ADVERTISEMENT

Other than a few sports like wrestling, it seems as if the overall state of PSU athletics really has fallen in recent years.

bcspsu

Jun 2, 2001
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about why this has happened. I mean, in years past, we always would place highly in the All-Sports Rankings, and sometimes even battle Stanford for the lead. Those days seem to be over.

Surely, we have seen a decline in Gymnastics, volleyball, and LaCrosse seems to maybe getting back up to speed. Basketball has never been top notch for an extended period. And, football for last few years has been mediocre compared to years under Paterno. And, for may years, our fencing team was untouchable. No longer or so it seems.

Reactions: joeaubie21
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about why this has happened. I mean, in years past, we always would place highly in the All-Sports Rankings, and sometimes even battle Stanford for the lead. Those days seem to be over.
I think that currently Penn State is a wrestling only school -- kind of like Lehigh was many years ago. We now suck in every sport except wrestling.

It's great we are good at wrestling and all, but in the end it is a niche sport.

We are even last place in Hockey.

Our athletics right now are terrible.

LdN

Reactions: mnuccio2
We ARE worse but moved up in the Leerfield rankings?? What is your source that PSU got worse?
She was hired in Aug, 2014. The prior two years we were sixth and fifth. Her first year we were eighth, then out of top ten a year, back to eighth, and then out of top ten for the last three years(no rankings last year due to Covid).

Reactions: bison13
She was hired in Aug, 2014. The prior two years we were sixth and fifth. Her first year we were eighth, then out of top ten a year, back to eighth, and then out of top ten for the last three years(no rankings last year due to Covid).

You win. We are worse. What was PSU from
1990 -2014? Did you even care?

Ps. Didn't Iowa win the team championship in wrestling last year?

Last edited:
You win. We are worse. What was PSU from
1990 -2014? Did you even care?

Ps. Didn't Iowa win the team championship in wrestling last year?
It’s in the charts in the link......if you even cared. And they just started there rankings in the 93-94 school year. Usually top ten. Highest was three followed by four

I say we get rid of all sports that lose money. Screw fencing, volleyball, soccer, field hockey ect. Revenue producing sports should get to keep most of the money they generate. Fire any coach who has a losing record two years in a row.

It’s in the charts in the link......if you even cared. And they just started there rankings in the 93-94 school year. Usually top ten. Highest was three followed by four
I don't care. Nobody does. That is why saban makes $10 mil and the volleyball coach is lucky to have a job.

I just checked the results. No noticable change. We have been up an down since the start. There were years in each decade where PSU did not make the top 10. Who cares? Wrestling lost ground last year. Iowa won the team title. Did you expect them to win forever?

Do you want to fire the coaches who did not match their 2012 and 2013 Directors cup points? Fire Cael?

Last edited:
Weird.....the more assistant ADs we get, the worse we get!🥴
These are hard working, honest, excellent administrators you're talking about.

Second only to the chief of diversity compliance.

You should be thankful that we take money from you to pay for these excellent people.

You had better get with the program, Comrade.

You're not wrong, this is the result of making politically correct hires instead of the best, most qualified person for the job.

Reactions: dswartz
I say we get rid of all sports that lose money. Screw fencing, volleyball, soccer, field hockey ect. Revenue producing sports should get to keep most of the money they generate. Fire any coach who has a losing record two years in a row.
So keep football, men's basketball and hockey? You do know there are NCAA rules against that and a thing called Title IX.

Reactions: hlstone
You're not wrong, this is the result of making politically correct hires instead of the best, most qualified person for the job.
So which coaching hires where politically correct? If you are going to make this accusation why don't you name the coaches that were not qualified.

Reactions: ouirpsu
We had the best WVB coach in the history of the sport. He got old and didn't recruit well for a few years and then he retired. We are no longer elite in WVB.
I am sure some people will blame the administration for allowing him to get old. They should have reversed time according to some posters here.

The learfield cup has to be the dumbest thing ever. A national championship in Football and Basketball is worth the same number of points in Men's Gymnastics which has 14 total teams.

I used to tell everyone we were good at everything except baseball and basketball and it was pretty much true.

I don't care. Nobody does. That is why saban makes $10 mil and the volleyball coach is lucky to have a job.

I just checked the results. No noticable change. We have been up an down since the start. There were years in each decade where PSU did not make the top 10. Who cares? Wrestling lost ground last year. Iowa won the team title. Did you expect them to win forever?

Do you want to fire the coaches who did not match their 2012 and 2013 Directors cup points? Fire Cael?
Shut up you old codger.

The learfield cup has to be the dumbest thing ever. A national championship in Football and Basketball is worth the same number of points in Men's Gymnastics which has 14 total teams.
What's sad is that there may be more competition among the 14 Men's Gymnastics teams than there is for the well over 100 D-1 football teams. You basically can predict the same 6 to 7 teams every year that have a legitimate chance to make the playoffs in football, with the odd exception like Cincy this year. Otherwise, the rest of the teams just are schedule fillers for these 6 or 7 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT