ADVERTISEMENT

OT: YouTubeTV increasing rates a whopping 30% on August 1

YeOldeCup

Jan 27, 2005
Pretty stunning increase out of the blue.

Looking for your experiences/recommendations with competing streaming services.

30%! Eff that.

we get Hulu live for sports in the fall and cancel after the season.

I wonder if they're reason is, people will be so starved for live sports and especially for football that they'll suck it up and pay the extra. But of course, that assumes football will actually be played this fall. If there is no football in the fall I don't know who would pay so much for Youtube TV.

It was bound to happen and the other streaming services won't far behind. They were a good alternative to the greedy cable companies but now they're starting to become what we hated about cable.

The email said they're adding eight channels from the ViacomCBS family - BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land, and VH1. I don't watch any of those. Yep, just like cable. Add more crap most people don't watch and jack up prices.

(At least for now) Hulu + Live TV looks essentially the same, but for $10 less per month as of August 1st.

Still cheaper than what I used to pay for cable, I’m sticking with YTTV.

Love yttv, don't love this increase. I'm now paying more combined for internet and streaming then I was when I just had internet and cable. This whole cord cutting has completely backfired. Ha
That’s what’s going to happen...if we get rid of cable, we’re going to have to pay for every channel we want and it’s going to end up costing a lot more than what people complain about paying for cable. I want ABC ($10), I want CBS ($10), I want NBC ($10), I want ESPN for games ($10), I want AMC ($10)...and on and on and on. But we cut the cord by God.

Reactions: fkkkjm
That’s what’s going to happen...if we get rid of cable, we’re going to have to pay for every channel we want and it’s going to end up costing a lot more than what people complain about paying for cable. I want ABC ($10), I want CBS ($10), I want NBC ($10), I want ESPN for games ($10), I want AMC ($10)...and on and on and on. But we cut the cord by God.
Get an antenna on a different input and cut that cost $30 a month

I'm going back and forth about cutting the cord like everyone else. But doing what you're inferring by just getting an antenna for the regular over the Airways channels has been enough of a savings that I still go with cable. Didn't need a box for every TV Plus some of the regular antennas you can buy have some apps on them that you can get Netflix or YouTube.

Just read the email. They added 5/6 channels and raised price 30%. I’m pissed off big time. I just dropped directv to save money. Now they are nearly the same cost, if not more. Looks like I’ll be shopping around. Only went with YouTube fir BigTen network. Ugh!!!

An antenna is not going to get a lot of the channels, so you’ll have to pay for those....then pay for Netflix, Hulu, Prime, HBO, etc. In the end, cutting the cord won’t save that much money especially if a lot of people do it. Someone is going to get paid.

Reactions: LionJim

I have a high grade antennae, but haven't priced out having an electrician run it up to my roof. I heard you can also put them in your attic or on a window, but they are pretty ugly.

Just read the email. They added 5/6 channels and raised price 30%. I’m pissed off big time. I just dropped directv to save money. Now they are nearly the same cost, if not more. Looks like I’ll be shopping around. Only went with YouTube fir BigTen network. Ugh!!!

Dont worry man. There is market.collusion unless they want a price war. They were the disruptions, but they want margin too. I bet the others follow suit to avoid a price war. There is some pretty cool research into the psychology of pricing. Youtube is trying to lead and see if the others follow. I would let the dust settle for a bit before switching. Either the others follow suit or YouTube looks dumb and walks back the price increase.

YouTube TV to add Viacom garbage-content you may have cared about 20yrs ago (MTV, VH1 , ComedyCentral etc) and bLasts you with a 30% punch to the groin... hell no!

I rely on OTA 90% of the time anyway....

Youtube TV is going on a ride on the NOPE train

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
And they just announced that they won't produce any original content so they've removed all production costs. Crazy
At this point, you have to look at cord cutting beyond streaming the same crap you watched on cable. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon are producing so much original content it's hard to simply compare apples to apples price. I'm happy with hulu for most network stuff (sans CBS), netflix, plus Amazon prime feels free. If u wanna pay the dbags in Bristol, you can get a Disney, Hulu, ESPN bundle for like 13 or 15/month. I think you can also do a fox subscription for BTN if u don't wanna do the live Hulu options. the balkanization of TV is crazy. It will be very interesting to how it shakes out.

Three weeks ago, after 25+ years with DTV, I switched to YTTV. DTV kept playing pricing games.

We have Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, ESPN and Prime. Now I plan on dropping YTTV and maybe just go to an antenna for locals. What do you do for DVR for the locals?
vcr_9752-edit_custom-3322f72ca4c2033116be1af2b4d99b65dd3520be-s800-c85.jpg

I heard about the YTTV price increase here first and was confused why I hadn’t received the announcement. The announcement email sent to my Gmail account was put in the Spam folder. I wonder (just a little) if they were trying to “hide” the message from those who don’t pay close attention.

I heard about the YTTV price increase here first and was confused why I hadn’t received the announcement. The announcement email sent to my Gmail account was put in the Spam folder. I wonder (just a little) if they were trying to “hide” the message from those who don’t pay close attention.
Mine came in my regular account. I may look into Hulu though because of the 14 channels they are adding....the only one I care for is Comedy Central. The rest are ones that I basically wouldn't watch, but it is still $100 cheaper than what I was paying for Direct TV with thunderstorm outages.

Reactions: rem524
What is interesting will be the lack of stickiness yttv will have. How much revenue will be lost?

I rarely watch the networks anymore as they are no different than any other content producers. I feel this is simply a stage to get to complete streaming. In five years you’ll buy internet access and content will be free or prescription, depending on their model. Why have a middleman? It no longer makes sense

Youtube TV and Fubo TV are in the same price increase death spiral as cable TV.

The networks keep demanding higher fees, but as prices increase, more people drop out and go with less expensive alternatives. So the pool of people paying shrinks, therefore the price paid by each household has to increase in order to pay the network fees, That's why YouTube TV has gone from $34 a month to $64 a month in about 3 years.

If all you care about is Penn State football, remember you get the vast majority of games -- and the best games -- on broadcast networks, which you can watch for free with an antenna.

The only games you need a cable bundle for are the ones on BTN and ESPN -- i.e. weak early season games and Indiana/Rutgers type games.

So watch those at a bar (bars will have outdoor distanced viewing areas). Or don't watch them at all and just listen to the radio.

But if you want to stop the incessant price increases for sports programming, the only way is to stop paying for it.

The moment BTN can make more money with a stand-alone streaming service than it gets from cable bundles, then BTN will follow HBO and go standalone. I don't mind paying a hefty fee to BTN (even if it's $20 a month). But I'll be damned if I pay $64 a month and be supporting ESPN and Fox News and 200 channels I'll ever watch.

Last edited:
Man, I love the unlimited DVR on all TV's on YTTV - that is going to be hard for me to give up - plus I watch 4 to 5 hours of CNBC everyday and I cannot get that anywhere else.

I am thinking the best way to go (excluding the issue with live sports if you want to watch them) is to essentially go through a rotation of the 'channel's'. So go with Netflix, Amazon Prime and CBS all access for 3-4 months and binge watch what you want and then cancel. Then get Peacock (the new NBC on line like CBS access), Disney, and HBO for 3-4 months and watch what they have on, and so forth. Such that by the time you come back around to what you originally started with it is 12-18 months later and those channels have added some new stuff to watch or catch what you didn't watch the last time. Not to mention the constant 'free' trials these networks have (ie..right now History Vault is free for until July 5 so I am watching Sons of Liberty and a couple of other random things that are going to take up the weekend and paused the watching of other channels). I think that is the best way to keep the pricing down to a reasonable amount yet catch all the shows you want to watch.

Man, I love the unlimited DVR on all TV's on YTTV - that is going to be hard for me to give up - plus I watch 4 to 5 hours of CNBC everyday and I cannot get that anywhere else.

NBC is launching Peacock, can you get your fix there?

Three weeks ago, after 25+ years with DTV, I switched to YTTV. DTV kept playing pricing games.

We have Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, ESPN and Prime. Now I plan on dropping YTTV and maybe just go to an antenna for locals. What do you do for DVR for the locals?

My recent cord cutting experience with DTV.....

A few months ago when my 2 year contract was up I called DTV and just as I expected they didn't do much to keep me. I had heard that they were really not interested in keeping customers and were letting most offers/discounts expire. I had a $70/mo discount which had my bill at $155 (including internet with ATT), after talking to there customer retention department they did nothing and my bill was going to go up. So I cancelled and signed up for YTTV. They told me that I would get an email about a week before my billing cycle would end giving me instructions on what to do with the equipment.

So when that email never came I called them, while trying to get to a person to talk to, I eventually ended up at some other department different from the cancellation/customer retention one where they make a last ditch effort to keep you. Low and behold they gave me an offer that I couldn't refuse, they let me keep the $70/mo discount and gave me another $50/mo for six months, no contracts, and during the call they told me that they're running a special on their Gigabit service for $45/mo, saving me another $5 a month over a much slower service.

So I ended up at $100/mo for DTV's second best tier of channels with Showtime and One gig internet service and these discounts don't go away if I lower the channel line up, I have $120/mo (for 6 months) to work with for TV.

Funny how things work out.

Speaking of YTTV. Is there a way to get the clock on the live guide? I’m discovering the only thing I miss about Comcast this ost month has been the clock on the dvr box. . I’ll probably just get a cheap clock to out in the space the big box used to be.

Speaking of YTTV. Is there a way to get the clock on the live guide? I’m discovering the only thing I miss about Comcast this ost month has been the clock on the dvr box. . I’ll probably just get a cheap clock to out in the space the big box used to be.
I don't believe so, but good suggestion.

I am thinking the best way to go (excluding the issue with live sports if you want to watch them) is to essentially go through a rotation of the 'channel's'. So go with Netflix, Amazon Prime and CBS all access for 3-4 months and binge watch what you want and then cancel. Then get Peacock (the new NBC on line like CBS access), Disney, and HBO for 3-4 months and watch what they have on, and so forth. Such that by the time you come back around to what you originally started with it is 12-18 months later and those channels have added some new stuff to watch or catch what you didn't watch the last time. Not to mention the constant 'free' trials these networks have (ie..right now History Vault is free for until July 5 so I am watching Sons of Liberty and a couple of other random things that are going to take up the weekend and paused the watching of other channels). I think that is the best way to keep the pricing down to a reasonable amount yet catch all the shows you want to watch.
Or just figure out what you want and pay for it....it’s a lot easier.

Youtube TV and Fubo TV are in the same price increase death spiral as cable TV.

The networks keep demanding higher fees, but as prices increase, more people drop out and go with less expensive alternatives. So the pool of people paying shrinks, therefore the price paid by each household has to increase in order to pay the network fees, That's why YouTube TV has gone from $34 a month to $64 a month in about 3 years.

If all you care about is Penn State football, remember you get the vast majority of games -- and the best games -- on broadcast networks, which you can watch for free with an antenna.

The only games you need a cable bundle for are the ones on BTN and ESPN -- i.e. weak early season games and Indiana/Rutgers type games.

So watch those at a bar (bars will have outdoor distanced viewing areas). Or don't watch them at all and just listen to the radio.

But if you want to stop the incessant price increases for sports programming, the only way is to stop paying for it.

The moment BTN can make more money with a stand-alone streaming service than it gets from cable bundles, then BTN will follow HBO and go standalone. I don't mind paying a hefty fee to BTN (even if it's $20 a month). But I'll be damned if I pay $64 a month and be supporting ESPN and Fox News and 200 channels I'll ever watch.
Watching games in a bar sucks especially if you don’t live in PSU country and no one else watches the game. I’ll pay whatever it takes to be able to watch all the games from the comfort of my own home.

I have subscriptions to (or access to) Netflix, Prime, Hulu, YouTube Premium, HBO, and Disney. I have 3 kids aged 7-11. Although I don't have YouTube TV (yet), my 3 kids watch YouTube more than any other service. It's obvious to me that it's the wave of the future. A bunch of no talent hacks making mindless, uneducational videos. And my kids eat it up..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT