ADVERTISEMENT

Oweh, Parsons, Walker..per Phil's show today

dmdpsu

Gold Member
Aug 15, 2003
I only caught the last half hour of the radio show today. Jed said, per his sources in Harrisburg and Ohio that Parson's is leaning PSU, despite the CB's.

Jed aldo indicated that Oweh is also a PSU lean from everything he is hearing. Phil was somewhat quiet on these assertions..did'nt agree or disagree.

Phil mentioned that Walker is still a take for PSU. That surprised me because I figured with limited room he may have lost his spot.

If anyone caught the first half hour, please fill us in.

I only caught the last half hour of the radio show today. Jed said, per his sources in Harrisburg and Ohio that Parson's is leaning PSU, despite the CB's.

Jed aldo indicated that Oweh is also a PSU lean from everything he is hearing. Phil was somewhat quiet on these assertions..did'nt agree or disagree.

Phil mentioned that Walker is still a take for PSU. That surprised me because I figured with limited room he may have lost his spot.

a caller took about 10 minutes of the show at the start so not much there.

Reactions: TheGLOV

What about Enis?

What about Enis?
Nothing I heard about Enis....Phil did mention some players who should make an impact. Specifically Toney is a special player and will be used in specific situations. Despite his size, he is really going to be good.. Also that Mateos ? was going to be better than advertised.. Phil was most high on Mateos..should see a good amount of playing time at DE.

Nothing I heard about Enis....Phil did mention some players who should make an impact. Specifically Toney is a special player and will be used in specific situations. Despite his size, he is really going to be good.. Also that Mateos ? was going to be better than advertised.. Phil was most high on Mateos..should see a good amount of playing time at DE.

There goes Phil again, no way Matoes sees a good amount of PT. Brown is a starter, he is a redshirt junior with a ton of experience and legit size. Brown is not going to wow you, but won't make mistakes and will be solid. Miller will start opposite him and has the potential to be really good. Buchholz is solid and can back up Brown. Then Simmons is a high 4 star and Toney is getting some praise for a situational pass rusher. So that is 5 guys, where is Mateos going to get snaps, let alone significant snaps ahead of those guys barring injury.

There goes Phil again, no way Matoes sees a good amount of PT. Brown is a starter, he is a redshirt junior with a ton of experience and legit size. Brown is not going to wow you, but won't make mistakes and will be solid. Miller will start opposite him and has the potential to be really good. Buchholz is solid and can back up Brown. Then Simmons is a high 4 star and Toney is getting some praise for a situational pass rusher. So that is 5 guys, where is Mateos going to get snaps, let alone significant snaps ahead of those guys barring injury.

Coach Franklin will figure it all out Cletus. That's why he get's paid, and is going to get paid more, big buck$ sir!

Nice problem to have.

Just so we are clear, it's pronounced "EE-tur Matos", is this correct?

Reactions: JoeFi and TheGLOV

I would be over the moon if we somehow got Parsons, Owen, and Walker. You can't have enough talented O and D linemen.

Just remember the other day at the presser JF said Matos was pushing hard and starting to force them to find a spot for him in the rotation. Numerous analysts said when he committed that he will end up being the steal of that recruiting class. He is very highly regarded

Just remember the other day at the presser JF said Matos was pushing hard and starting to force them to find a spot for him in the rotation. Numerous analysts said when he committed that he will end up being the steal of that recruiting class. He is very highly regarded

I agree sir.

I can see this kid getting drafted into the NFL.

I sure hope he keeps progressing.

Phil was raving about KJ Hamler. Says he wouldn't be surprised if he's the gem of this class and expects him to be top 5 in the nation as a punt returner in 2018.

We do know that CJF sees Matos as pushing for a "green light" to play this year as CJF stated that he is going to have to find a role for Matos to contribute this year. I agree that a "role" does not mean that Matos will rocket up the depth chart at DE. 3 veteran DE's (Brown, Miller, and Bucholz) and 3 redshirt freshmen (Toney, Simmons, and Joseph) are way ahead of Matos in terms on knowing their assignments. But Matos must be so physically gifted that CJF believes he can be a very disruptive force in spot playing time. People don't seem to talk much about Joseph, but he was a 4 star recruit so I'm anxious to see him as well. And all 6 of the DE's coming back (excluding the true freshmen) have eligibility remaining after 2017. With all the DE's now at PSU, and the possibility that the 2018 class will have 2 or 3 more, it will be very interesting to see where they all end up.....

As far as true freshmen go, I expect Wade to log the most minutes of playing time (# of plays) in 2017. From CJF's comments so far it seems like Wade, Matos, and Castro-Fields will play this year, and possibly Hamler.

Last edited:
Phil was raving about KJ Hamler. Says he wouldn't be surprised if he's the gem of this class and expects him to be top 5 in the nation as a punt returner in 2018.

That's interesting. I've seen him wearing a heavy knee brace to practice. Didn't think he'd be playing the first few games at least -- good news if he is.

Really it's not just the PR, to have a better punt return game you need a better blocking team -- basically they have to have enough depth that 2nd and 3rd teamers can dedicate a lot of time to blocking returns. They should have that depth this year for the first time.

I kind of hope Sanders stays at KR. Thought he did really well last year considering the blocking was inconsistent. If he can get some seams this year he'll break some KO returns which would be another nice addition.

Seems to me that anyone that expects a standing PSU offer that wants to wait until UA, better make their intentions crystal clear w/ PSU beforehand. We could go over 25, and I wouldn't be a big fan of that.

Seems clear that if Hamler weren't hurt, that he'd likely play this year. However, they have to consider that his injury often takes more than a year to heal, and they have others who can return punts. The safe path would be to redshirt him.

Hamler seems extremely explosive - based on the commentary it appears he could be a notch or more above the other "fast little guys" we have had in the past e.g. Devon Smith, Polk etc. Would be pretty awesome to have a Desean Jackson type to complement our 6'4'' monsters

If he's not 100%, I wouldn't play him but, if halfway through the season we're on what looks like a national title run, if he's good to go, I'd burn his shirt without hesitation.

Reactions: TheGLOV and ftlpsu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT