ADVERTISEMENT

OUR O-Line lacks that certain "Nasty" quality

marisa45

Feb 2, 2007
OK, so I've been promising this thread for a while. I'm sure you've all been on pins and needles. I haven't really had time to put it all together properly so I'll just explain the gist and let the board get to work.

CJF said it himself. Our O-Line is great, they are all nice quality "Penn State" guys, but sometimes you just need to be a bully......(paraphrasing, I'm even too lazy took up the actual quote).

I interpreted that to mean we need an INJECTION of nastiness for our friends on the O-Line........I mean, smack your mama kind of nasty.

In a spirit of positivity and encouragement, I thought the best way to fix our "nastiness" deficiency on the O-Line would be to go the alter ego route for field presence enhancement!!! :D. From what I've read, it worked for Beyoncé (Sasha Fierce anyone) and holy crap, the autocorrect just put the accent above the e.........that's when you know you've TRULY arrived!!!!

My contribution...... please continue........if you don't mind of course

Brendan Mahon

4_1060507.jpg

I've heard Road Grader which would be this
CM20170503-44150-23167

........but I'm going with

SMASH!!!!!!

hulk.jpg

He needs to make that face on every single snap!!!! And then when he goes to the student center he's free to order a skinny mocha laute for all I care!

Last edited:
We play 2 Michigan teams in the next 3 weeks, and Michigan is the state best known for making automobiles. I've used this gif before, but this is what I want to see from our O line against the car boys, and the Bucknuts too.
giphy.gif

Totally agree. I was thinking about this the other day as well. They appear to be missing that nasty streak. They need the Fairgambit tank mentality and then let Barkley do his magic.

We play 2 Michigan teams in the next 3 weeks, and Michigan is the state best known for making automobiles. I've used this gif before, but this is what I want to see from our O line against the car boys, and the Bucknuts too.
giphy.gif
Perfect. The cars aren't even speed bumps as the TANK PLOWS everything in it's path!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: psu00
In my viewpoint, I don't think they need to be nasty. I think they simply need to be better technically, and better with their line calls on leverage blocking. The off week will help that. Being mean is inherent, you're either mean, or your not. Just go out there, and be better at your job. There aren't any Todd Moules' types on this o line, and frankly that's a good thing because in TODAY'S world, he would have been kicked off the team after his freshman year.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
In my viewpoint, I don't think they need to be nasty. I think they simply need to be better technically, and better with their line calls on leverage blocking. The off week will help that. Being mean is inherent, you're either mean, or your not. Just go out there, and be better at your job. There aren't any Todd Moules' types on this o line, and frankly that's a good thing because in TODAY'S world, he would have been kicked off the team after his freshman year.
Boo. You know nothing Jon Snow.

If you don't like "nasty", then use whatever term you want....bully, physically imposing, whatever. Part of being an offensive lineman ,aside from dealing with the fat guy jokes, is that you are bigger and stronger than just about anyone else on the field. Most guys can't bench press what you weigh, and with that should come a certain realization that (once again, on the football field) you have license to push people around in a way which otherwise might entail criminal prosecution. If you ask all the great offensive lineman what they like most about football, they will tell you it's the physicality of the sport, in other words, the fact that it's OK to be a bully.

You're right, you are what you are.......which in this case would be a 6 foot 4 inch 325 pound human being....so the way I see it....you might as well OWN IT!!

Boo. You know nothing Jon Snow.

If you don't like "nasty", then use whatever term you want....bully, physically imposing, whatever. Part of being an offensive lineman ,aside from dealing with the fat guy jokes, is that you are bigger and stronger than just about anyone else on the field. Most guys can't bench press what you weigh, and with that should come a certain realization that (once again, on the football field) you have license to push people around in a way which otherwise might entail criminal prosecution. If you ask all the great offensive lineman what they like most about football, they will tell you it's the physicality of the sport, in other words, the fact that it's OK to be a bully.

You're right, you are what you are.......which in this case would be a 6 foot 4 inch 325 pound human being....so the way I see it....you might as well OWN IT!!
Nobody is going to bully Anthony Nelson, or Tyler Lancaster, or Mo Hurst, or etc etc etc. What you CAN do, is double team them, and neutralize them. Just win baby. Don't try to be something you're not, CEREBRAL is what wins at this level.

I have a feeling that Miranda and Thorpe have a touch of mean in their playing style. We will not see it this year....but I expect to see good things from those two down the road.

I agree... saying that they need to be nasty or tougher is a superficial comment that doesn't point to the real problem. The whole idea with blocking is that you are either trying to move them in your desired direction or prevent them from going where they want to. It really doesn't matter whether you do this with a smile on your face or a scowl. Somewhat more meaningful is the comment that they aren't holding their blocks long enough, which is to say that although they slow down the progress of the defense, they are ultimately unsuccessful in moving them in a certain direction or preventing them from going where the defense wants. I'm not knowlegable enough to critique the specific techniques employed by our O linemen, but typically you can tell by whether there is penetration in the backfield (excluding unblocked RPO guys). I would feel a whole lot better about the remainder of our season if our O line blocked well (prevented penetration) against Michigan on Saturday.

I have a feeling that Miranda and Thorpe have a touch of mean in their playing style. We will not see it this year....but I expect to see good things from those two down the road.

When they were recruited a common theme in the scouting reports was a nasty streak.

Last edited:
I agree... saying that they need to be nasty or tougher is a superficial comment that doesn't point to the real problem. The whole idea with blocking is that you are either trying to move them in your desired direction or prevent them from going where they want to. It really doesn't matter whether you do this with a smile on your face or a scowl. Somewhat more meaningful is the comment that they aren't holding their blocks long enough, which is to say that although they slow down the progress of the defense, they are ultimately unsuccessful in moving them in a certain direction or preventing them from going where the defense wants. I'm not knowlegable enough to critique the specific techniques employed by our O linemen, but typically you can tell by whether there is penetration in the backfield (excluding unblocked RPO guys). I would feel a whole lot better about the remainder of our season if our O line blocked well (prevented penetration) against Michigan on Saturday.
Keep your eye on total snaps this Saturday night Dan: For as good as they are, and they ARE very good, they are thin. Real thin. IU wore them down last week, and they can be had in the second half if we can get enough snaps. We'll need to make plays and help the fellas out also. Get a hat on Gary on every play: No matter what anyone says, Gary is playing injured this week. He most definitely suffered an injury against IU.

not nasty? Hmmm 74 or 66 here?

Gonzo can do this exact same thing this week if he gets the chance. When we don't ask him to pull, he's a damn good left guard. Play was blown up because they had zero respect for the pass. Next play, VERY next play, Moorhead made them pay dearly.

Gonzo can do this exact same thing this week if he gets the chance. When we don't ask him to pull, he's a damn good left guard. Play was blown up because they had zero respect for the pass. Next play, VERY next play, Moorhead made them pay dearly.
the play was blown up because 74, and 66 did not execute their combo block effectively. It's hard to tell with the DT is in a 2 or a 1, but either way the LB is over the OG. 74 and 66 should have each taken a half of the DT and keep their heads up, (and off arms free) if the LBer plugs like he does, than 74 come off the double team to block him and 66 will take over the whole man on the DT. If the LB wraps around, then 66 comes off, and 74 takes over the DT. This should be day one zone blocking techniques.

the play was blown up because 74, and 66 did not execute their combo block effectively. It's hard to tell with the DT is in a 2 or a 1, but either way the LB is over the OG. 74 and 66 should have each taken a half of the DT and keep their heads up, (and off arms free) if the LBer plugs like he does, than 74 come off the double team to block him and 66 will take over the whole man on the DT. If the LB wraps around, then 66 comes off, and 74 takes over the DT. This should be day one zone blocking techniques.
At some point, its gotta be execution by the players, teaching by Limegrover, or the scheme by Moorhead. Luckily, we can hold CJF responsible for all of these things and he has proven that he has the ability to look at things critically and do what is needed to make positive changes.

The best thing to help aggression is to know who to block ahead of time with out confusion.

did you review the attached video? Nasty has nothing to do with why the play gets blown up. see my response to Bisbee Mike or Guns or whatever.
And I never said that anyone needs to be nasty... I said that they need to be more effective!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT