ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

@El-Jefe if you have the time, hope you'll post some comments weight by weight for AAA and AA.

If not, perhaps a few wrestlers or match ups to watch for?

With your expertise, much is expected of you. ;)
Fkattery will get you everywhere!

Funny enough, today was a slow day, so I've started compiling. Hopefully will post T/W, before states starts.

Yeah. Those old timers are the ones who I feel bad for. Those who watched it for years on PCN and now can’t….many having no idea what Flo is or even how to turn on a computer to try to figure out how to watch it.
They're better off -- those who can turn on a computer can't figure out how to watch Flo.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I hate them too.
chappelles-show-the-playa-haters-ball.gif

flos list of wrestlers to watch at pa states
That's not even a start. Missed several ranked #1 or #2 by PA Power, and included some who might not medal.

Pretty funny that there's nobody to watch at AA 126 including last year's runner-up.

Rath is very good.

Stout vs Sasso is going to be fireworks. Austin Johnson vs Robell will be a great final. I was hoping to see Harer vs Arrington but they went different weights. Arrington vs Gibson would of made for a crazy storyline. I think Scotty Johnson would of taken out little Gibson or had a chance.

Rath is very good.

Stout vs Sasso is going to be fireworks. Austin Johnson vs Robell will be a great final. I was hoping to see Harer vs Arrington but they went different weights. Arrington vs Gibson would of made for a crazy storyline. I think Scotty Johnson would of taken out little Gibson or had a chance.
AA 126 while talented isnt all that interesting. The 3 best guys have wrestled each other the last 3 weekends. I expect more of the same. 172 will see a Lear/Lawrence qtr, should be interesting. AA 113 will be a dog fight, honestly don't know which way that one will go. I think Harer rolls.

Reactions: El-Jefe
Rath is very good.

AA 160 is a good weight with returning champ Priest (Pitt commit) and Fargo AA Garcia (Princeton).

But what could've been ...

2x S4 Barnes is at 160 -- last year S4 at 189 -- but hasn't wrestled since a January injury.

And Levi obviously made the right decision.

Reactions: BrockBronson
AA 160 is a good weight with returning champ Priest (Pitt commit) and Fargo AA Garcia (Princeton).

But what could've been ...

2x S4 Barnes is at 160 -- last year S4 at 189 -- but hasn't wrestled since a January injury.

And Levi obviously made the right decision.
I agree Levi made a great choice for sure.

Probably been noted before, but PA-Wrestling.com is an amazing resource. Teams, individuals, tournaments, historical records -- if it has to do with Pennsylvania HS wrestling, they have it.

Believe it originally started for Boyertown HS's wrestling team roughly 20 years ago, and has gone through some different affiliations.

But whoever now runs it, and keeps it updated, does a terrific job.

It's time for me to vent. The PIAA dropped the ball when they hooked up with Flowrestling. It's strictly a money grab for them. They did the same thing by adding a week of football playoffs because the WPIAL threatened to pull out of tournament. It's not what is best for kids or fan base. In football the kids are playing more games than college kids. It also hampers the transition from fall sports to winter sports(wrestling and basketball). To sell out to FLO is just stupid. They should consider the fan base and the dynamics of that base. My father loves high school wrestling and looked forward to listening (legally blind) to it on TV. Most seniors 70 and older do not have the mind set nor the equipment to stream wrestling. The public schools are deeply funded by public money and the idea that States should be on public TV just makes sense.
I'm hoping I can find a radio feed my father can listen to on Google speaker. Years ago 1400am with Dick Hammer would cover States in the Lehigh Valley. I know a radio station out near Pittsburgh also would cover. Hopefully the PIAA didn't sell radio rights.

It's time for me to vent. The PIAA dropped the ball when they hooked up with Flowrestling. It's strictly a money grab for them. They did the same thing by adding a week of football playoffs because the WPIAL threatened to pull out of tournament. It's not what is best for kids or fan base. In football the kids are playing more games than college kids. It also hampers the transition from fall sports to winter sports(wrestling and basketball). To sell out to FLO is just stupid. They should consider the fan base and the dynamics of that base. My father loves high school wrestling and looked forward to listening (legally blind) to it on TV. Most seniors 70 and older do not have the mind set nor the equipment to stream wrestling. The public schools are deeply funded by public money and the idea that States should be on public TV just makes sense.
I'm hoping I can find a radio feed my father can listen to on Google speaker. Years ago 1400am with Dick Hammer would cover States in the Lehigh Valley. I know a radio station out near Pittsburgh also would cover. Hopefully the PIAA didn't sell radio rights.
Can't pay executive rent and salaries in good will.

There you go. All you need is internet. Free.

The Benton boys are holding their own. Granahan looked tough. Lear vs Rune coming soon. Let’s go Nolan.

Who and where did Faith Academy come from. I was at MS States last weekend and they dominated there. Now they have five freshmen here in Hershey. How does these teams come out of no where

Reactions: hlstone
Well that didn’t go so well. Rune Lawerance is the real deal holy cow

Then our D4 Superman almost goes down at HWT. Wouldn’t you know it, some Faith Christian kid. This is getting ridiculous.
I can’t believe people aren’t all over them YET

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310
Well that didn’t go so well. Rune Lawerance is the real deal holy cow

Then our D4 Superman almost goes down at HWT. Wouldn’t you know it, some Faith Christian kid. This is getting ridiculous.
I can’t believe people aren’t all over them YET
Is the Faith Christian kid a PA product? See, if so I don’t know why people want to push top kids out of our individual state tournament. I mean, I get not wanting privates that recruit to be able to compete for team titles but to keep Pennsylvania born and bred kids out of representing our state to me is crazy.

I agree with that. Let those kids wrestle Individuals for sure. No team award for those teams.
The buzz around Hershey is they have kids from other states on the MS team and the PIAA can’t do anything to them cause they are all coming prior to 9th grade. I can tell you from seeing them last Sunday they are loaded in Ms and all then seeing these freshmen the last two days. Move over Green Pond, Ridge and Reynolds. You better get out there recruiting

I agree with that. Let those kids wrestle Individuals for sure. No team award for those teams.
The buzz around Hershey is they have kids from other states on the MS team and the PIAA can’t do anything to them cause they are all coming prior to 9th grade. I can tell you from seeing them last Sunday they are loaded in Ms and all then seeing these freshmen the last two days. Move over Green Pond, Ridge and Reynolds. You better get out there recruiting
These kids come here because they want better competition,and in turn it makes our PA kids better. Keep em out of the team aspect,sure,but as far as indy’s, you should embracing it. Or would you rather the re-locate to Iowa, Ohio,or Michigan?

Mi
Pretty sure you are confusing them with McCort, but what the heck, all's fair when bashing the recruiters with all of you geezers (full disclosure - I'm a geezer as well, but have little issue with what is going on as it's been going on in one form or the other for as long as I can remember). McCort has Bassett (#1 ranked JH kid) and then got the Herring brothers from TN (Sam is #2) and Jax Forrest from NC (#3).

FCA frosh and the HS they would have attended (just guessing, but I'm probably not far off):
Botero - North Penn
Hontz - Spring Ford - dad is on staff I think, ex Upper Perk coach
Max Stein - CBE
Sugalski - P/W - I thought he was going to Malvern but didn't

MS'ers I think are FCA:
The Bachmans - North Penn - Fred (CR '90 or '91) put together the Basement Boyz which is a club that formed out of some kids that were training at Malvern a few years ago. This is the core of the MS kids.
Weidemoyer - Pennridge area
Waters - Pottstown
Davidheiser - Boyertown - older brother was at Hill/Boyertown
Waltenbaugh - I think Souderton - older brother wrestled at FCA graduated last year
Wagner - Probably Souderton as well older brother currently wrestling at FCA

It looks like the Singer kid from CT is now listing FCA - that would be a move in, although it's not unprecedented for New England wrestlers to show up in this area because of the Inter-Ac and if my kid was a great wrestler in CT, he'd likely end up wrestling in PA or NJ.

So, they are mainly made up of kids from the immediate area that trained together coming up - pretty much the exact situation you see at BECA and Notre Dame and has popped up from time to time elsewhere - kids wanting to stay "club" when they enter HS. BECA has been the only place that this has been viable long-term - we'll see about Notre Dame.

This is life in the wrestling world, and kind of always has been. On the bright side, FCA wrestles in the PIAA, so instead of losing southeast PA kids to Malvern, they stay in D1.

Mi

Pretty sure you are confusing them with McCort, but what the heck, all's fair when bashing the recruiters with all of you geezers (full disclosure - I'm a geezer as well, but have little issue with what is going on as it's been going on in one form or the other for as long as I can remember). McCort has Bassett (#1 ranked JH kid) and then got the Herring brothers from TN (Sam is #2) and Jax Forrest from NC (#3).

FCA frosh and the HS they would have attended (just guessing, but I'm probably not far off):
Botero - North Penn
Hontz - Spring Ford - dad is on staff I think, ex Upper Perk coach
Max Stein - CBE
Sugalski - P/W - I thought he was going to Malvern but didn't

MS'ers I think are FCA:
The Bachmans - North Penn - Fred (CR '90 or '91) put together the Basement Boyz which is a club that formed out of some kids that were training at Malvern a few years ago. This is the core of the MS kids.
Weidemoyer - Pennridge area
Waters - Pottstown
Davidheiser - Boyertown - older brother was at Hill/Boyertown
Waltenbaugh - I think Souderton - older brother wrestled at FCA graduated last year
Wagner - Probably Souderton as well older brother currently wrestling at FCA

It looks like the Singer kid from CT is now listing FCA - that would be a move in, although it's not unprecedented for New England wrestlers to show up in this area because of the Inter-Ac and if my kid was a great wrestler in CT, he'd likely end up wrestling in PA or NJ.

So, they are mainly made up of kids from the immediate area that trained together coming up - pretty much the exact situation you see at BECA and Notre Dame and has popped up from time to time elsewhere - kids wanting to stay "club" when they enter HS. BECA has been the only place that this has been viable long-term - we'll see about Notre Dame.

This is life in the wrestling world, and kind of always has been. On the bright side, FCA wrestles in the PIAA, so instead of losing southeast PA kids to Malvern, they stay in D1.
I am good with it, just add the enrollment numbers from every school that they pull from (just like Co-Op schools) and at least they will go against the big boys instead of battling small schools that actually have male enrollments of under 100.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT