ADVERTISEMENT

PA H.S Playoffs ..... Championship Games Belle Vernon over Northwestern Lehigh 38-7 Q.Martin with 92 yard run....

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
It was an old PCC game on the broadcast. Why would they broadcast an old game when there are games being played tonight.

Some scores:

Ft. Cherry 33, Matt Sieg, soph (PSU offer) 9 of 16 for 138, and 34 rushes for 258 and 4 TD's
Redbank Valley 23

Belle Vernon 42, Martin (#1 in PA and PSU commit) 8 rushes for 65 yds and 1 TD, 5 catches for 70 yds and 1 TD
Hickory 16

Alliquippa 52, Tiqwai Hayes (2025 PSU RB commit) 13 carries for 168 yds and 2 TD's)
Selinsgrove 32

Peters Township 14
Cocalico 9

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
On the PCN Networks…. A Pa public broadcasting network.

Coming up next…. The Mighty Quinn, a top PSU recruit, of Belle Vernon HS going for second straight state title.

Sieg and Ft. Cheery were overmatched, but Sieg showed he is a very good athlete.

Aliquippa is just getting started but looked pretty unstopable on their first posession going 91 yards for a TD and 2 pt conversion for an 8-zip lead.

They said the 2 Dallas Safety's have 20 INT's between them for the season but I doubt the Quips put it in the air much as they seem to be running right through them so far. The Quips did score their TD on a long pass after running effectively and drawing the Dallas defense up to try and stop the run.

Hays just scored the Quipps 2nd TD after Lindsey had a powerful run. Then another 2 pt conversion for a 16-0 lead still in the first quarter.

Sieg and Ft. Cheery were overmatched, but Sieg showed he is a very good athlete.

Aliquippa is just getting started but looked pretty unstopable on their first posession going 91 yards for a TD and 2 pt conversion for an 8-zip lead.

They said the 2 Dallas Safety's have 20 INT's between them for the season but I doubt the Quips put it in the air much as they seem to be running right through them so far. The Quips did score their TD on a long pass after running effectively and drawing the Dallas defense up to try and stop the run.

Hays just scored the Quipps 2nd TD after Lindsey had a powerful run. Then another 2 pt conversion for a 16-0 lead still in the first quarter.
Sieg is a fantastic athlete, and as of now I would say he’s a Penn State lock. His dad grew up in State College and the kid loves it up here. As for his team though, they were overmatched, and the best player on the field was the other quarterback. I would expect that he will get every opportunity to play right away at the Naval Academy.

Reactions: 81b&w
Sieg is a fantastic athlete, and as of now I would say he’s a Penn State lock. His dad grew up in State College and the kid loves it up here. As for his team though, they were overmatched, and the best player on the field was the other quarterback. I would expect that he will get every opportunity to play right away at the Naval Academy.
His dad is Doug. GREAT guy. Solid as they come.

40-14 at the half, with Aliquippa having run for 288 yards in the first half.

Now 53-14 midway thru the 3rd with a running clock from here on out......

Aliquippa take too many penalties but they're so good it doesn't matter......

The Dallas QB had only thrown 2 INT's this season, I believe they said, but the Quipps have intercepted 5 tonight alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13 and royboy
Steeltown with another state title 2 no 1s real surprise ... just a whole town fulla doods that could get off the mill on a 12'er and still do a rain dance around ya on the courtfeilds. Make ya head Chief look goofy too, head to toe steel roller gray and bluuuuuuue.

Dallas had no chance with the athletes Aliquippa has. It’s a minor miracle a regular school from NEPA even makes it to states these days, as they had a big upset over McDevitt to get there.

Southern 21, Westinghouse 20. I think that is Southern's 332nd state title? Congrats to the Tigers.

Southern 21, Westinghouse 20. I think that is Southern's 332nd state title? Congrats to the Tigers.
Wow, surprised they came back to win. This was a gutty effort by Southern as they are nowhere near as talented as the teams from 4-5 years ago. I think Jim Roth is closing in on 500 career wins.

Reactions: PAgeologist
There’s not, I guess you don’t know what Aliquippa is like. But even if there was, they are already playing up three classes but yet the private schools that do recruit whine and complain and never get moved up into a higher class. That’s how PIAA works
There’s always bitching about private schools recruiting, but many public schools recruit a hell of a lot more than private schools and no one seems to complain about that.

There’s always bitching about private schools recruiting, but many public schools recruit a hell of a lot more than private schools and no one seems to complain about that.
I’m sure it happens some places, but not nearly what you think it does. Especially, not in the Pittsburgh area where Aliquippa is.

I’ve coached football, basketball, baseball, in Pennsylvania and Maryland for 25 years and can tell you that every private school recruits much much harder than the couple public schools that do.

Reactions: Fayette_LION
I’m sure it happens some places, but not nearly what you think it does. Especially, not in the Pittsburgh area where Aliquippa is.

I’ve coached football, basketball, baseball, in Pennsylvania and Maryland for 25 years and can tell you that every private school recruits much much harder than the couple public schools that do.
Exactly right and it ain’t even close

Yep, no recruiting going on there.

Don’t forget, Alliquippa is playing 3 classes UP.
They are playing up because they are forced to by the PIAA due to the number of transfers they bring in, plus their success. I don't know if they recruit them or if the players transfer there on their own. The city league plays lousy football and I'm sure Aliquippa looks pretty good to them.

Seems like the WPIAL is doing very well, not only winning, but dominating.

Seems like the WPIAL is doing very well, not only winning, but dominating.
Actually, it's been feast or famine so far. The Quips in 4A and BV in 3A are dominating. Single A Fort Cherry and Peter's Township in 5A, not so much.

2-2 so far with NA facing national power St. Joe's later today.

Getting 5 teams to the finals is a significant accomplishment for the WPIAL.

They are playing up because they are forced to by the PIAA due to the number of transfers they bring in, plus their success. I don't know if they recruit them or if the players transfer there on their own. The city league plays lousy football and I'm sure Aliquippa looks pretty good to them.
Yeah, they get some transfers but they’re not out recruiting them, this is why some people think that public’s recruit. It’s pretty easy to find housing that’s cheap in Aliquippa or the city and some other districts. If you’re a winning program, sometimes families just figure that they’d rather play for a winning program than one who isn’t and move there.

We won our region back-to-back years in 2009 and 10 and lost in the state finals then the following year we had twins from the neighbor district transfer to our school. They started on the basketball team at their other school and people thought that I had recruited them. In reality, all they did was moved from one section 8 project to a different one that happened to be right behind our school.
I had a long conversation with their dad who said he just wanted them to play for a winner, but he was a little unhappy when I told him that they definitely wouldn’t start and one of them might not even make the team. Dad didn’t like it that his kids went from combining to score 25 points a game as juniors the year before scoring less than 10 a game combined but the kids were certainly happy when we beat their previous school both times we played them that year and ended up with seven more wins than their old school and a trip to the region finals.

The same could be said for private schools, but never is. I’m sure many kids want to play at the private school so they transfer there and aren’t recruited, but the public school fans equate that to recruiting (except when it happens at a public school).

And most of the private schools I know don’t recruit at all, so I’m guessing it’s not nearly what you think either.

And most of the private schools I know don’t recruit at all, so I’m guessing it’s not nearly what you think either.
Where do you live? Obviously it’s not Pennsylvania or Maryland or Ohio, or West Virginia, or Delaware, or New Jersey…..

Forgot let me add Northern Virginia too. Basically every state that I’ve ever coached in, or have a friend who coaches there tells me the same exact thing.

Where do you live? Obviously it’s not Pennsylvania or Maryland or Ohio, or West Virginia, or Delaware, or New Jersey…..

Forgot let me add Northern Virginia too. Basically every state that I’ve ever coached in, or have a friend who coaches there tells me the same exact thing.
I’ve lived in PA, WV and KY (and also coached in two of the three states) and the percentage of private schools really recruiting is small compared to the total number of private schools. I also attended a private school and it didn’t recruit then and doesn’t now. When players transfer to a public school for sports reasons it’s not considered recruiting but when players transfer to a private school for the same reasons, it’s considered recruiting.

I’ve lived in PA, WV and KY (and also coached in two of the three states) and the percentage of private schools really recruiting is small compared to the total number of private schools. I also attended a private school and it didn’t recruit then and doesn’t now. When players transfer to a public school for sports reasons it’s not considered recruiting but when players transfer to a private school for the same reasons, it’s considered recruiting.
What parts of Pennsylvania because when I would play summer league basketball or American Legion baseball in the summer, the local private schools coaching staff would be at the game watching and had no qualms about walking up to my parents to ask if I would transfer. It’s the same thing today. private schools have camps in the summer and they go put camp signs across the street from public school entrances all the time.

The very first year I coached basketball in Maryland. I had a leftover game on the schedule against one of the local private schools, it wasn’t even in the conference. They were a middle of the pac B conference team, and as soon as the game was over. Their coach walked over to find the parents of my point guard and offered them a pamphlet and a financial aid page to try and get their kids to transfer midseason.

Again, there are some public schools that recruit, but I don’t know any private schools that do not actively recruit in the manner that I said previously.

What parts of Pennsylvania because when I would play summer league basketball or American Legion baseball in the summer, the local private schools coaching staff would be at the game watching and had no qualms about walking up to my parents to ask if I would transfer. It’s the same thing today. private schools have camps in the summer and they go put camp signs across the street from public school entrances all the time.

The very first year I coached basketball in Maryland. I had a leftover game on the schedule against one of the local private schools, it wasn’t even in the conference. They were a middle of the pac B conference team, and as soon as the game was over. Their coach walked over to find the parents of my point guard and offered them a pamphlet and a financial aid page to try and get their kids to transfer midseason.

Again, there are some public schools that recruit, but I don’t know any private schools that do not actively recruit in the manner that I said previously.
I only know of one private school in the area where I grew up that recruits. And my son was recruited quite a bit when he was in high school, but it was all by public schools, never a private school. And when you say you don’t know any private schools that don’t recruit, you do realize that most private schools are small, Christian schools that aren’t good in sports, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT