ADVERTISEMENT

Our Depth Chart

psu skp

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2016
50 yard line after dark
I'm really confused about our OL depth chart. After a bye week, I would have thought that IF Gonzalez had to come out for even one play the only options behind him wouldn't be players who are redshirting. God forbid one of our starters is hurt... we will have to reshuffle the entire line.

I'm really confused about our OL depth chart. After a bye week, I would have thought that IF Gonzalez had to come out for even one play the only options behind him wouldn't be players who are redshirting. God forbid one of our starters is hurt... we will have to reshuffle the entire line.

As you should know, reality rarely matches the depth chart.

Reactions: JR4PSU
As you should know, reality rarely matches the depth chart.
Over the years I've actually found the opposite when it comes to mid-season depth charts, they are usually a good indication of "next man up" and they usually make sense. It's one thing to have Will Fries penciled in as a backup last season after a rash of injuries, but after a week off to prepare for the meat of our schedule, I'd think we'd have put together an OL rotation that is practical and based in reality.

Last edited:
Over the years I've actually found the opposite when it comes to mid-season depth charts, they are usually a good indication of "next man up" and they usually make sense. It's one thing to have Will Fries penciled in as a backup last season after a rash of injuries, but after a week off to prepare for the meat of our schedule, I'd think we'd have put together an OL rotation that is practical.

Then over the past 3 years, you didn't pay attention at all.

I can't believe someone is actually posting this.

Who else would you have listed? In all likelihood, it would be Menet that would actually play if Gonzalez was injured but, who else would you list on the depth chart instead of Miranda? The large majority of our scholarship Olinemen are freshmen through redshirt sophomores.

I have actually been paying rather close attention for the last 25 plus years and I can tell you that THIS OL depth chart doesn't make sense, that's all.

That's great. If you've paid any attention to the depth chart since Franklin has been here, you would realize that none of them reflect reality and therefore in your eyes none have made sense.

Who else would you have listed? In all likelihood, it would be Menet that would actually play if Gonzalez was injured but, who else would you list on the depth chart instead of Miranda? The large majority of our scholarship Olinemen are freshmen through redshirt sophomores.
Well, yeah. Menet as #2 at both guard positions makes sense. Or maybe Simpson or Fries (except he's now a starter elsewhere). I'm not sure why there is so much outrage from some on here, it is a fair question to wonder why RS players are listed so high up in the depth chart when we have plenty of bodies available.

Hell, we might as well have Torrence Brown listed as #1 DE since he IS technically the starter (except he's not available and therefore not on the depth chart--which is my point).

Last edited:
I have actually been paying rather close attention for the last 25 plus years and I can tell you that THIS OL depth chart doesn't make sense, that's all.
It makes sense when you realize from Jr's up through 5th yr seniors, the roster is slim due to the sanctions.

LOL

Okay then. You keep believing that. It's cute.
You can be snarky all you want, but can't come up with any similar examples in any of Franklin's depth charts (where nobody except for redshirting players are listed behind a starter when there are other players available). But thanks for playing..

You can be snarky all you want, but can't come up with any similar examples in any of Franklin's depth charts (where nobody except for redshirting players are listed behind a starter when there are other players available). But thanks for playing..

Who are these "other" players?

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle

Keep digging skippy.

How about this one?

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2016-17/depth_chart_event/depth_chart.pdf

Simpson wasn't next man in for Gaia (McGovern). Apke came in before Scott behind Golden. There are other examples on this one too.

Hell, even this year Blacknall has started in place of Thompkins.

I'm too lazy to dig through Google to find even more. I'd love to see where your "information" is coming from, and how you've "seen" that any Franklin-era depth chart was anywhere close to accurate.

Dude's starting to sound like another 21Guns name.

Picture-16-300x178.jpg

Reactions: KnightSlayer
Franklin was asked earlier this week about Fries being listed as the starter on the depth chart and it was news to him. I wouldn't read too much into the depth chart. I'm guessing it is put together by a grad assistant.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Keep digging skippy.

How about this one?

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2016-17/depth_chart_event/depth_chart.pdf

Simpson wasn't next man in for Gaia (McGovern). Apke came in before Scott behind Golden. There are other examples on this one too.
These are not examples of the same thing. Not even close. I am talking about a mid-season depth chart where the #2 AND #3 players listed behind a starter are not even "available" (i.e. the coaches clearly have no interest in sending them in except in a major emergency). And you would think that they would have taken Thorpe & Miranda off by now and put somebody else who IS available was my only point.

Last edited:
Franklin was asked earlier this week about Fries being listed as the starter on the depth chart and it was news to him. I wouldn't read too much into the depth chart. I'm guessing it is put together by a grad assistant.
by a GA doubtful, by the SID more probable.

I think they would put Simpson in at C and slide McGovern over. Or Menet is an option.

These are not examples of the same thing. Not even close. I am talking about a mid-season depth chart where the #2 & #3 players listed behind a starter are not even "available" (i.e. the coaches clearly have no interest in sending them in except in a major emergency). And you would think that they would have taken Thorpe & Miranda off and put somebody else who IS available as a placeholder was my only point.

Here's 2016's OSU depth chart. The definition of mid-season. Game 7 of 12.

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...chart-ohio-state-saquon-barkley-andrew-nelson

Since it appears you can't read let me spell this out for you.

• Jake Zembiec was not the 3rd string QB. Fessler was the guy.
  • It wasn't uncommon to see Mark Allen come in after Barkley.
  • Will Fries was never the 2nd string left tackle. We all know what happened when Palmer went down.
  • Michal Menet was not the 3rd string left guard. Dowrey was the swing guy with Gonzo manning the LG spot.
  • Will Fries appears again as 3rd team RT, which again, he was redshirting.
  • Again, Nick Scott was not the #2 behind Golden. Apke was the swing guy.
  • Campbell was corner #3, with Haley spending time in the slot. Jordan Smith did not directly back up Haley.
  • Alex Barbir, another redshirt who was injured and had absolutely no way of playing, was 3rd on the depth chart for kickoffs and place kicker.
Now what excuse are you going to make?

Who do you want behind him that is not already listed on the depth chart? Give us your list.

If they play Miranda or Thorpe then so be it. I am not going to lose any sleepover it. Did you lose sleep when you heard McGovern was going to play last year?

Last edited:
Over the years I've actually found the opposite when it comes to mid-season depth charts, they are usually a good indication of "next man up" and they usually make sense. It's one thing to have Will Fries penciled in as a backup last season after a rash of injuries, but after a week off to prepare for the meat of our schedule, I'd think we'd have put together an OL rotation that is practical and based in reality.

Not true at all. Just look at the OL the last three years. They moved mangiro to tackle before they played the 2nd string RT. Same thing last year with Mahon followed by Bates.

Here's 2016's OSU depth chart. The definition of mid-season. Game 7 of 12.

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...chart-ohio-state-saquon-barkley-andrew-nelson

Since it appears you can't read let me spell this out for you.

• Jake Zembiec was not the 3rd string QB. Fessler was the guy.
  • It wasn't uncommon to see Mark Allen come in after Barkley.
  • Will Fries was never the 2nd string left tackle. We all know what happened when Palmer went down.
  • Michal Menet was not the 3rd string left guard. Dowrey was the swing guy with Gonzo manning the LG spot.
  • Will Fries appears again as 3rd team RT, which again, he was redshirting.
  • Again, Nick Scott was not the #2 behind Golden. Apke was the swing guy.
  • Campbell was corner #3, with Haley spending time in the slot. Jordan Smith did not directly back up Haley.
  • Alex Barbir, another redshirt who was injured and had absolutely no way of playing, was 3rd on the depth chart for kickoffs and place kicker.
Now what excuse are you going to make?
Dude, what's wrong with you? NONE of what you posted is the same thing. Not even close. Re-read my previous reply to you. It ain't that complicated.

Dude, what's wrong with you? NONE of what you posted is the same thing. Not even close. Re-read my previous reply to you. It ain't that complicated.

Your previous reply is:

These are not examples of the same thing. Not even close. I am talking about a mid-season depth chart where the #2 & #3 players listed behind a starter are not even "available" (i.e. the coaches clearly have no interest in sending them in except in a major emergency). And you would think that they would have taken Thorpe & Miranda off and put somebody else who IS available as a placeholder was my only point.

In the example depth chart I gave you, Zembiec, Fries, Menet, and Scott, and Barbir are in depth chart positions that you describe.

You're right, it ain't that complicated.

Who do you want behind him that is not already listed on the depth chart? Give us your list.

If they play Miranda or Thorpe then so be it. I am not going to lose any sleepover it. Did you lose sleep when you heard McGovern was going to play last year?
Well, if Gonzalez leaves the game and Menet is sent in to replace him then I guess he'd be the #2 LG. That's kind of how a depth chart is supposed to work. IF the coaches actually plan to send Miranda or Thorpe in then fine, but maybe we should have given them a few reps vs GA State if that was the plan. Since we've had two weeks off, you think our coaches would know by now since we play Michigan & OSU in the next two weeks...

In the example depth chart I gave you, Zembiec, Fries, Menet, and Scott, and Barbir are in depth chart positions that you describe.
Yes, but they weren't the ONLY players listed behind the starter. We didn't have 'unavailable' players (and ONLY unavailable players) listed on the depth chart.

Last edited:
Well, if Gonzalez leaves the game and Menet is sent in to replace him then I guess he'd be the #2 LG. That's kind of how a depth chart is supposed to work. IF the coaches actually plan to send Miranda or Thorpe in then fine, but maybe we should have given them a few reps vs GA State if that was the plan. Since we've had two weeks off, you think our coaches would know by now since we play Michigan & OSU in the next two weeks...

1. THey already list Menet. If they listed Menet at LG, would you be complaining about RG depth?

2. DO you think the staff not telling you means they don't know?

3. Reps vs PSU 1st string in practice > reps vs GA STATE. 55-0

Yes, but they weren't the ONLY players listed behind the starter. We didn't have 'unavailable' players (and ONLY unavailable players) listed on the depth chart. Moving guys around is not what I'm talking about.

You and I both know that barring catastrophe Thorpe & Miranda won't see the field this year. Who really cares about the depth chart?

1. THey already list Menet. If they listed Menet at LG, would you be complaining about RG depth?

2. DO you think the staff not telling you means they don't know?

3. Reps vs PSU 1st string in practice > reps vs GA STATE. 55-0
1. Well, we have Shuman at RG so I guess he's an option (even for one play) should Mahon step out.
2. Of course the coaches (and obviously the players) know who "next man up" is should somebody go down. It happened last year and it really hurt us when we had to switch players around but that was last year and we were razor thin then. I thought we had more depth now, but our chart doesn't reflect that.

You and I both know that barring catastrophe Thorpe & Miranda won't see the field this year. Who really cares about the depth chart?
Exactly, which is why it is strange that they are currently "listed" as our only other options at LG. I just would have thought that we would have "promoted" some of the slightly older players above two guys who have no real chance of playing.

Depth charts matter somewhat. Certainly to the guys who bust their tails everyday it matters what color jersey they are and what the coaches think of their development, which is largely reflected on stat sheets and depth charts.
Maybe the coaches are sending a message to Menet, Jenkins, and Simpson that they are only an option (officially) at one spot since Miranda/Thorpe are *still* listed so highly.

I'm kinda worried that Fries seems to be our only OL with the versatility to be an alternative at multiple OL spots while other guys barely see the field. Thought the reason we list guys as "OL" instead of "C, G, or OT" was because they are prepared to play multiple spots, but the pattern thusfar certainly doesn't reflect that.

Last edited:
Exactly, which is why it is strange that they are currently "listed" as our only other options at LG. I just would have thought that we would have "promoted" some of the slightly older players above two guys who have no real chance of playing.

Depth charts matter somewhat. Certainly to the guys who bust their tails everyday it matters what color jersey they are and what the coaches think of their development, which is largely reflected on stat sheets and depth charts.
Maybe the coaches are sending a message to Menet, Jenkins, and Simpson that they are only an option (officially) at one spot and Miranda/Thorpe are *still listed so highly. But, I am worried that Fries seems to be our primary alternative at three OL spots and other guys barely see the field.

Serious question: Are you 21 Guns?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT