ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Yep. Was so much better than the current format
For watching, agreed.

For the wrestlers, probably not. Especially the AAA wrestlers, who had to get up early for weigh-ins Saturday morning, semis started around 8:30 am, then they sat around all day. Finals started at 7 pm and would often run past 10 pm.

Reactions: flyinorvi
Lafayette for football
Figured as much.
Where is Kinney going?
My nephew talked his father this past weekend.
His son had a lot of offers, including Penn State for football and/or wrestling. Not sure of scholarship situation from PSU. Dad said he just wanted to stay close to home and loved football more than wrestling. He actually had to cut weight the past year .

Reactions: hlstone
Wait. He could have came to PSU for football and picked Lafayette?
Pretty sure Franklin offered him preferred walk-on. Kinney had a long road ahead of him to get onto the field at PSU.

Here is his football offer list. He wasn't being recruited by schools at PSU's level.

Also Cael could not give him a dime since that would count as a full ride against football.

Reactions: Ski
Pretty sure Franklin offered him preferred walk-on. Kinney had a long road ahead of him to get onto the field at PSU.

Here is his football offer list. He wasn't being recruited by schools at PSU's level.

Also Cael could not give him a dime since that would count as a full ride against football.
I know there was speculation here that he’d play football at James Madison, and he committed to Lafayette pretty soon after Cignetti left JMU for Indiana. It also seems like Penn State is the only school he considered wrestling for, otherwise was set to play football. He’s no slouch - two time All State pick on the offensive line. Probably will play DT at Lafayette. But isn’t the kind of raw athlete that can play in the trenches at Penn State. Like wrestling, really technical, high motor.

It’s interesting watching him wrestle some of the big time football recruits, Max Roy, Brett Clatterbaugh from this year - Kinney clearly isn’t as explosive as either, but his short area quickness seems better, and he’s got such good balance and wrestling IQ that he just dominates those kids. I don’t know how much higher his ceiling would be as a wrestler, but I think his floor would be very high.

I know there was speculation here that he’d play football at James Madison, and he committed to Lafayette pretty soon after Cignetti left JMU for Indiana. It also seems like Penn State is the only school he considered wrestling for, otherwise was set to play football. He’s no slouch - two time All State pick on the offensive line. Probably will play DT at Lafayette. But isn’t the kind of raw athlete that can play in the trenches at Penn State. Like wrestling, really technical, high motor.

It’s interesting watching him wrestle some of the big time football recruits, Max Roy, Brett Clatterbaugh from this year - Kinney clearly isn’t as explosive as either, but his short area quickness seems better, and he’s got such good balance and wrestling IQ that he just dominates those kids. I don’t know how much higher his ceiling would be as a wrestler, but I think his floor would be very high.
Wrestling-wise he's the 5th Nevills brother, and IMO his college results would be comparable.

NHSCA

Bradley Wagner just shocked Rothermal. Two promising freshmen. Gavin Green barely losses to Music. Pa freshmen are a lot deeper than I thought. Nicky singer from Faith is a problem. He would have easily placed at PIAA. They could be the best PIAA of all time the next two years.
Brandt Harer could end up being better than Conner, which is incredible to think. Gage Wentzel into the finals. District 4 please stand up.

Brock, you need to take a breather. As much as I love to see kids from areas like district 4 in PA succeed, put the breaks on for many of these kids and let them develop. Keeping in mind we're still in the Covid year period, district 4 had a whopping 1 qualifier to D1 nationals this season. He went 1-2. It's not even a remote comparison to some other districts in PA with similar numbers.

Seamus, be patient. This is a special group starting with Conner. Take this one to the bank Mr GQuaker

Lol. I've heard this for many years. The reality is success in small school central PA in district 4 hasn't correlated with big time success except on fewer occasions than initially expected at a particular time historically. Don't act like it's a Renaissance. I've been around and doing this at a very high level as a competitor and coach, but I would still like to see you be correct in the long run.

Was there some discussion on the board about the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic?

Used to be a pretty big event when known as Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic

Notable performances?

Reactions: danoftw
Was there some discussion on the board about the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic?

Used to be a pretty big event when known as Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic

Notable performances?
Yes, here:

Reactions: royboy
Seamus, be patient. This is a special group starting with Conner. Take this one to the bank Mr GQuaker
Special?

Which of these guys is gonna be another Nate Brown or even a Ryan Preisch? Let alone a Zain.

Before you say Harer: Rutgers.

Even so, Brown + Preisch does not make a "special" cycle for an entire PIAA District.

Wagner and Rothermel split matches this year in their two meetings. Not a shock at all. Rothermel got dominated my the smaller Oneil when they met right before the season also. Both kids are very good though. 114 and 121 was loaded with talent. Smith and Seidel were clearly on different levels from there competition.

Reactions: dicemen99
The 2 Super Private schools have special groups but D4 has had the most placers in AA around 8 of the last 10 years and going further back im sure its more of the same. This year they were in 2nd by 2.

Reactions: BrockBronson
The 2 Super Private schools have special groups but D4 has had the most placers in AA around 8 of the last 10 years and going further back im sure its more of the same. This year they were in 2nd by 2.
True. This conversation was about elite talent and no one from D4 took out an NCAA champ this weekend.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Lol. I've heard this for many years. The reality is success in small school central PA in district 4 hasn't correlated with big time success except on fewer occasions than initially expected at a particular time historically. Don't act like it's a Renaissance. I've been around and doing this at a very high level as a competitor and coach, but I would still like to see you be correct in the long run.
Ever hear of the Zain Train!

Let’s see how these D4 pan out. We are stronger than ever. Chill men,

Ever hear of the Zain Train!

Let’s see how these D4 pan out. We are stronger than ever. Chill men,
Brock, love your enthusiasm but over-the-top comparisons strain credibility. D4 has no wrestlers capable of winning Cadet Worlds in their JR year.

Several of these guys should be competent D1 starters, and maybe some reach the podium. Then again, I thought the same about 2x state champ Sheldon Seymour (true story: he beat Levi at states), and he's now buried on Lehigh's bench unless he transfers or Stanich shirts.

Last edited:
Brock, love your enthusiasm but over-the-top comparisons strain credibility. D4 has no wrestlers capable of winning Cadet Worlds in their JR year.

Several of these guys should be competent D1 starters, and maybe some reach the podium. Then again, I thought the same about 2x state champ Sheldon Seymour (true story: he beat Levi at states), and he's now buried on Lehigh's bench unless he transfers or Stanich shirts.
You definitely got a point here. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking.

True. He’s from North Carolina.
Jax has been living in Jtown since he was in 7th grade, it'd be hard for NC to claim cultivating his success at this point. Bo was born in Jtown, if that is the only metric used to determine "local", then he also beat an NCAA Champ this week in Ashnault. Handily.

Jax has been living in Jtown since he was in 7th grade, it'd be hard for NC to claim cultivating his success at this point. Bo was born in Jtown, if that is the only metric used to determine "local", then he also beat an NCAA Champ this week in Ashnault. Handily.
Jax was always good, but I would not have bet more than lunch on him becoming equal to or better than Bo as a recruit prior to his move to PA. There a a lot of cases where I think PA might get a bit to much credit for a transplant, but Jax is not one of them. He jumped levels every year since moving here.

Very true. I was just being a smart ass. Forest Hilks would’ve had a very special group of homegrown talent without all the funny business that went on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT