ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Clearfield was top AAA team in D9 this year and was undefeated before falling 25-34 to Williamsport. Note: Clearfield will be AA next year due to the new PIAA classifications.

In AA there seemed to be a gap between Brookville and the other D9 AA schools.

Also of note in NW PA......in D10 the returning (8-time and recent 5-time in a row) Team Duals State Champion, Reynolds, lost in the quarters and will not make the trip to Hershey for first time since 2004.
Brady Collins (clfd) is going to do great things before he leaves.. Side note Clearfield’s junior high team is very solid also. Are little town of clearfield, is very proud of those boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: a_mshaffer
I had Crookham's years switched in the other thread. He's back in time for the postseason.

Depending on his postseason weight (he was at 138 today, but not sure if he'll go 132 in the postseason), there are only 2 guys in PA AA who might test him at all. His former NDGP teammate Brandan Chletsos (Rutgers commit) is at 132; Muncy state finalist Scott Johnson (M2 guy) could be at 132 or 138.

If Crookham is on, he'll win states either way.

Clearfield has always been AA and opted up. Seems like they are staying down next cycle. Off topic question, is there a religious reason a lot of the Chestnut Ridge kids wear leggings and short sleeves or a fade that hangs on through the years with their kids??

Clearfield has always been AA and opted up. Seems like they are staying down next cycle. Off topic question, is there a religious reason a lot of the Chestnut Ridge kids wear leggings and short sleeves or a fade that hangs on through the years with their kids??
always meaning the last few years or the past 80 (since the start of aaa and aa)?

I’ve been going through my Topps 1964-1967 old baseball cards. Several hall of famers in pretty good shape. 4+ cigar boxes full of cards. Any advice on how to get appropriate value without investing dozens/hundreds of hours?
Consider sending them to a 3rd party sports auction house.
Here are two I highly trust - both will list your cards if you dont want to spend the time & money to get them graded.

Reactions: PSUNAV
Having lived in the school district and having children graduate from Ridge....and having a business in Bedford.....I can tell you that Ridge, Bedford and Claysburg have many kids with the same last names....and not unusual that some have the same first as well. A lot of the same last names spread out through all 3 districts....even into Northern Bedford as well. Many extended families in the area :).
Thought there was a family tree going straight up joke coming.

I’ve been going through my Topps 1964-1967 old baseball cards. Several hall of famers in pretty good shape. 4+ cigar boxes full of cards. Any advice on how to get appropriate value without investing dozens/hundreds of hours?
Well....normally I would have said send them out to be professionally graded.....but no more. Last year mid Covid.....spurred by the Pokemon craze and resulting foreign card investors....PSA was overwhelmed with cards....millions. They raised their rates to 25.00...then 50.00...and now 100.00/card. They are still swamped. Same day service is 1000.00 per card and people are paying it. I know people who sent cards in 13 months ago and haven't got a single card back. I just started selling again on Ebay. Got a good scanner...put pics on and set an opening bid. Sold almost all of my 86-87 Fleer basketball in a week. Really nice cards bring good $. I got some good magnifiers just so I don't waste time with wrinkles or rough corners. Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUNAV
OH....get a Beckett Baseball guide. Topps always made a 3rd series..also called High numbers. They made less of them. Sometimes a High Number Nobody will bring 10-20-30.00 because some people need them to fill sets....so check the values for High # "Commons" Surprisingly they often bring the high book value because of need where others you are lucky to get 30-40% of book

Yes.....Tom Ryan bought all the tanning beds :)

Over half the young kids who wrestle at Tulsa won't ever wrestle in HS. I vowed to never take my kid back. It looks like a training video for what constitutes child abuse. We went twice, getting 2nd and 1st. The kid we beat in the finals got drug to the corner and screamed at for 20 minutes. His dad literally asked him if he was a fa*ot. Way to young to push most kids that hard. just not the environment I want my kids in.
You using the word we in these messages is ironic.

TJ Sebolt is in year 12 or 13 with his cub. They are hardly just getting started in college. He had high school kids in 2010. He expanded his strategy and started taking in more and more already developed kids who were already very good before training with him. He is an excellent coach, but he isn't new to the game. The next 5-6 years will tell the story from a success stand point with his methods. Much of his coaching involves superior hand fighting and conditioning advantages which may be a little harder to keep long term. I expect mixed results like most high end club guys. Drake hitting the mat for Iowa is interesting to me in I'm curious to see if he ends up being just really good (3-4X AA) or a dominant champion. The kid is a stud but is there more room to grow or is he near his peak?
There is only one way to find his full potential. Go to Penn State.

Jake Herbert recently said his biggest regret was not going to Penn State and he said the difference between him and Varner was Cael and he has to live with that difference the rest of his life.

Jake Herbert recently said his biggest regret was not going to Penn State and he said the difference between him and Varner was Cael and he has to live with that difference the rest of his life.

Honestly highschool kids live in some pretty small bubbles, but I don't know why the most elite kids at every weight don't see this. I wonder who is advising them as well.

I think 2 out if the 3 tOSU best class ever will have similar thoughts when all is said and done. Feldman will do great anywhere he goes IMO

Regarding the Ridge kids... Yes, their is a portion of the population there that do not wear shorts or anything above their knees (maybe lower???), and it is for religious reasons. They will also wear a T shirt beneath their singlet.

The women in that religion will only wear a dress or a special loose fitting pants, including sports uniforms. I can't remember the women ever wearing regular jeans. One of the nicest, sincerest and prettiest girls I went to HS with was in that religion. I would have ran though the brick wall of the school if she had any interest in going out with me. She was way above my league though.

I can't remember their particular religious affiliation, but having closely grown up with them I can say their dress code the only "odd" or different thing about them. It's not some strange cult or anything like that.

Reactions: jpsolo
Honestly highschool kids live in some pretty small bubbles, but I don't know why the most elite kids at every weight don't see this. I wonder who is advising them as well.

I think 2 out if the 3 tOSU best class ever will have similar thoughts when all is said and done. Feldman will do great anywhere he goes IMO
Any team can only put out 10 guys at a time. Plus the 9.9 restrictions. Even if in the best of cases every top kid wanted to go to PSU, there is only room for so many.

Plus these kids are fans of wrestling also, not everyone is a PSU fan and their families may not be either.

Factor in international goals with the above and you get some parity in a big arms race.

Brady Collins (clfd) is going to do great things before he leaves.. Side note Clearfield’s junior high team is very solid also. Are little town of clearfield, is very proud of those boys.
Is the Collins kid Scott's?

There is only one way to find his full potential. Go to Penn State.

When Jake was graduating from North Allegheny Troy was coaching Penn State, Bobby Douglas was coaching Iowa State and Cael was Bobby's assistant.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Clearfield has not always been a AA school. In the 70s and 80s Clearfield was a fairly large rural school district. Not exactly sure of population numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if Clearfield's k-12 2022 population is half of 1980's.

OH....get a Beckett Baseball guide. Topps always made a 3rd series..also called High numbers. They made less of them. Sometimes a High Number Nobody will bring 10-20-30.00 because some people need them to fill sets....so check the values for High # "Commons" Surprisingly they often bring the high book value because of need where others you are lucky to get 30-40% of book
Thanks, definitely have nice high number cards. Appreciate the advice!

Clearfield has not always been a AA school. In the 70s and 80s Clearfield was a fairly large rural school district. Not exactly sure of population numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if Clearfield's k-12 2022 population is half of 1980's.
Based on PIAA website, continually through 2016-2017 Clearfield enrollment placed them well above AAA classification parameter. 2018-19 and 2020-21 they fell just below and opted up. They had a drastic drop off in numbers projected for 2022-23.

When Jake was graduating from North Allegheny Troy was coaching Penn State, Bobby Douglas was coaching Iowa State and Cael was Bobby's assistant.
Herberts career didn’t start and stop in college. I think he was referring to afterwards, but thanks for the fact check.

Herberts career didn’t start and stop in college. I think he was referring to afterwards, but thanks for the fact check.
At the time I was hoping Herbert would go to PSU, but was told there was no way in hell he was coming here. I figured a couple national titles and a NW degree he had made a good choice for himself.
The year Cael came out of retirement he beat out Jake for the USA team spot.

With that all said, Jake was damn good but wrestling for Cael probably would have made a significant difference. Jake Herbert wrestled 84 kg and Jake Varner wrestled 96 Kg. If Herbert had shown interest in training at PSU they would have found room at the in.

I only ever remember Clearfield being AAA.

Reactions: danoftw
LOL, I was just about to post the same thing.
@El-Jefe any interest in possibly renaming this thread either Recruiting News or PA High School Wrestling Info, and then starting a 2nd new thread? A few of us think the 2 topics should be separated and deserve their own thread. Thanks...

Thank you. Thought for sure they were one of the schools that always opted up, they have been but mustn’t have been as long as I thought.

Reactions: d-1980
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT