ADVERTISEMENT

Football Outback Bowl Game Thread

After Amin Vanover's little celebration, I was wondering if Arkansas figured, "okay, let's punch this in". Fortunately not.
I know where you’re coming from but it was a really nice play from a guy that gets basically no reps. I’d feel different if it was a starter.

Paterno was a master of half-time adjustments. Franklin, not so much...
We criticized Paterno's play calling a lot but his teams came prepared for bowl games. No new wrinkles today. No adjustments on offense when Arkansas decided to attack the LOS on defense. No quick release plays. No screens. No misdirection. No adjustments on defense when Arkansas decided to pound the QB on almost every play in the 3rd qtr. It seemed like they hoped the traditional approach would work if the young players executed better.

Reactions: psu00
this team stinks. It is one of the most disappointing seasons I can remember going back to the 1980s. There was a team that lost to Stanford in the Blockbuster Bowl; they just kind of gave up. This team reminds me of that.
'92 team but no opt outs for that game.

We missed out on QB recruits the past two years. At the moment he’s the best we have. Thankfully that’s been corrected with this class.
Won’t change a thing - our coach doesn’t understand the value of an offensive line. They will be running for their lives, same as SC.

Reactions: Psugo823
We criticized Paterno's play calling a lot but his teams came prepared for bowl games. No new wrinkles today. No adjustments on offense when Arkansas decided to attack the LOS on defense. No quick release plays. No screens. No misdirection. No adjustments on defense when Arkansas decided to pound the QB on almost every play in the 3rd qtr. It seemed like they hoped the traditional approach would work if the young players executed better.
What about the fake punt, LOL!

Franklin will spin this as young guys playing hard with so many out but the offense has looked lost all season
he needs to take a hard look at who he goes with next year
his legacy as a winner or the guy who ripped off the school is hanging in the balance

Won’t change a thing - our coach doesn’t understand the value of an offensive line. They will be running for their lives, same as SC.
You know it takes at least 10-14 years to develop a competent OL, that’s why that extensions was needed.

The amazing think about our horrible offensive lines is that several of them seem to wind up in the NFL (Menet, Bates, Fries, McGovern).

2-6 since starting 5-0. There are no words that will explain it or any uttered that will change the coaching philosophy. I don’t understand how nothing new is learned or improved during the season. This a total coaching failure to me.
Last year also. Not Isolated.

The defense was going to get rolled given the opt outs. They switched QBs and we were lost as the guy was faster than anyone we have. Not sure what adjustments we could make as we were outmanned and power running is their bread and butter. Still, you would have hoped we were a little better. Looks like we gave up after the SC pick.

On offense, disappointed we were so anemic in the 2nd half. No playmakers stepped up and SC is average at best.

Reactions: wilbury
The only silver lining from what I can see is that our freshman LT appeared to hold his own - goodness do we need him to play well next year.

Reactions: psu00 and bison13
The only silver lining from what I can see is that our freshman LT appeared to hold his own - goodness do we need him to play well next year.
Silver lining is maybe only 12 more games for Yurich and Clifford

The defense was going to get rolled given the opt outs. They switched QBs and we were lost as the guy was faster than anyone we have. Not sure what adjustments we could make as we were outmanned and power running is their bread and butter. Still, you would have hoped we were a little better. Looks like we gave up after the SC pick.

On offense, disappointed we were so anemic in the 2nd half. No playmakers stepped up and SC is average at best.
Were Luketta and Jacob's playing when the Arkansas QB was running all over us?

I agree that we were outmanned. I just think we needed to bring the DBs to plug the run and dare them to beat us throwing. I also didn't like how our defenders kept falling for the fake handoff. At some point you have to stop the QB and make someone else beat us.

Correct again. Penn State teams under a young Paterno always prepared well for bowl games and came to play. The blocking and tackling fundamentals were never in question.

But like nearly every team, we have a disadvantage now that we did not have then ...

Franklin is a CEO type of coach and really, in my view, more of a recruiter with responsibilities to oversee the program. My guess is that he and his coaches put so much emphasis on recruiting that it detracts from everything else. Unfortunately, this is out of necessity.

Under Paterno it was easy. For teams like Georgia and Alabama it is easy. Kids came to play for Joe, and today the best players flock to the established elite teams. For them there's no hard sell, and the time/energy that it would otherwise require.

Now we have the portal mess, which makes it even more difficult for the non-elites that do not have depth to become elite. They will never have depth. Non-playoff bowl games will become like the Blue and White game.

It is what it is. We'll be competitive but not a playoff type of team.

We saw what happened to Michigan yesterday. At their best, for a big game, it wasn't even competitive.

The amazing think about our horrible offensive lines is that several of them seem to wind up in the NFL (Menet, Bates, Fries, McGovern).
Yea. Once they get some coaching. How are you supposed to develop players when you play musical chairs with the coaches?

One decent year and our come the Purdue fans? LOL! WTF?
You were 7-5 with no good wins. Should have been Wisconsin or Minnesota there.

You and Michigan embarrass the B1G like usual...

Hopefully the B1G changes their selection process soon. And hopefully Franklin continues coaching you into oblivion...

So the running backs went 10 for 67 yds,6.7 yds per carry. Sean ran 12 for 46 yds for 3.8 yds. He ran a few times on need but ran way too many times with option to short side which should be axed. Only one sack on Vellieux that I remember. Line didn’t play as bad as people think— Yurcich is killing the running game with his RPO or at least the way Sean is running his RPO. Also can’t miss easy TDs to open receivers and can’t throw INT into double coverage. Defense could tackle better and will learn from this game.

Reactions: bdgan and bison13
Penn State embarrasses the BIG? You clown. Purdon’t is a bottom feeder. Penn State has won 14 bowls since joined the BIG, 7 on NYD.

So the running backs went 10 for 67 yds,6.7 yds per carry. Sean ran 12 for 46 yds for 3.8 yds. He ran a few times on need but ran way too many times with option to short side which should be axed. Only one sack on Vellieux that I remember. Line didn’t play as bad as people think— Yurcich is killing the running game with his RPO or at least the way Sean is running his RPO. Also can’t miss easy TDs to open receivers and can’t throw INT into double coverage. Defense could tackle better and will learn from this game.
Both INTs SC was running for his life.

LMAO. You're a football school. And that's all you got. Now you suck at it. Your ex-coach enabled a pedo for years. You're an embarrassment...
LOL! Here we go. I knew you’d have to resort to the Sandusky scandal. Better go hit up Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State boards over their sexual abuse scandals. Stay classy, Purdue loser. (Oh and far more goes on at Penn State than you realize, esp. with DoD contracts and research. You’re such an ignorant clown.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Again, hope you love Franklin. Cause you're stuck with him for awhile. In the meantime I'll enjoy our top 5 ranked basketball team. And will look forward to kicking Pedo St's @ss first game of next season...

BTW, everyone in the B1G really wishes you weren't part of the conference. Not a very likeable fan base...
Basketball, what’s that?

What just gets me is the lack of basic corrections / adjustments. I was really hoping that PSU would have done what Georgia did to Michigan and get the ball out fast and get the ball to your playmakers and let them make plays. This explosive play offense of living and dying by the sword and PSU has died by it. The amount of points the offense has scored per game is pathetic. There just does not seem to be any system to how the plays are called.

I was also hoping that someone would have told the young defensive linemen to maintain their responsibilities and assignments. Watching guys crash down the line of scrimmage chasing someone without the ball and not setting an edge was costly. The tackling was also just mind blowing Guys looking like they did not want to hit people or attack the line of scrimmage is glaring. Once one piece of the puzzle is gone it throws the whole scheme out of whack. So many times it's been discussed that it's the small basic football plays that are not made that lose games. I had a college coach who preached discipline every practice. Take care of the small things and do your job. It's hard for players to understand sometimes that they aren't going to make every play and get all the attention but by doing their part and keeping their assignment they are contributing. There is a lot of work for this team to do before next season. Unfortunately a lot of the issues are things that are basic football skills that are taught from a young age up. I guess sometimes I think of things to simple minded, that's why I don't get paid the big bucks and coach.

Last edited:
Again, hope you love Franklin. Cause you're stuck with him for awhile. In the meantime I'll enjoy our top 5 ranked basketball team. And will look forward to kicking Pedo St's @ss first game of next season...

BTW, everyone in the B1G really wishes you weren't part of the conference. Not a very likeable fan base...
Really, everyone? You speak for the whole BIG fan base? YOU came on this board running your mouth and displaying your ignorance by calling Penn State a “football school” and then starting with the Pedo State stuff. Why, because your team finally had a decent season? GTFO you clown. On ignore you go.

Just ignore the guy, he came here for one reason and it was not to talk football.

People who criticize this team losing when it was missing so many stars are just ludicrous.
As an earlier poster stated, 2-6 since starting 5-0. With the ” missing stars”, that means they were 2-5 since starting 5-0.
IMO, not well coached in many areas. Until the coaches figure out a good running( re’ good offensive lineman) and good defense wins the majority of games , 7-8 win seasons will be the norm.

Well you aren’t a very likable douchebag troll, so…

Biggest disappointment today was the play of Clifford, the most experienced player for PSU, and I'm still disappointed that Clifford is returning. This team needs to turn the corner from Clifford who has proven an adequate QB for a 2nd 20 team, but not a QB that could win B10 championships or adequately lead his team in a playoff game. With Clifford back PSU will have an experienced QB that could potentially lead PSU to 9 or 10 wins if the rest of the team fell into place, but not one that could lead PSU to be a title contender. It's time to move on and develop a better QB that has multiple years of eligibility going forward.

I would have at the top of the list of plays that resulted in this loss the overthrow of the wide open TE in the first half that would have been a TD and put PSU up 17-7 at the half. Clifford has consistently overthrown wide open deep targets his whole career and continues to do it at the tail end of his 5th season at PSU. He really almost overthrew the first long TD to KLS - a near perfect pass that he should have slightly underthrown to a wide open receiver to be sure he got the sure TD.

So I'm more disappointed with Clifford coming back than I am with the loss today. But I do believe the team could have shown better today with some better in game adjustments. Even in the 2nd half, the PSU D-line seemed to over pursue to one side leaving the field wide open for the QB or the RB run, almost consistently leaving gaping holes for north/south runs. Sure, the D missed AK, Tangelo, and Smith and Brooks from the front 7 but where was the coaching of the DL to stay in their gaps, coaching my son got at a youngster? The end result was an embarrassing 350+ rushing yards by a mediocre Arkansas team.

It's great that some young players got experience today, but right now I'm not too optimistic about the future of PSU's front 7 on Defense. This defense needs an influx of talent. Great that van den Burg got some PT at DT, but I don't see a difference maker at DT or DE. Who of the young DT's looked particularly strong today? Tarburton had some moments at DE, but too many times this 4th year player was the worst offender in the DL getting pushed or suckered to one side and the play running right by where he should have been. The defense desperately needs Mustipher back and healthy, as well as a top physical DE transfer, and another DT transfer the caliber of Tangelo. A difference maker at Safety would help as well, such as Young or the kid from Northwestern.

On Offense, it starts and unfortunately likely ends with Clifford. The young WR's show promise, Washington had some highlight catches but has some limitations with his stature, KLS will continue to get better, but no 3rd WR showed up today. Meiga had a ball drop right into his hands but couldn't hang on. And the OL played par for the year, a few running lanes but were over matched trying to pass block. Arkansas is not a top 15 team and PSU's QB's will take a pounding against any decent team until Franklin can recruit and develop better olinemen and a cohesive oline.

Sorry for the long vent, considering the game was what I was expecting, but it was not what I was hoping for.......

Last edited:
As an earlier poster stated, 2-6 since starting 5-0. With the ” missing stars”, that means they were 2-5 since starting 5-0.
IMO, not well coached in many areas. Until the coaches figure out a good running( re’ good offensive lineman) and good defense wins the majority of games , 7-8 win seasons will be the norm.
"Missing stars" is in quotation marks?!?!? If you're implying Dotson, Brisker, Mustipher etc are not stars then there is no sense discussing football with you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT