ADVERTISEMENT

PA Duals -- Nazareth beats Beca

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
33-24. First D11 loss for Beca since 2011.

Beca not guaranteed to get out of D11 -- still have to beat a loaded Northampton team in the true 2nd place match.

Reactions: dbldoofus
Although not D11, BECA lost twice in January at the Who's Number One dual tourny. Finished 4th, losing to Malvern Prep and a HS in Florida.
Beca does a good job of recruiting talent in the Lehigh Valley area giving them an advantage over the true public high schools. They aren't quite as good as the other private/parochial programs yet like Wyoming Seminary, Blair Academy etc.
Some other states separate the Parochial /Privates from the publics once the team dual tourny starts.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/varsity...m-catholic-whos-no-1-0122-20170122-story.html

33-24. First D11 loss for Beca since 2011.

Beca not guaranteed to get out of D11 -- still have to beat a loaded Northampton team in the true 2nd place match.

Becahi leads 28-14 following 160 lbs. upcoming is the Cobra Labriola, this is Over and the Golden Hawks are headed to the State Tournanent, joining Nazo.

Forfeit to the Cobra: 34-14 Becahi, that's officially over now

Although not D11, BECA lost twice in January at the Who's Number One dual tourny. Finished 4th, losing to Malvern Prep and a HS in Florida.
Beca does a good job of recruiting talent in the Lehigh Valley area giving them an advantage over the true public high schools. They aren't quite as good as the other private/parochial programs yet like Wyoming Seminary, Blair Academy etc.
Some other states separate the Parochial /Privates from the publics once the team dual tourny starts.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/varsity...m-catholic-whos-no-1-0122-20170122-story.html
Just to correct the comment about Beca losing 2 matches in Duals, both loses were to prep schools. The Nazareth win against Beca last night probably reflected how a match can change on coaches matchups. 2 weeks earlier Beca beat Nazareth 40-20 when Karam got the choices he wanted. Last night Crowell got the matchups he needed.

Cedar Cliff had a good run in D-3, with wins over Chambersburg and long-time powers Cumberland Valley and Central Dauphin; lost to Exeter Twp. in the D-3 finals.

Cedar Cliff had a good run in D-3, with wins over Chambersburg and long-time powers Cumberland Valley and Central Dauphin; lost to Exeter Twp. in the D-3 finals.
Always think of Steve Sefter when I see cedar cliff, certainly one of the smaller hwt at the time (think that was when there was no limit).

Just to correct the comment about Beca losing 2 matches in Duals, both loses were to prep schools. The Nazareth win against Beca last night probably reflected how a match can change on coaches matchups. 2 weeks earlier Beca beat Nazareth 40-20 when Karam got the choices he wanted. Last night Crowell got the matchups he needed.
Just wondering why you felt the need to point that out.

Nazo reversed a few previous close losses, Cerniglia returned, and they won the Flip.[/QUOTE]

Would someone be able to explain the importance of the flip in high school wrestling?
I'm somewhat new to the the sport. Thank you.

Nazo reversed a few previous close losses, Cerniglia returned, and they won the Flip.

Would someone be able to explain the importance of the flip in high school wrestling?
I'm somewhat new to the the sport. Thank you.[/QUOTE]
The winner of the coin toss basically gets to choose who has to send their wrestler to the mat first in alternating weights. If I can see who the other team sends to the mat first, and I don't want my guy to wrestle him/her and can send a different teammate out, perhaps so I can move a guy up, I'll do it. It's a bit of a chess match and for Beca and Nazareth it is a really big deal this year.

You don't see this in college very often.

The coin flip also determines who gets choice at the beginning of the 2nd period. Again...alternating in each weight. This keeps the ref from flipping the disc every match. Years ago it was always flipped for choice.

Does that help?

Reactions: slaterun
Nazo reversed a few previous close losses, Cerniglia returned, and they won the Flip.

Especially in HS wrestling, coaches want to be able to present their wrestler at certain weights, OR they want to force the opposing coach to present their wrestler first at certain weights. Once you check in a wrestler at the head table, they have to wrestle at that weight. The mismatches and moving around of weights is much, much more prominent in HS wrestling than it is in college wrestling. Winning the flip, selecting which weights that you want present at first (odd weights or even weights), can win/lose duals amongst evenly-matched teams.

Reactions: slaterun

If the match is tied after regulation each wrestler must do a flip which the ref grades on a scale of 1 - 10, the wrestler with the highest score / best form on the flip wins the match. I was known for my incredible back flip

Reactions: CropDuster507
Just wondering why you felt the need to point that out.
There is a big difference when you wrestle a prep school compared to traditional high school. I'm a district 11 guy and will always pull for the traditional high school within the district against Beca. Although I do feel Beca gets hammered for being a private school. They declare up a class, AAA. Why they are so good is the location of school within in our district. District 11 has approximately 50 schools of which in wrestling, most of the power is within a 15 mile radius in the Lehigh Valley. In comparison district 7 has 120 schools in a far reaching area. I'm certain their are numerous private schools (I.E. Pittsburgh Catholic) but they don't have the same pool of nearby talent.

There is a big difference when you wrestle a prep school compared to traditional high school. I'm a district 11 guy and will always pull for the traditional high school within the district against Beca. Although I do feel Beca gets hammered for being a private school. They declare up a class, AAA. Why they are so good is the location of school within in our district. District 11 has approximately 50 schools of which in wrestling, most of the power is within a 15 mile radius in the Lehigh Valley. In comparison district 7 has 120 schools in a far reaching area. I'm certain their are numerous private schools (I.E. Pittsburgh Catholic) but they don't have the same pool of nearby talent.
Beca gets hammered for having it both ways -- participating in public leagues while utilizing all the tools of the prep schools. Moving up to AAA was a nice gesture, but it pales in comparison to some obvious athletic selection -- for example, Zeke Moisey went to Beca, brother Cade Moisey to Northampton.

Let me understand that only Beca gets to do what you describe above. The other private schools can't do it. They benefit because of where they located. Allen Central Catholic has not been able to have the success that Beca does in getting the wrestlers. Pittsburgh Central Catholic does it in football,do you have fault with football programs that do it.

Must we do this discussion every year before the postseason? Please don't turn this into a 20 page thread like the football board complaining about private schools, move on.we all should understand what it is at this point, what new points can possibly be made?

I'm somewhat new to the the sport. Thank you.
The winner of the coin toss basically gets to choose who has to send their wrestler to the mat first in alternating weights. If I can see who the other team sends to the mat first, and I don't want my guy to wrestle him/her and can send a different teammate out, perhaps so I can move a guy up, I'll do it. It's a bit of a chess match and for Beca and Nazareth it is a really big deal this year.

You don't see this in college very often.

The coin flip also determines who gets choice at the beginning of the 2nd period. Again...alternating in each weight. This keeps the ref from flipping the disc every match. Years ago it was always flipped for choice.

Does that help?[/QUOTE]

Perfect. Thank you (and c-duster) - very helpful. I read about who gets choice of up or down in the 2nd, but that did not seem to be a huge deal. I can, however, see how the first point you made could be a big deal depending on the exact lineups.

Thanks

Beca gets hammered for having it both ways -- participating in public leagues while utilizing all the tools of the prep schools. Moving up to AAA was a nice gesture, but it pales in comparison to some obvious athletic selection -- for example, Zeke Moisey went to Beca, brother Cade Moisey to Northampton.

I went to Easton back in late 70s, and we had some really good teams. I live in Cincinnati and barely follow the high school wrestling team now, but the last 5 or so years, they have not been very good, correct? Not sure if that is because kids are going to private schools(Beca) or if they just don't have the talent.

Let me understand that only Beca gets to do what you describe above. The other private schools can't do it. They benefit because of where they located. Allen Central Catholic has not been able to have the success that Beca does in getting the wrestlers. Pittsburgh Central Catholic does it in football,do you have fault with football programs that do it.
You said Beca gets hammered for being a private school. That's simply not true.

The fact that other schools do what Beca does, doesn't change the facts.

And I offered no opinion as to whether or not I approve of it. So don't turn it on me.

I went to Easton back in late 70s, and we had some really good teams. I live in Cincinnati and barely follow the high school wrestling team now, but the last 5 or so years, they have not been very good, correct? Not sure if that is because kids are going to private schools(Beca) or if they just don't have the talent.
Easton has been losing the recruiting wars, badly.

Easton has been losing the recruiting wars, badly.
That's what I thought. The football coach at Easton has been blamed for a large number of players going to private schools, although I think Nazareth got a few too over the last 5 years. He's been ousted.

When I commented about Beca getting hammered it wasn't meant necessarily about this forum, but about the public view here in District 11. The same fan base that benefited from getting a outsider to wrestle for them now are the same fans complaining. Nazareth has been more homegrown than some of the other schools. The Hart brothers at Northampton were from Tamaqua. Rodgers from Easton was a NJ kid. Kids even move within the District to wrestle at different schools. Piro went to Easton and Northampton. In back to back years Crivallaro played football for Beca and wrestled for Easton. I can't hate the kids that wrestle for Beca, their Lehigh valley kids. Beca just benefits from being in the best condensed area of wrestling talent in the state.

What NJ has done better is not making the public HS's be in the same conference as the Parochials , nor do they wrestle in the same year end team tourney's. They can beat up upon themselves all they like. Those brave publics that do schedule the parochials as an independent game (FB) or match (wrestling) get extra power points even if they lose.
The way Bergen CAtholic, Don Bosco, St Joes Montvale, DePaul and St Peters recruit in North Jersey you would think it's the Big 10 East.

The South NJ Parochials haven't caught up but Camden Catholic, and St Augustines seem to be ramping it up.

When I commented about Beca getting hammered it wasn't meant necessarily about this forum, but about the public view here in District 11. The same fan base that benefited from getting a outsider to wrestle for them now are the same fans complaining. Nazareth has been more homegrown than some of the other schools. The Hart brothers at Northampton were from Tamaqua. Rodgers from Easton was a NJ kid. Kids even move within the District to wrestle at different schools. Piro went to Easton and Northampton. In back to back years Crivallaro played football for Beca and wrestled for Easton. I can't hate the kids that wrestle for Beca, their Lehigh valley kids. Beca just benefits from being in the best condensed area of wrestling talent in the state.
There is a fair amount of wrestling talent in the WPIAL.
If the YoungGuns wrestling club decided to start a private school and have a wrestling team. BECA might trip and break a leg running back to AA.

the WPIAL is also HUGE in geography compared to D11. all of D11's talent comes from northampton county and a 15 mile radius.

so don't get all crazy on the 'WPIAL' superiority' thing.

Comparing the wpial district 7 and district 11 are like comparing apples and oranges. Do yourself a favor and click on a state map and look at the difference. Both in area covered and 120 schools campared to 50 schools . Find a 20 mile radius in district 7 and match the talent of the Lehigh Valley. I know every few years certain areas have hot streaks in the state tournament . Last year district 11 had 7 AAA champs. Personally I think the overall talent has declined in District 11 but the upper end studs are still there. In the glory years of Lehigh Valley wrestling , 3 schools were in the national top ten. Easton, Northampton and Nazareth. These schools are twenty minutes from each other. I did say the best talent in a condensed area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT