ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

This flunks the sniff test: Simon is a SO who wrestled for Waynesburg last year too. You think he's gonna do that for how many years?

Also flunks the evidence check: Simon wrestled for PA at Fargo and at Super 32. Don't trust me, check the brackets.
Fargo: https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/91dfe75a-7549-6f96-7add-66fda2af2430
S32: https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/99bda6d2-2084-4282-94d0-2654c8b2745e
Just saying what was told to me from a very reliable source from D7. I bet Welsh, Church, Henson and Phartous all were in Waynesburg youth programs too.

Saucon Valley!!!! Shocks the world. #RohnTrained

Red Hawk (Bethlehem) beats Dark knights(Nazareth)

Worst part is now who is NDGP going to bring in now. They will be saying SV recruited Crookham back. Glad to see a public school win it. It will be the last time for a long time AA or AAA with Faith Academy, McDevitt, McCruit and Becca.
Dark Knights, I mean, Nazareth was the only team who had a chance in AAA. Old Hartmen is smiling knowing he allowed D11 to dominate and form allstar teams.

D4 people know just how awful wpt was for 20 years. They were just bad this century. Low numbers, sub par support, etc.

This is magical. What you can do with a plan, will and talent.

Brian is a heckuva HS coach

A lot of these kids have bought in for a long time. It’s great to see our program which was really good in the mid 90s have a resurgence. I helped coach the elementary program when the Bower twins were kg/1st graders. I knew these kids and their teammates were special. They put in the work and Nasdeo turned them into people that I know many in our community are proud of. Heck of a dual team and a lot of good experience earned to help them at individual states.

Bethlehem Catholic 34, Nazareth 22

on Saturday, February 12, 2022
PIAA Class AAA Duals (Championship Final)
at Giant Center, Hershey (Nazareth in bold)

Related Info
138 - Tyler Kasak pinned Ayden Rader, 1:59 (6-0)

145 - Nicholas Foster dec. Charlie Scanlan, 3-1 (6-3)

152 - Andrew Harmon maj. dec. Vinny Hebel, 10-1 (10-3)

160 - Landon Muth dec. Dominic Wheatley, 6-4 SV (13-3)

172 - Luke Thomas dec. Ryan Fairchild, 6-2 (16-3)

189 - Chase Levey maj. dec. James Deluise, 17-6 (16-7)

215 - Sonny Sasso pinned Jacob Lance, 0:57 (16-13)

285 - Sean Kinney pinned Elijah Thompson, 0:41 (16-19)

106 - Shane McFillin pinned Dominic Rizzotto, 0:50 (22-19)

113 - Nathan Desmond dec. Tahir Parkins, 3-1 UTB (25-19)

120 - Charlie Bunting dec. Cael McIntyre, 3-2 (25-22)

126 - Dante Frinzi dec. Braxton Appello-Fries, 4-3 (28-22)

132 - Kollin Rath pinned Jake Doone, 2:58 (34-22)

Reactions: kevin310
AAA: Beca 34-22 over Nazareth, came down to the final match.

AA: Saucon 29-22 over NDGP.
And that doesn't take into account that the population of the WPIAL is far greater than that of D11 and I have o horse in this race as I grew up in D6.
Very simple answer-
D11 is able to do what ever they want with transfers and forming teams. Hartmen, their district chair, is the D11 real MVP.
I am a Central PA guy but we know D11 is not that much better than D7. They have their years but all four AA and AAA finalists proves they do what ever they want. This will be displayed at individuals.
Shady Side was the last all star team D7 let become assembled. Wayneburg’s multiple state all star team could be debatable

Last edited:
I am clearly a D11 guy. D7 is enormous & has lots of individual talent spread out all over which is why it does so Well at states. D11 is really only about 25 mile in diameter minus a few kids here & there who may have found god. Transfers are terrible & the majority of the district plays by the rules

Reactions: Callthestall
I am clearly a D11 guy. D7 is enormous & has lots of individual talent spread out all over which is why it does so Well at states. D11 is really only about 25 mile in diameter minus a few kids here & there who may have found god. Transfers are terrible & the majority of the district plays by the rules
all except the all star teams very unfair

Couple things, yes D7 is much bigger than D11. I'm not saying you have ever said this, but a lot of people have been pushing to go to one classification (for individuals anyway), and their argument is the size of the school (or area) shouldn't matter. Again, not saying you have ever said this, but people can't play both sides of the fence.

Without getting into an argument, D11 teams are notorious for having transfers, NDGP and Becahi are the two most notable. All four teams in the finals had someone wrestle that others wouldn't agree with. Nazareth had Apello (sp) who wrestled for Easton. Becahi and NDGP you never know where those kids may be from, and Saucon you had Crookham who lived in the district, but then went to NDGP and is now back.

Here is the argument that I make, as well as a lot of people that I talk to when this kind of stuff comes up. When you start talking about "transfers" and "recruiting" it seems unfair that some schools can basically do whatever they want, while others can not. Unfortunately, its the kids that end up suffering when the PIAA decides to make an example out of a school (Bishop McCort). The sanctions that were passed down to them really doesn't hurt the school at all, but takes away the state medals that kids could have earned.

Wyoming Seminary obviously recruits, and is allowed to do so wresting the prep league. I think the solution is simple, if you get caught with illegitimate transfers or recruits or whatever you want to call them, you get pushed into the prep league. I use PIAA football as an example. Aliquippa is already playing up a few classes by choice, they've done so well, the PIAA wanted to bump them up an other class due to a point system. Why can't this type of thing be done in wrestling?

I'm not saying they should force any AA team up in class due to success, but I think they should be able to force a team into the prep league if it is deemed someone transferred before the grace period with athletic intent.

Reactions: Sullivan
Couple things, yes D7 is much bigger than D11. I'm not saying you have ever said this, but a lot of people have been pushing to go to one classification (for individuals anyway), and their argument is the size of the school (or area) shouldn't matter. Again, not saying you have ever said this, but people can't play both sides of the fence.

Without getting into an argument, D11 teams are notorious for having transfers, NDGP and Becahi are the two most notable. All four teams in the finals had someone wrestle that others wouldn't agree with. Nazareth had Apello (sp) who wrestled for Easton. Becahi and NDGP you never know where those kids may be from, and Saucon you had Crookham who lived in the district, but then went to NDGP and is now back.

Here is the argument that I make, as well as a lot of people that I talk to when this kind of stuff comes up. When you start talking about "transfers" and "recruiting" it seems unfair that some schools can basically do whatever they want, while others can not. Unfortunately, its the kids that end up suffering when the PIAA decides to make an example out of a school (Bishop McCort). The sanctions that were passed down to them really doesn't hurt the school at all, but takes away the state medals that kids could have earned.

Wyoming Seminary obviously recruits, and is allowed to do so wresting the prep league. I think the solution is simple, if you get caught with illegitimate transfers or recruits or whatever you want to call them, you get pushed into the prep league. I use PIAA football as an example. Aliquippa is already playing up a few classes by choice, they've done so well, the PIAA wanted to bump them up an other class due to a point system. Why can't this type of thing be done in wrestling?

I'm not saying they should force any AA team up in class due to success, but I think they should be able to force a team into the prep league if it is deemed someone transferred before the grace period with athletic intent.
Essentially this is exactly what PIAA did to McCort. McCort refused to play along, would rather act martyred than compete at Preps with Seminary and Malvern and Blair.

Also, as someone with absolutely no rooting interest in D7 or D11: D7 schools have had their share of transfers too. Offhand, likely an incomplete list: Waynesburg currently; Canon Mac and Franklin Regional recently.

Point being it's relatively common across PA. I support pushing borderless schools into Preps or into a new PIAA classification, but harbor no illusion about the rest of the state.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbldoofus
I liked some of Scott Greene's recent words on this topic (nothing new here, but nice to see agreement from a former Sem coach):

Scott Green is the real deal. This issue or problem will never go away unless there is multiple divisions. PIAA is quickly losing all creditability by allowing some schools (D11) to do what ever they want. If you took all the best kids from Central Pa and assembled a mega team they would have a chance too.
Back in the day, Bison Legend could of competed with Red Hawk and Dark knights. Could you imagine if YGs in D7 was to form an all star team. I don’t know their District Chair but he definitely is a snake like D11.

I don't know the answer to what the solution is on the team concept. BECA has declared up to AAA for last few years. They can't do anymore than that. Saucon Valley declared up in the 1970s and still won AAA team title. What causes the District 11 situation to be glaring is basically 2 reasons.
Number 1; The overall talent of the area creates a constant recruiting situation when the wrestler reaches 7th or 8th grade. District 11 strength of wrestling is probably within a 20 mile radius, a kid can transfer to another Public school without uprooting the family. Example: Parents claim they are separating and getting divorced. (Paperwork is part of the process).Dad gets an apartment in preferred school district. His son "lives" with him at that address. 3-4 years later mom and dad "reconcile". Sometimes Grandparents live in the preferred district and that avenue is used.
Number 2; The kids that come in from outside the area are here typically to get recognized for college recruiting. The District gets a lot of visibility among college coaches. Parents know this and will reach out to some programs. Some of the talent comes from New Jersey which is a stone's throw from the District.
Example . Father/Mother of wrestler is working virtually from home. Their son is at a below average wrestling program in Warren County. They sell their house at NJ rate for 700k, buy similar house in Nazareth School district for 500k. Kid now has more opportunity to improve and be recognized.
I really don't have issue with the above situation. Where it becomes a problem is when an out of state kid is going to a PA private school. It's a huge problem in PIAA football with some of the private schools in Philadelphia area (Ex. St. Joe's & LaSalle)

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to what the solution is on the team concept. BECA has declared up to AAA for last few years. They can't do anymore than that. Saucon Valley declared up in the 1970s and still won AAA team title. What causes the District 11 situation to be glaring is basically 2 reasons.
Number 1; The overall talent of the area creates a constant recruiting situation when the wrestler reaches 7th or 8th grade. District 11 strength of wrestling is probably within a 20 mile radius, a kid can transfer to another Public school without uprooting the family. Example: Parents claim they are separating and getting divorced. (Paperwork is part of the process).Dad gets an apartment in preferred school district. His son "lives" with him at that address. 3-4 years later mom and dad "reconcile". Sometimes Grandparents live in the preferred district and that avenue is used.
Number 2; The kids that come in from outside the area are here typically to get recognized for college recruiting. The District gets a lot of visibility among college coaches. Parents know this and will reach out to some programs. Some of the talent comes from New Jersey which is a stone's throw from the District.
Example . Father/Mother of wrestler is working virtually from home. Their son is at a below average wrestling program in Warren County. They sell their house at NJ rate for 700k, buy similar house in Nazareth School district for 500k. Kid now has more opportunity to improve and be recognized.
I really don't have issue with the above situation. Where it becomes a problem is when an out of state kid is going to a PA private school. It's a huge problem in PIAA football with some of the private schools in Philadelphia area (Ex. St. Joe's & LaSalle)
Hartmen is the key to the D11 mega teams. No team does that in Central PA and the Western side of the state doesn’t condone it. Hartmen D11 man of the year award

I just called my friend from Boswell. He got the scoop. Dustin Flynn was from Brockway and transfers to fh. Forcellini is central Cambria and wrestles for FH.
Chestnut has Moore brothers from Hyndman, a kid from Holidaysburg and Maul from Somerset. He is a little stud my friend said. Somersets best wrestler.
He said he heard mccort is still trying to get into prep or even dropping out of the PIAA in wrestling which makes no sense to do that.
There is a new league forming up there and no one wants McCort, FH or Chestnut in the league because of all the transfers
People from Boswell are crazy….they just are. They hate losing and hate Ridge and Berlin who have regularly beat them out of D5 championships. Be careful that you’re getting the entire story when talking to your buddy. Btw, ask your buddy if he had a problem with North Stars (Boswell) and D5s greatest wrestler of all time wrestling for the cougars. Or did he forget Nick Roberts co opted in from Shade Central City to start then moved in eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: PAgeologist
Hartmen is the key to the D11 mega teams. No team does that in Central PA and the Western side of the state doesn’t condone it. Hartmen D11 man of the year award
It’s funny you mention Hartman. He was heavily involved in the case against McCourt. According to reports in the Altoona paper Piaa called in a high profile D11 coach to testify against transfers.

My point exactly- he lets everything fly in his district but then pushes against this in District 7. I am shocked others don’t see this. He must have something on Lombardi. Do I think D11 wrestling is outstanding, yes absolutely. But there is no way they should have the top two teams in AA and AAA without letting transfers happen often. So basically he is saying it’s ok in my district but No way in other districts. Let Pittsburgh central Catholic do this or remember when Shady Side Academy was around?
Faith Academy will be taking over AA here real soon. They will be the Bethlehem Catholic of AA. Collect every kids, form a mega team and destroy everyone.

As far as Boswell. I had no idea Nick Robert’s went to a different school. That’s interesting. I just remembered him vs Zain Train.

It’s funny you mention Hartman. He was heavily involved in the case against McCourt. According to reports in the Altoona paper Piaa called in a high profile D11 coach to testify against transfers.

Darn and serious Crowell was in that article talking about how he is against transfers. What a joke. That’s actually crazy the PIAA allows that to happen. It’s clear Nazareth had the kid from Easton and the two from East Stroudsburg. Without those three no way they are in the finals. Hartmen wins again! Crowell doesn’t agree with transfers,,,,, unless they are coming to my program

My point exactly- he lets everything fly in his district but then pushes against this in District 7. I am shocked others don’t see this. He must have something on Lombardi. Do I think D11 wrestling is outstanding, yes absolutely. But there is no way they should have the top two teams in AA and AAA without letting transfers happen often. So basically he is saying it’s ok in my district but No way in other districts. Let Pittsburgh central Catholic do this or remember when Shady Side Academy was around?
Faith Academy will be taking over AA here real soon. They will be the Bethlehem Catholic of AA. Collect every kids, form a mega team and destroy everyone.

As far as Boswell. I had no idea Nick Robert’s went to a different school. That’s interesting. I just remembered him vs Zain Train.
Yeah a hs buddy and teammate of mine was Nicks coach at N.S. Coincidentally enough, he’s now an asst coach down at Ridge. But yeah, Nick lived out in Shade school district. Can’t remember the specifics of it all but think the family did eventually move into the NS boundary.

Edit. Think I remember what people were complaining about now. Shade had a poor wrestling program so the family moved up the road into NS school district so Nick could go there. If not mistaken, I think Shade did eventually drop their program and co opted with NS anyway.

Last edited:
I personally thought Warrior Run was going to take 3rd at District. They wrestled Benton tough. I think they are a year or two away. Young on Varsity and their JH was really tough.
That's awesome. Wonder who is running the junior high program

That's awesome. Wonder who is running the junior high program
Brandon Stokes (HC) and Christian Wachter.

Good to see Stokes recovered from getting planted by Cassar a couple years ago.

Seriously: Stokes was a HS 174 low podium guy at AA states who moved up to HWT in college and beat out a national recruit. There's a lot for youth wrestlers to learn from someone like him.

Last edited:
Brandon Stokes (HC) and Christian Wachter.

Good to see Stokes recovered from getting planted by Cassar a couple years ago.

Seriously: Stokes was a HS 174 low podium guy at AA states who moved up to HWT in college and beat out a national recruit. There's a lot for youth wrestlers to learn from someone like him.
I thought watts would be there forever and Smythe those two have coached for decades.

Your comment about Faith Academy might be valid but don't forget BECA has chosen to wrestle up at AAA.
As I noted ,the ease for a kid to transfer and not move dramatically out of the area is why it happens in District 11 so much.

As I stated, it's easier to transfer within District 11 because of the logistics. As I mentioned if a father / mother rent or buy a house in another school district and the kid claims he wants to switch schools because of academics or conflict with teacher or other students the transfer will be allowed in most cases. School Districts live in fear of potential problems brought on by unhappy parent/ student. Me and you know it's a sports transfer but Hartman and School Districts don't want the concern of a hoorific situation.
Keep in mind not all transfers are approved for immediate eligibility. I believe Crookham was not allowed by PIAA to compete last year. It maybe will cost the kid a chance to be a 4 timer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT