you might be right there).

Team PA is really weak this year and may have to dip into Preps for more than obviously Feldman. Without Levi, the most likely 160 candidate has never finished above 4th. And that's actually not the weakest PA weight.
I agree- Do you think PA is overall weaker this year? I have talked to a few HS coaches and they say the competition level is down in AA and AAA.
I think the gap has definitely increased between the elite and standard wrestlers. There isn’t those part time/fill type kids as much any more.

I agree- Do you think PA is overall weaker this year? I have talked to a few HS coaches and they say the competition level is down in AA and AAA.
I think the gap has definitely increased between the elite and standard wrestlers. There isn’t those part time/fill type kids as much any more.
A little less but appreciably less? I don't know about that.

IMO this is more a case of the senior year being down, or at least not as good as the underclass years. On top of that, many of PA's best seniors are not competing (Haines, Gibson) or at Preps (Feldman, Rogers, Wehmeyer, Franklin, etc.).

The SO and JR classes have a lot of high-end, battle tested talent. That doesn't mean they'll necessarily win Dapper Dan. But the PIAA classes are probably better than this one.

Quick look at possible PA team, Hide the women and children.

120: Probably no state champs (AAA Kamdyn Williams and AA Jaden Pepe both underclass)
Most likely Mason Leiphart, Dover AAA S3 (F&M)
Athens AA 113 Gavin Bradley (S6-S7-S2) could win states but has a returning champ (JR Wentzel) in his district.

126: Jake Van Dee, Erie Prep AAA S2-S1 (Nebraska)
Note, Karl Shindledecker (Chambersburg S3-S2) in the same bracket.

132: Brandan Chletsos, NDGP AA S6-S3-S2 (Rutger)
Note, Chletsos is the favoite at AA states but has 9 losses this year.
AAA Mac Church (Waynesburg S3-S1, Virginia Tech) is a JR.

138: Ryan Crookham, Saucon Valley AA S1-S1 (Lehigh)

145: Finn Solomon, Franklin Regional AAA S2-S1 (NC State)
Note, Solomon lost this year to Jude Swisher (Bellefonte S4-S3, Penn), will be in same bracket.

152: Jackson Arrington, Forest Hills S1-S3-S1 (NC State)

160: Most likely Jared Keslar, Connellsville AAA S4-S4 (Pitt) or Matt Colajezzi, Council Rock South AAA S4 (Navy)
Note: Grant Mackay (Laurel AA S1, Pitt) is a JR. Also this would be Levi's weight.

170: Probably no state champs (AAA Welsh and AA Lawrence are underclass)
Most likely Nolan Lear, Benton AA S5-S3

182: Not a PIAA class, and no good PIAA candidates (see 170 above).
Most likely: Jack Wehmeyer, Malvern Prep (Columbia).

195: Cole Karpinski, Greenville AA S6 (189, Army).
Note, not a PIAA class. 189 AAA favorite Sonny Sasso is underclass.
Also there are no good Prep options unless Malvern's 220 Caden Rogers (Lehigh) can drop.
At least Karpinski's club coach is Worlds better than Rylan Rogers.

215: Dayton Pitzer, Mt Pleasant AA, S1-S1 (Pitt)

285: Nick Feldman, Malvern Prep (anOSU)
PIAA favorites AAA Sean Kinney and AA Riley Robell both underclass.

Last edited:
Last year D4 126 was ridiculous with Scott Johnson, Strickland and Gramly.

Take a look at the D4 central sectional. Scott Johnson, Bobby Gardner, Caden Milheim, and Dylan Granahan. That 4 of the state top 10 in one section bracket. Filthy!!!

Last year D4 126 was ridiculous with Scott Johnson, Strickland and Gramly.

Take a look at the D4 central sectional. Scott Johnson, Bobby Gardner, Caden Milheim, and Dylan Granahan. That 4 of the state top 10 in one section bracket. Filthy!!!
Austin Johnson -- undefeated FR at 215 -- moving up to HWT makes for an interesting match with returning state finalist Riley Robell.

Unfortunately that will probably be in the semis, because Johnson will get zero placement points as a freshman.

The one thing that might help is that every 2021 HWT SQ (including those who made Super Regionals) is either in NE Regionals with Johnson or SE Regionals with Robell. So the SW and NW champs will have limited placement points themselves.

Austin Johnson has the skills to beat anyone but his motor has always been an issue. I think he is one of Harer’s wrestlers. Very good but lack gas-

Also since Harer hasn't been at Muncy in a few years, and the Johnsons are M2 kids.
Thought Harer was at Montgomery that's where he wrestled now that you mention it I think he did get let go at muncy. My thoughts on his gas tank still stand. I remember watching him at sectionals and districts helluva wrestler loved slapping legs in on kids.

I just read a Sunday article in Morning call. You want to talk about something unfair for a kid(1st seed).
District 11 only uses prestige points from previous season and does not allow team dual individual results to count towards seeding for this year Districts. Ryan Crookham with his 2 State titles and 104-3 career record might be the 16th seed next week.

I just read a Sunday article in Morning call. You want to talk about something unfair for a kid(1st seed).
District 11 only uses prestige points from previous season and does not allow team dual individual results to count towards seeding for this year Districts. Ryan Crookham with his 2 State titles and 104-3 career record might be the 16th seed next week.
D1 does the same and I assume most districts are similar. Thet do allow coaching staffs of wrestlers with previous postseason credentials affected by injury to apply for special seeding consideration.

Not sure if DXI has the same in place but wouldn't be surprised if they did.

though to look at it one way -- if Crookham is indeed 16th seed and draws the 1 seed right off -- when he wins that match, he would have the same remaining path to the finals that the 1-seed appeared to have.

though to look at it one way -- if Crookham is indeed 16th seed and draws the 1 seed right off -- when he wins that match, he would have the same remaining path to the finals that the 1-seed appeared to have.
Thats fine for Crookham, but not a great deal for the #1 seed and also the guys in the #1s path on the backside where advancement is 9n the line.

Its not Crookham who gets the raw deal.

Seems almost as unfair to the #1 seed, who in theory shouldn't have seen him until the semi's or championship.

IDK who would be the #1 seed at D11s, but anybody capable of earning that top seed should be able to finish top 4 and reach SE Regionals, even with an unusually early loss to Crookham.

Crookham is the only returning state placer at D11 AA 138. So it's not like there's some immovable object waiting in consis.

And then that wrestler should also reach Hershey with a top 6 finish at SE Regionals. Other than Crookham, only one other state placer returns -- last year's S8 at 126.

That said, I hope the local process allows for an exemption. Crookham would be a slam dunk and it would be fairer for the field.

It happened a couple a years ago in District 11, when Kasak was hurt and only wrestled 2 bouts during the season. Bunting from Nazareth got 1st seed, Kasak got 16th seed. Bunting got hurt in 1-16 match and had to injury default the tournament.

Not gonna lie, I enjoy watching Denny loose. He is a whiney b*tch as a coach. Constantly running on the mat. He was talking at the crowd all through the dual at Benton this year. Picked a fight with a fan toward the end.

I might have to agree with the above statement.

I was at area x today and I can tell you, Central PA has some serious talent coming up through.

Do you agree. We got some good ones coming out. All the little brothers: Little Milheim, Little Harer and little Wentzel

Looking at the D11 MS districts, Becca not in the top 17 in their District in MS but then dominates the state when they get all transfers. How do they allow this to keep happening.

A question for those opposed to the wrestling transfers. Do you think the kids who transfer to BECA or other wrestling powers are better off for doing so? Do they develop more as wrestlers or increase their chances of getting a scholarship by being at these schools? If they do, it seems hard to tell them they are not allowed to do something that is in the kid's best interest.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT