ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

I wouldn't mind going back and doing another 4 years...
They might feel differently.

how-do-you-do-fellow-kids-steve-buscemi.gif

Disagree. PIAA's most important mission is protecting the health of the student athletes. The likelihood of injury is greatest for a fully mature 19-yo super senior playing against a 14-yo freshman, in many if not all sports.
Hmmm, maybe thats why the parents of that 14 y-o you allude too wanted to hold their child out in the first place.

That won't happen. PIAA will interpret that as a completed year.

Maybe PIAA will grant waivers for lengthy hospitalizations. Maybe. If you're a parent or oach, you're not relying on PIAA to grant waivers regardless of circumstance -- especially flunking.

The bigger issue is if this drives kids out of state or to preps. Probably low risk for the Olympic sports. Football and Basketball, say hi to IMG Academy.
At least they wont be driving too Illinois. They are trying too enforce an 365 day suspension for ANY HS student athlete who gets caught working out with ANY college athlete, YEAR ROUND! This includes camps!!
I would post the article if I had paid better attention in skool. Anyway, saw it on Hwt.Nation.

Disagree. PIAA's most important mission is protecting the health of the student athletes. The likelihood of injury is greatest for a fully mature 19-yo super senior playing against a 14-yo freshman, in many if not all sports.
This new rule will do absolutely nothing to help with this situation. Parents will just hold their kids back in 6th grade or earlier. It will not change a thing.

Reactions: hlstone
This new rule will do absolutely nothing to help with this situation. Parents will just hold their kids back in 6th grade or earlier. It will not change a thing.
They'll have to hold back in 5th or earlier.

Elementary school athletic withholds -- possible but won't be rampant. Not that many Stevo Poulin types out there

Reactions: nikko57
They'll have to hold back in 5th or earlier.

Elementary school athletic withholds -- possible but won't be rampant. Not that many Stevo Poulin types out there
You are folling yourself. The majority of kids stay back in elementary school now. They don't wait to Junior High anymore.

This is unreal. I coached youth wrestling for 20 years, hundreds of kids, and not one of them pulled this stunt. Faith Christian Academy has like 9 freshmen starters. What would their grade level have been if they played it straight?
When I was young, one team had a 103 pounder who was covered in hair --- his back, his neck, like everywhere. Nobody wanted to wrestle him. We all thought he was 25 years old. If it were today, we may have been right.

You are folling yourself. The majority of kids stay back in elementary school now. They don't wait to Junior High anymore.
If the majority do, then there is little safety concern.

In which case, what is the situation that requires regulatory change?

If the majority do, then there is little safety concern.

In which case, what is the situation that requires regulatory change?
Lmao. You know what I meant. The majority of kids that stay back, stay back in elementary school. Ever here of "am just gonna send my kid to kindergarten a year later." Happens all the time around my parts.

This is unreal. I coached youth wrestling for 20 years, hundreds of kids, and not one of them pulled this stunt. Faith Christian Academy has like 9 freshmen starters. What would their grade level have been if they played it straight?
When I was young, one team had a 103 pounder who was covered in hair --- his back, his neck, like everywhere. Nobody wanted to wrestle him. We all thought he was 25 years old. If it were today, we may have been right.
Honestly it seems like the normal for most high level kids in PA, NJ and Ohio. Faith academy kids are all held back but so is Mcort, Bethlehem Catholic, Etc. It was easy for them to use Covid as the excuse. Do college care or frown upon this

The best PA wrestlers right now are all held back: Perry, Simcox, Forest, Gibson, Desmond, Harer, Harer, Welsh, Church, Basset. The next group coming in is the same with Bachman, Sidun, Almedina, oneil

I never understood why some of the elite wrestlers would get held back, Bassett for instance was ready to compete right away. He’s not going to get challenged his senior year so might as well be competing in college at that point.

I could see some other kids that may be on the fringe or maybe too small for 106. But if you are ready to start competing for state titles as a freshman, why delay it another year?

I never understood why some of the elite wrestlers would get held back, Bassett for instance was ready to compete right away. He’s not going to get challenged his senior year so might as well be competing in college at that point.

I could see some other kids that may be on the fringe or maybe too small for 106. But if you are ready to start competing for state titles as a freshman, why delay it another year?
Don't know when Bo got held back. Maybe he started kindergarten a year later before they knew what a beast he'd become.

Don't know when Bo got held back. Maybe he started kindergarten a year later before they knew what a beast he'd become.
LOL my mom wanted me to repeat kindergarden but the teach said I would be fine after I left as she loved and spoiled me bringing me toys almost every day.I still remember her!I guess I was just so cute!!

Reactions: danoftw
LOL my mom wanted me to repeat kindergarden but the teach said I would be fine after I left as she loved and spoiled me bringing me toys almost every day.I still remember her!I guess I was just so cute!!
I'm usually against parents thinking they know more than the teacher.

I'm gonna reevaluate my opinion on that.... :)

Reactions: danoftw
Lmao. You know what I meant. The majority of kids that stay back, stay back in elementary school. Ever here of "am just gonna send my kid to kindergarten a year later." Happens all the time around my parts.
There's a big difference between starting school a year later and being held back at some point in Jr High. Starting school a year late is likely due to growth and development of the child. Nobody knows how good of an athlete a kid will be at age 5. Being a successful student and held back anyway in Jr High is very likely athletically driven.

There's a big difference between starting school a year later and being held back at some point in Jr High. Starting school a year late is likely due to growth and development of the child. Nobody knows how good of an athlete a kid will be at age 5. Being a successful student and held back anyway in Jr High is very likely athletically driven.
This is the normal now. Do college coaches frown upon this? Do they have a preference if the kid is 18 vs 19? Do they shy away if the kid is held back? I agree just wrestle and being held back in my day you got made fun of. No one ever wanted to repeat a grade.

I do t k ow for sure but I would imagine a 17 year old senior put next to a 19 year old senior with the same credentials, college coaches would tend to go with the 17 year old as they have more of an upwards trajectory as opposed to a 19 year old who may already be maxed out physically.

I do t k ow for sure but I would imagine a 17 year old senior put next to a 19 year old senior with the same credentials, college coaches would tend to go with the 17 year old as they have more of an upwards trajectory as opposed to a 19 year old who may already be maxed out physically.
I wouldn't disagree with that. I'm sure coaches are careful in their evaluations. With only 9.9 to go around, you can't afford to be wrong too many times amd stay a top team.

But some things are just beyond anyone's control, like late growth spurts. If you need a 125 guy, do you take the 19 year old that is more likely to be done growing?

With so many variables, it's amazing Cael has so many successes. I can't think of any of his high level recruits that I would consider busts.

It's one of many factors. The older kid typically is closer to his max athletic development. But there are so many other factors, especially mental/emotional maturity and true love of the sport.

So now parents will tell their kid to purposefully fail their classes? If you pass your classes, your penalized but if you fall, you keep your eligibility? I don’t like the message that sends
I just read an article that athletes in pa who get held back in eighth grade will lose a year of eligibility. It only applies to kids in sixth grade with now. This would put a damper on kids trying to gain what the piaa stated was a red shirt year for high school athletes

Bassett was held back in middle school, pretty sure he repeated 7th grade. My guess was to keep him closer in grade to his brother and cousin Melvin Miller so they have an extra year together to compete on the same team. Miller wrestled Gill in the finals of PJWs years back, Gill is a junior now, Miller is an 8th grader!

It sounds like so many kids are being held back, that by the time they get to HS, they're all older than their normal grade level. Net result: zero sum.

It sounds like so many kids are being held back, that by the time they get to HS, they're all older than their normal grade level. Net result: zero sum.
I think soon it will be abnormal to have a wrestler not 19. Most of the top pa kids now a days are older. Full beards at Hershey is the new norm

• Haha
Reactions: mcpat
It's one of many factors. The older kid typically is closer to his max athletic development. But there are so many other factors, especially mental/emotional maturity and true love of the sport.
I use to take my daughters to Blair Academy Basketball Camp. Virginia Tech Football coach Frank Beamer had recruited a couple of players and sent a letter that was posted on what he looked for in recruits. One of the major things was, if an athlete played multiple sports. He preferred the multiple sport athlete knowing that they have more upside when concentrating on one sport. The letter was posted trying to get football players to play lacrosse. I knew a very successful high school coach that loved when his kids wrestled. He spoke of teaching footwork and the use of hands. Said they were ideal linebackers.

Last edited:
The vast majority of older 9th and 10th graders right now held back at least once, and quite a few twice. Some started a year late and also held back. It is what it is.

My kids are young for their grades. One was adamantly against holding back and the other not serious about sports.

I talked to a few coaches about this. One in particular said that he prefers older recruits, in large part because it's a school thst does not permit read shirts. He can't have kids develop for a year in the room. Most others didn't have a strong preference. Some try and determine the kid's likely future development, others like that it's easy to project weight classes foe 20 year olds than for 17 year olds.

Personally, my athlete is very happy with his decision to keep moving forward, and so am I. To each their own.

Last edited:

I would assume it just gives the option of having the extra year if it’s needed. Kids can reclassify if they are ready.

It would be cooler if it’s was Bo-win.

I think I remember seeing his full name when he wrestled in worlds. I think they use middle names too.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT